1. Standard memberPhlabibit
    Mystic Meg
    tinyurl.com/3sbbwd4
    Joined
    27 Mar '03
    Moves
    17242
    16 May '05 15:32
    I once told a friend here at RHP that I thought Christian Fundamentalists were just pulling the legs of others to piss everyone off, and even make Real Christians look bad.

    He assured me this was not the case, and some people really think that way.

    I still don't buy it. Any thoughts?

    ES
  2. Standard memberfrogstomp
    Bruno's Ghost
    In a hot place
    Joined
    11 Sep '04
    Moves
    7707
    16 May '05 15:37
    Originally posted by Phlabibit
    I once told a friend here at RHP that I thought Christian Fundamentalists were just pulling the legs of others to piss everyone off, and even make Real Christians look bad.

    He assured me this was not the case, and some people really think that way.

    I still don't buy it. Any thoughts?

    ES
    same thought I had the first time I heard Jerry Falwell.." Is this a put on? "
  3. Joined
    01 Sep '04
    Moves
    29935
    16 May '05 22:34
    Originally posted by Phlabibit
    I once told a friend here at RHP that I thought Christian Fundamentalists were just pulling the legs of others to piss everyone off, and even make Real Christians look bad.

    He assured me this was not the case, and some people really think that way.

    I still don't buy it. Any thoughts?

    ES
    Christian Fundies (speaking for myself), are just people like anyone else (of course we come from every walk of life and are found everywhere on the globe), but we have discovered something great and want to share it! Like when you find a great pizza place, you think to spread the word (small w).

    The thing that might make us look bad is the same thing stated above; 'we are just people like anyone else!' Some are smarter than others and some are ill tempered or impatient, but if you watch us over time we generally move away from such foolishness toward maturity. As we grow closer to God and His Holy Spirit, the 'fruit of the Spirit' referred to in Galatians 5 start to grow and we become more attractive than we were before.

    The growth rate depends on the comittment level just like a student's GPA depends on his study time. God's desire is to be close to all people, and pour out all kinds of blessings, mainly the best stuff; the Spiritual stuff that you feel deep down inside. I highly recommend it to all my fellow people!
  4. Joined
    16 Dec '04
    Moves
    97738
    17 May '05 19:16
    Originally posted by chinking58
    Christian Fundies (speaking for myself), are just people like anyone else (of course we come from every walk of life and are found everywhere on the globe), but we have discovered something great and want to share it! Like when you find a great pizza place, you think to spread the word (small w).

    The thing that might make us look bad is the same thing ...[text shortened]... Spiritual stuff that you feel deep down inside. I highly recommend it to all my fellow people!
    I doubt that any believer is trying to piss any one off. A believer has the duty to spread the Gospel of JESUS CHRIST. A message that most do not want to hear. What the problem is that most are happy to be living in sin. Those that are living in sin and know that they are, really don't want to reminded of the fact. There are those that have known the Salvation of JESUS CHRIST, hate to be reminded of how they have come up short. Also just as the days that CHRIST walked the earth, Most did not want to hear what HE, had to say. And just as HE taught, how the world treated HIM, it would treat us the same way. Believers are not trying to offend anyone but, it is the Word that we speak that offends the sinner. But also what the sinner does not realize,is that their sin offends GOD. Sooner than most think, there is a price to pay for offending GOD.
  5. Joined
    21 Oct '04
    Moves
    17038
    17 May '05 23:26
    Originally posted by chinking58
    Christian Fundies (speaking for myself), are just people like anyone else (of course we come from every walk of life and are found everywhere on the globe), but we have discovered something great and want to share it! Like when you find a great pizza place, you think to spread the word (small w).

    The thing that might make us look bad is the same thing ...[text shortened]... Spiritual stuff that you feel deep down inside. I highly recommend it to all my fellow people!
    Thumbs Up chinking 🙂
  6. Subscriberno1marauder
    Humble and Kind
    In the Gazette
    Joined
    22 Jun '04
    Moves
    39559
    17 May '05 23:37
    Originally posted by blindfaith101
    I doubt that any believer is trying to piss any one off. A believer has the duty to spread the Gospel of JESUS CHRIST. A message that most do not want to hear. What the problem is that most are happy to be living in sin. Those that are living in sin and know that they are, really don't want to reminded of the fact. There are those that have known th ...[text shortened]... s that their sin offends GOD. Sooner than most think, there is a price to pay for offending GOD.
    Another arrogant post from the little boy with the usual touches of self-righteousness, self-pity and "they'll be sorry" we expect from such brats. One finger up to you, blindfaith.
  7. R.I.P.
    Joined
    21 Dec '01
    Moves
    8578
    18 May '05 00:09
    Originally posted by blindfaith101
    I doubt that any believer is trying to piss any one off. A believer has the duty to spread the Gospel of JESUS CHRIST. A message that most do not want to hear. What the problem is that most are happy to be living in sin. Those that are living in sin and know that they are, really don't want to reminded of the fact. There are those that have known th ...[text shortened]... s that their sin offends GOD. Sooner than most think, there is a price to pay for offending GOD.
    Not just blind but deaf & dumb as well!😉
  8. Standard memberColetti
    W.P. Extraordinaire
    State of Franklin
    Joined
    13 Aug '03
    Moves
    21735
    18 May '05 02:46
    Originally posted by blindfaith101
    I doubt that any believer is trying to piss any one off. A believer has the duty to spread the Gospel of JESUS CHRIST. A message that most do not want to hear. What the problem is that most are happy to be living in sin. Those that are living in sin and know that they are, really don't want to reminded of the fact. There are those that have known th ...[text shortened]... s that their sin offends GOD. Sooner than most think, there is a price to pay for offending GOD.
    Well said. I have to admit sometime I try to piss people off - but that is one of my sins I'm working on (or I should say the Holy Spirit is). I had to erase a third of one of my recent replies because I was returning insults for insults. But even when I restrain myself, and present the only the gospel - people find it offensive. And so even when you present as honest reply like you have here, some will take offense. But that is what the Word tells us, that the world will hate Christians. So count it as a blessing, and knock the dust off your shoes as you leave.
  9. Standard memberfrogstomp
    Bruno's Ghost
    In a hot place
    Joined
    11 Sep '04
    Moves
    7707
    18 May '05 02:57
    Originally posted by Coletti
    Well said. I have to admit sometime I try to piss people off - but that is one of my sins I'm working on (or I should say the Holy Spirit is). I had to erase a third of one of my recent replies because I was returning insults for insults. But even when I restrain myself, and present the only the gospel - people find it offensive. And so even when you pre ...[text shortened]... l hate Christians. So count it as a blessing, and knock the dust off your shoes as you leave.
    You guys don't seem to have a clue to what the word of the kingdom is. the gospel is Christ's testament noboby else's.

  10. Joined
    24 Apr '05
    Moves
    3061
    18 May '05 03:16
    Originally posted by Phlabibit
    I once told a friend here at RHP that I thought Christian Fundamentalists were just pulling the legs of others to piss everyone off, and even make Real Christians look bad.

    He assured me this was not the case, and some people really think that way.

    I still don't buy it. Any thoughts?

    ES
    yes i think fundamentalists really do think that way.

    in my experience, i find it difficult to debate fundamentalists for a couple of reasons:

    1. they come off as extremely arrogant because their doctrines allow no room for outside interpretation or the occasional dose of speculation. where i see dark and light shades of grey, they see only black and white.

    2. trying to apply logic to probe the validity of their claims is generally futile since their claims are largely faith-based, not proof-based. the argument 'the bible is right because it is the bible' gets me every time.



  11. Subscriberno1marauder
    Humble and Kind
    In the Gazette
    Joined
    22 Jun '04
    Moves
    39559
    18 May '05 03:24
    Originally posted by LemonJello
    yes i think fundamentalists really do think that way.

    in my experience, i find it difficult to debate fundamentalists for a couple of reasons:

    1. they come off as extremely arrogant because their doctrines allow no room for outside interpretation or the occasional dose of speculation. where i see dark and light shades of grey, they see only black ...[text shortened]... ased. the argument 'the bible is right because it is the bible' gets me every time.



    And from the two posts in this thread alone:


    3. They shed crocodile tears that they are being treated badly when they are the ones shouting that other people are going to be damned for all eternity unless they adopt their peculiar viewpoints. I think the no1 reason that these people adopt this type of faith is that it places them in a small, special circle and punishes the vast majority of humanity who they loathe. I'd say all these people have some serious psychological problems and a persecution complex that causes them to want to lash out at their fellow human beings and they have found a belief system that will show all those people who they believe have treated them badly. Note I am specifically referring to those on this site who constantly scream that they are going to heaven and 99% of the rest of humanity will be forever damned; not Christians in general.
  12. Standard memberColetti
    W.P. Extraordinaire
    State of Franklin
    Joined
    13 Aug '03
    Moves
    21735
    18 May '05 04:07
    Originally posted by LemonJello
    yes i think fundamentalists really do think that way.

    in my experience, i find it difficult to debate fundamentalists for a couple of reasons:

    1. they come off as extremely arrogant because their doctrines allow no room for outside interpretation or the occasional dose of speculation. where i see dark and light shades of grey, they see only black ...[text shortened]... ased. the argument 'the bible is right because it is the bible' gets me every time.



    How do you define fundamentalist? I suppose I consider myself a fundamentalist because I believe the Bible as an axiomatic foundation for truth.

    But I see logic as axiomatic also. It would be impossible for me to believe anything without logic. Some things are black and white because of the nature of God and the clarity with which He has revealed them in Scripture. Other things are uncertain (gray) because I do not (can not) understand all things perfectly, including God's Word.

    It is true that some fundamentalist are irrational - but not because the concept of fundamentalism is irrational, but because of a rejection of logic or because they claim to believe contradictions.
  13. Joined
    21 Oct '04
    Moves
    17038
    18 May '05 04:10
    Originally posted by no1marauder
    And from the two posts in this thread alone:


    3. They shed crocodile tears that they are being treated badly when they are the ones shouting that other people are going to be damned for all eternity unless they adopt their peculiar viewpoints. I think the no1 reason that these people adopt this type of faith is that it places them in ...[text shortened]... ing to heaven and 99% of the rest of humanity will be forever damned; not Christians in general.
    Instead of telling about an individual, why dont you tell about christians in general?
  14. Melbourne, Australia
    Joined
    17 Feb '04
    Moves
    49977
    18 May '05 04:18
    Originally posted by Coletti
    How do you define fundamentalist? I suppose I consider myself a fundamentalist because I believe the Bible as an axiomatic foundation for truth.

    But I see logic as axiomatic also. It would be impossible for me to believe anything without logic. Some things are black and white because of the nature of God and the clarity with which He has revealed the ...[text shortened]... rational, but because of a rejection of logic or because they claim to believe contradictions.
    Wow.
    I'm amazed that you can state that you're a fundamentalist AND that it would be impossible to believe anything without logic.
    There seems to me to be no logical framework for a belief in the bible as some sort of supernatural book of law - passed down from on high.
  15. Joined
    24 Apr '05
    Moves
    3061
    18 May '05 04:321 edit
    Originally posted by Coletti
    How do you define fundamentalist? I suppose I consider myself a fundamentalist because I believe the Bible as an axiomatic foundation for truth.

    But I see logic as axiomatic also. It would be impossible for me to believe anything wit ...[text shortened]... ection of logic or because they claim to believe contradictions.
    How do you define fundamentalist?


    yes, fair question, and i probably should have already elaborated on this. i personally tend to see fundamentlism as a rather strict characterization. in particular, i think a necessary condition (but not in itself sufficient) for being a fundamentalist is that one believes the bible is literally true on all accounts. (there may be weak and strong versions of fundamentalism -- i'm not really sure.)

    from what i gather from reading many of your posts, you do not fit this description, coletti, as you have stated before that you do not think the bible should be taken literally on all accounts (correct me if i'm wrong). in this sense, i would characterize you as far too level-headed to be a true fundamentalist. further, i have enjoyed and continue to enjoy your posts as a general rule because you usually seem to offer some interpretive insight and room for leeway into your belief system rather than just robotically regurgitating scripture and playing the 'the bible is right because it is the bible' trump card -- these are also traits i would ascribe to the non-fundie.

    most of my ranting above was directed toward a few strict fundamentalists i know (not necessarily all here on this website), and was not directed generally at christians. i do not believe fundamentalism necessarily implies irrational thought, but the strict fundamentalists i know would rather gouge their eyes out than admit the bible may contain an error.

Back to Top