Originally posted by FreakyKBH
    Nutty, ain't I?
    *mimes extreme craziness*
  2. Unknown Territories
    Moves
    21 Apr '06 15:46
    Originally posted by Bosse de Nage
    *mimes extreme craziness*
    No sense doing something half-butted, right?
  3. Standard membertelerion
    True X X Xian
    The Lord's Army
    Moves
    21 Apr '06 17:36
    Originally posted by FreakyKBH
    It's always so cute when the experts chime in with their "most Christians" and "only a vocal minority" assertions. Despite rejecting it wholesale, they are keenly aware of its adherents' beliefs. How quaint.
    Of course I'm keenly aware of it! Most of my family is xian. Nearly all of my friends from childhood, as well as their families, are xian. Of these, nearly all of them are either some form of Baptist, CMA, or what I'll call "spirit-filled" (e.g. Pentacostal, Calvary Chapel, Ass. of God, Church of Christ). From observation, I've found that a member of one of these sects of xianity is almost always anti-evolution (usually young earth as well they though not with as much frenquency as the other traits).

Fortunately, I have had the opportunity to meet many other types of xians (Catholics, Lutherans, Methodists, Anglicans, on and on), and I've observed that these types rarely adhere to a literalist interpretation of Genesis.

Examining various estimates of membership in the US, I have found that the first types make up roughly 40% percent of xians (maybe a bit less). Finally, I also have strong anecdotal reason to believe that the US is particularly saturated with anti-evolutionist xians, so that worldwide, I estimate fewer than 40% of xians are anti-evolutionists.

What I find quaint is the continual error by some xians here of equating some one who rejects xianity with some one who has no familiarity with xianity or the Bible.
  4. Standard memberPalynka
    Upward Spiral
    Halfway
    Moves
    21 Apr '06 17:51
    Originally posted by telerion
    Of course I'm keenly aware of it! Most of my family is xian. Nearly all of my friends from childhood, as well as their families, are xian. Of these, nearly all of them are either some form of Baptist, CMA, or what I'll call "spirit-filled" (e.g. Pentacostal, Calvary Chapel, Ass. of God, Church of Christ). From observation, I've found that a member of on ...[text shortened]... me one who rejects xianity with some one who has no familiarity with xianity or the Bible.
    I come from a country with over 90% "official" Roman Catholics (only Poland has a higher percentage in Europe) and the creationist movement is non-existent.

I'm actually surprised at the idea that 40% of american Christians are anti-evolution. I thought creationism was being pushed by much less representative lobbies with important political weight. 40% of Christians is a huge number...
  5. Standard membertelerion
    True X X Xian
    The Lord's Army
    Moves
    21 Apr '06 18:591 edit
    Originally posted by Palynka
    I come from a country with over 90% "official" Roman Catholics (only Poland has a higher percentage in Europe) and the creationist movement is non-existent.

I'm actually surprised at the idea that 40% of american Christians are anti-evolution. I thought creationism was being pushed by much less representative lobbies with important political weight. 40% of Christians is a huge number...
    I'll have to look for the figure, but it's something like 20% of americans believe that Jesus will return in their lifetime and another 20% believe he'll return in the next 50 years.

I also saw a figure on C-SPAN that had almost 50% of adults answering "false" to the following question:

"The Earth revolves around the Sun and takes 1 year to complete 1 revolution."

With stats like that, not much will surprise me anymore.

Edit: That's American adults
  6. Donationkirksey957
    Outkast
    With White Women
    Moves
    21 Apr '06 20:07
    I'll have to look for the figure, but it's something like 20% of americans believe that Jesus will return in their lifetime and another 20% believe he'll return in the next 50 years.

I also saw a figure on C-SPAN that had almost 50% of adults answering "false" to the following question:

"The Earth revolves around the Sun and takes 1 year to complete 1 ...[text shortened]... ts like that, not much will surprise me anymore.

Edit: That's American adults
    Yes, when we get our theology from a damn cartoon what should we expect?
  7. Standard memberCrowley
    Not Aleister
    Control room
    Moves
    21 Apr '06 22:57
    Ass. of God
    HAHA
    Sorry 😳
  8. Standard membertelerion
    True X X Xian
    The Lord's Army
    Moves
    21 Apr '06 23:33
    Originally posted by Crowley
    HAHA
    Sorry 😳
    I figured I'd better add the period to avoid the modbot.
  9. Standard memberCrowley
    Not Aleister
    Control room
    Moves
    22 Apr '06 02:57
    I figured I'd better add the period to avoid the modbot.
    Live on the edge a little.
  10. Subscribershavixmir
    Guppy poo
    Sewers of Holland
    Moves
    23 Apr '06 05:46
    Sweet holy hell...

There's me thinking the story was about a talking mammoth and a long toothed tiger...

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree