1. Standard memberRBHILL
    Acts 13:48
    California
    Moves
    21 Mar '12 14:32
    If man wrote the Bible and was not inspired by God then why would they put this in the Bible: 2 Thessalonians 3:10b "If a man will not work, he shall not eat."
  2. Milton Keynes, UK
    Moves
    21 Mar '12 14:40
    Originally posted by RBHILL
    If man wrote the Bible and was not inspired by God then why would they put this in the Bible: 2 Thessalonians 3:10b "If a man will not work, he shall not eat."
    Good point! You have me convinced.

I am now no longer atheist.
  3. Joined
    02 Aug '06
    Moves
    21 Mar '12 14:43
    Since I have been on this Forum we have never really had a good discussion about what Inspiration of the Bible really means. There are a number of different schools of thought on what it means to say the Bible is inspired by God.

I fear that most skeptical posters assume this means inspired the way a work of art or a play or piece of classical music is "inspired".

Theologically, Inspiration is a rather particular thing. The word is common. The theological usage is unique.

I think the passage that you quoted could as well be due to common place ethics. It is not a passage I would use before all others about the bible's inspiration.

Obviously, even the non-theist wants the member of society to carry his load and not JUST consume. Does that really require divine inspiration to say "Hey, get to work lazybones!" ?
  4. Standard memberRBHILL
    California
    Moves
    21 Mar '12 14:57
    Originally posted by lausey
    Good point! You have me convinced.

I am now no longer atheist.
    Praise God!!!
  5. Standard memberRBHILL
    California
    Moves
    21 Mar '12 14:58
    Originally posted by jaywill
    Since I have been on this Forum we have never really had a good discussion about what [b]Inspiration of the Bible really means. There are a number of different schools of thought on what it means to say the Bible is inspired by God.

I fear that most skeptical posters assume this means inspired the way a work of art or a play or piece of classical mus ...[text shortened]... consume. Does that really require divine inspiration to say "Hey, get to work lazybones!" ?[/b]
    Very good comment.
  6. Standard memberSwissGambit
    Caninus Interruptus
    Moves
    21 Mar '12 15:27
    Maybe the writer of Thessalonians was a hard worker and hated lazy people [and did not care about the disabled, the insane, etc.].
  7. Joined
    02 Aug '06
    Moves
    21 Mar '12 23:182 edits
    Originally posted by SwissGambit
    Maybe the writer of Thessalonians was a hard worker and hated lazy people [and did not care about the disabled, the insane, etc.].
    The church in Thessalonika was a young church with many young believers in Christ. They were excited by Paul's teaching about the second coming of Christ.

As a result of this excitement some of them dropped their responsibilities and presumed to just "wait for the Lord" to come. While it is commendable to have the hope of Christ's coming it is not godly to absolve oneself from practical responsibilities.

That is the context of Paul's word that they should follow typical employment and not neglect it.

Through the years the same error has been repeated here and there. Some Bible students thought the second coming of Christ was just around the corner. They dropped jobs, doned on white garments or some such thing and in doing so usually brought disrepute to the Christian church.
  8. Windsor, Ontario
    Moves
    22 Mar '12 00:38
    why wouldn't they put it in the bible?

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree