1. Subscriberjosephw
    Owner
    Scoffer Mocker
    Moves
    09 Apr '08 10:391 edit
    Lately we have seen videos of preachers, and now a sect busted for apparent child abuse.

We all know of people and religious organisations that conduct themselves in a way that is not consistent with Christian dogma.

I'm not exactly sure where I'm trying to go with this, but I'm thinking of that soldier that threw himself on a grenade to save the lives of his friends. While Christians speak of what it means to be a Christian, I believe there are those that actually live it.

Any thoughts?
  2. Cape Town
    Moves
    09 Apr '08 11:09
    Originally posted by josephw
    Any thoughts?
    I attended a Catholic secondary school run by the Christian Brothers. They are Irish. They dedicate their lives to teaching. I can also think of lots of other people I know who try their best to live what they believe to be a good Christian life.
    What concerns me though is the number of people I can think of who don't. Why would a Christian not follow Christian principles? Why would someone not act as if they believe what they claim they do?
  3. Donationkirksey957
    Outkast
    With White Women
    Moves
    10 Apr '08 01:09
    Lately we have seen videos of preachers, and now a sect busted for apparent child abuse.

We all know of people and religious organisations that conduct themselves in a way that is not consistent with Christian dogma.

I'm not exactly sure where I'm trying to go with this, but I'm thinking of that soldier that threw himself on a grenade to save the live ...[text shortened]... it means to be a Christian, I believe there are those that actually live it.

Any thoughts?
    I believe that cult could use a few grenades.
  4. Subscriberjosephw
    Owner
    Scoffer Mocker
    Moves
    10 Apr '08 01:21
    Originally posted by twhitehead
    I attended a Catholic secondary school run by the Christian Brothers. They are Irish. They dedicate their lives to teaching. I can also think of lots of other people I know who try their best to live what they believe to be a good Christian life.
    What concerns me though is the number of people I can think of who don't. Why would a Christian not follow Christian principles? Why would someone not act as if they believe what they claim they do?
    "Why would a Christian not follow Christian principles? Why would someone not act as if they believe what they claim they do?"

Because the haven't figured out how to die to sin. Or they just don't care. Or they are just claiming to be a Christian. Who knows!

Ro 6:11 Likewise reckon ye also yourselves to be dead indeed unto sin, but alive unto God through Jesus Christ our Lord.

It ain't easy!
  5. Subscriberjosephw
    Owner
    Scoffer Mocker
    Moves
    10 Apr '08 01:24
    Originally posted by kirksey957
    I believe that cult could use a few grenades.
    You're right. At least the others are out in the open, even if they are wrong.
    But those morons in Texas are hiding in the dark. Gives Christians a bad name.
  6. Standard memberNemesio
    Ursulakantor
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Moves
    10 Apr '08 05:17
    I'm not exactly sure where I'm trying to go with this, but I'm thinking of that soldier that threw himself on a grenade to save the lives of his friends. While Christians speak of what it means to be a Christian, I believe there are those that actually live it.
    What say you of an atheist who throws himself on a grenade for his friends?

Nemesio
  7. Subscriberjosephw
    Owner
    Scoffer Mocker
    Moves
    12 Apr '08 01:31
    Originally posted by Nemesio
    What say you of an atheist who throws himself on a grenade for his friends?

Nemesio
    He's toast! :'(
  8. Donationkirksey957
    Outkast
    With White Women
    Moves
    12 Apr '08 01:55
    "Greater love hath no man that he would lay down his life..."

You need to read the Bible more.
  9. Standard memberNemesio
    Ursulakantor
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Moves
    12 Apr '08 06:071 edit
    Wow. You just don't know your Bible. You can see the beauty in a Christian's giving his life
    for his friends, but not the atheist?

Indeed, the atheist has more to lose -- his sacrifice is greater -- because he has nothing
    else but his life. The theist himself would contend that his soul is immortal and cannot be
    harmed by anyone but himself. If you were to die this very night, either by natural causes
    or by a grizzly, awful death, your soul (you contend) would remain perfect and holy. If you
    jump on the grenade, you've lost nothing but this ephemeral existence which only serves as
    a transition to the next, eternal and perfect existence. You've sacrificed very little. The atheist,
    however, contends to have nothing but this life. His sacrifice is ultimate, with no recompense,
    not even the ability to posthumously reflect on the nobility of his actions.

I should think you could see the beauty of this.

Nemesio
  10. Standard membercaissad4
    Child of the Novelty
    San Antonio, Texas
    Moves
    12 Apr '08 08:01
    This is not about religion. It is about child abuse...
    Many groups of Fundamentalist Mormons practice polygamy but require husband and wife to be over 18 years of age. Since both are adults this presents no major legal problem.
    Polygamy (spiritual marriage) is practiced in many religious communities throughout the world and is not illegal in the US.
    It only becomes illegal (bigamy) when multiple unresolved marriages are filed as legal documents.
    This group in Texas was considered extreme even among Fundamentalist Mormons.

They are child molesters and should be treated as such.
  11. Joined
    04 Feb '05
    Moves
    15 Apr '08 07:37
    there's nothing christian about those asswipes

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree