1. Subscriberjosephw
    Owner
    Scoffer Mocker
    Moves
    18 Feb '11 19:57
    Originally posted by twhitehead
    Do you have a logical reason for thinking that, or is it just because it fits in nicely with your religion?
    Well, I like to think I do.

How do you reply to this statement?

Enlightenment is knowledge.
  2. Cape Town
    Moves
    18 Feb '11 20:06
    Originally posted by josephw
    How do you reply to this statement?

Enlightenment is knowledge.
    I am not sure what it means. Are you saying 'Enlightenment' means simply becoming more knowledgeable?

You said:
    But, I also think that enlightenment is dependant on an enlightener.
    So are you claiming that all those Buddhist monks who meditate in the search for enlightenment are doomed to failure?

One may be an enlightenee, but true enlightenment requires an absolute authority;
    What do you mean by 'true enlightenment'?

a being above question or council by the enlightened.
    So if the one being enlightened does not trust the authority he cannot be enlightened? Why is this?
  3. Subscriberjosephw
    Owner
    Scoffer Mocker
    Moves
    24 Feb '11 04:231 edit
    I am not sure what it means. Are you saying 'Enlightenment' means simply becoming more knowledgeable?

You said:
    [b]But, I also think that enlightenment is dependant on an enlightener.

So are you claiming that all those Buddhist monks who meditate in the search for enlightenment are doomed to failure?

One may be an enlightenee, but true enl he one being enlightened does not trust the authority he cannot be enlightened? Why is this?
  4. Subscriberjosephw
    Owner
    Scoffer Mocker
    Moves
    24 Feb '11 04:27

You said:
    [b]But, I also think that enlightenment is dependant on an enlightener.

One may be an enlightenee, but true enl ...[text shortened]... he one being enlightened does not trust the authority he cannot be enlightened? Why is this?
    "I am not sure what it means. Are you saying 'Enlightenment' means simply becoming more knowledgeable?"

I'm not an authority on the subject, but it seems obvious that to be 'enlightened' means having knowledge about something that makes one 'enlightened'.

Do I think Buddhist monks are doomed to fail to achieve enlightenment because I said I think enlightenment is dependant on an enlightener?

If enlightenment is knowing something that only God can teach, and Buddhist monks deny the existence of God, then isn't it obvious?

What do I mean by 'true enlightenment'? Some say enlightenment can be attained by meditating, or by doing something that gives one enlightenment. One may become enlightened about this or that, but I always associated the idea of enlightenment with awareness. Awareness of what you say? Truth I think.

So therefore, true enlightenment is becoming aware of truth.

You ask, 'So if the one being enlightened does not trust the authority he cannot be enlightened? Why is this?'

After thinking about this a bit, this idea came to mind. The authority, and that which one is enlightened by or with, is one and the same. If one does not trust the chair, one will not sit on it.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree