1. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    15 Mar '13 20:27
    http://www.youtube.com/user/mhfm1?v=WRB16BARvz0&feature=pyv&ad=7367214632&kw=shroud%20of%20jesus
  2. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    15 Mar '13 21:37
    Originally posted by RJHinds
    http://www.youtube.com/user/mhfm1?v=WRB16BARvz0&feature=pyv&ad=7367214632&kw=shroud%20of%20jesus
    OK, I accept that the shroud is a genuine burial garment of a person who was brutalised and wrapped in it.

What now?
  3. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    15 Mar '13 23:32
    Originally posted by divegeester
    OK, I accept that the shroud is a genuine burial garment of a person who was brutalised and wrapped in it.

What now?
    How did the image appear on the cloth?
  4. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    16 Mar '13 00:34

What now?
    The atheist in that video can not honestly deny that the Shroud is the burial garment of Jesus. What he has decided to do is deny the resurrection by claiming that the early Christians saw this image of Jesus instead of the real resurrected body.
  5. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    16 Mar '13 20:27
    Originally posted by RJHinds
    The atheist in that video can not honestly deny that the Shroud is the burial garment of Jesus. What he has decided to do is deny the resurrection by claiming that the early Christians saw this image of Jesus instead of the real resurrected body.
    Read my post again dude and THEN post a reply.
  6. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    16 Mar '13 20:29
    Originally posted by Suzianne
    How did the image appear on the cloth?
    How would I know! How does the centre of the sun work, I don't know that either but I believe it is the sun. Not sure what you are getting at.
  7. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    17 Mar '13 00:361 edit
    How would I know! How does the centre of the sun work, I don't know that either but I believe it is the sun. Not sure what you are getting at.
    What I'm getting at is that in all of recorded history, there is no other burial shroud with an image on it. So whatever got the image on the cloth had to be an extraordinary event.

Now whether that event was the resurrection of Jesus Christ or the handiwork of some medieval artist is another question, one that hasn't been answered yet.

Your attitude about the sun is similar to RJ's attitude about the Shroud. He doesn't know how the image got there either, but he believes it is the burial cloth around Jesus as He was resurrected. The only difference is that you can see the sun, but RJ has his evidence via scripture.

You, however, are willing to believe it is the burial shroud of a person. If so, then how do you suppose the image got there? Would it have gotten there had it been someone else's burial shroud and not that of Jesus? How often does that happen to 'normal' burial shrouds? I'm just asking you to step out of yourself and imagine RJ's belief system (only so far as it regards the Shroud), if only for a moment.
  8. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    17 Mar '13 01:131 edit

What now?
    What now?

I think now it is only a small stretch to identify the crucified person, whose image is on that Shroud, as Jesus, who is described in the New Testament to have been killed in exactly the same manner.
  9. Standard membermenace71
    Can't win a game of
    38N Lat X 121W Lon
    Moves
    17 Mar '13 04:33
    I thing it is believed the image is a perfect negative if I remember correctly. When viewed as a negative it makes a positive image this was one of the unique things about the image and doubt any artist could of created the image. I believe it is thought to be intense radiation like an atomic flash

Manny
  10. Standard membermenace71
    Can't win a game of
    38N Lat X 121W Lon
    Moves
    17 Mar '13 04:38
    http://www.shroud.com/

Manny
  11. Standard membermenace71
    Can't win a game of
    38N Lat X 121W Lon
    Moves
    17 Mar '13 04:40
    Something cool but eerie right now I took a negative picture of the image and indeed it looks like a positive image in which you can see more detail

Manny
  12. Standard membermenace71
    Can't win a game of
    38N Lat X 121W Lon
    Moves
    17 Mar '13 04:51
    http://abcnews.go.com/blogs/headlines/2011/12/the-shroud-of-turin-wasnt-faked-italian-experts-say/

Previous investigation has determined the markings could not have come from pigments or dyes.
    The Italian scientists said the marks could only have been made by “a short and intense burst of VUV directional radiation.”

Manny
  13. Standard membermenace71
    Can't win a game of
    38N Lat X 121W Lon
    Moves
    17 Mar '13 05:18
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shroud_of_Turin

The Image part is the most compelling or at least the hardest to answer how it got there scientifically

Manny
  14. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    17 Mar '13 12:021 edit
    Originally posted by Suzianne
    What I'm getting at is that in all of recorded history, there is no other burial shroud with an image on it. So whatever got the image on the cloth had to be an extraordinary event.

Now whether that event was the resurrection of Jesus Christ or the handiwork of some medieval artist is another question, one that hasn't been answered yet.

Your attitude magine RJ's belief system (only so far as it regards the Shroud), if only for a moment.
    Let me make myself perfectly clear, I don't care for the shroud because it is an idol, a relic, another vicarious point of interest other than Jesus Christ, it is a distraction and for some a crutch onto which they rest their battered faith in the vain hope this grotty little rag will somehow rekindle the fire that once burned brightly if at all.

The God I vaguely know is not interested in such things because there is only one point of interest we should be directing people to and that Jesus Christ and his completed work at Calvary 2000 years ago.

So you see I can believe it is a real person but I honestly don't care one way or the other. I would wager a lot to say it is not Jesus Christ though and yes I do find it astounding that people seeking God pay any regard to this distraction.
  15. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    17 Mar '13 14:46
    Let me make myself perfectly clear, I don't care for the shroud because it is an idol, a relic, another vicarious point of interest other than Jesus Christ, it is a distraction and for some a crutch onto which they rest their battered faith in the vain hope this grotty little rag will somehow rekindle the fire that once burned brightly if at all.

The ...[text shortened]... gh and yes I do find it astounding that people seeking God pay any regard to this distraction.
    I personally don't care for relics either, as, like you, I believe our focus should indeed be our Lord Jesus Christ.

But it goes beyond that. If this relic or relics like these bring people to God then it's all good. People like RJH point to items like this and say it proves their faith. Now a lot of emphasis is laid on "proof" in this forum, and I'm sure that this is what caused RJH to launch into the whole discussion we've been having about the Shroud in this forum in the first place.

Now I also say that I have the faith of the mustard seed, an unshakeable faith that cannot be displaced by a handful of atheists in this forum, try as they might. All this said, the legitimacy of the Shroud of Turn has not been proven to me beyond the shadow of a doubt. To me, it holds no further proof of God than any other relic, and furthermore, my faith does not depend on it being proven, either.

But this still doesn't stop my being fascinated by it (and discussion of it), as it easily 'could' be true. No matter if it were found to be false OR true tomorrow, I doubt that would change my life either way. But it also doesn't make me want to stamp my feet and yell "Who cares?" to any that would listen.

I just wanted you to have a little (just a little is enough) empathy for RJ's excitement for an item that he feels "proves" his faith. Just to step beyond your "tsk, tsk"-ing for one moment and see it from his side, that's all.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree