Intelligent design question

Intelligent design question

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

a

Meddling with things

Moves
19 Jul 05

When was ID first postulated? Serious question! I'd like key publications and their dayes. I'm off on hols and fancy a little light reading.

W
Angler

River City

Moves
19 Jul 05

Originally posted by aardvarkhome
When was ID first postulated? Serious question! I'd like key publications and their dayes. I'm off on hols and fancy a little light reading.
The phrase "intelligent design", used in this sense, first appeared in Christian creationist literature, including the textbook Of Pandas and People (Haughton Publishing Company, Dallas, 1989). The term was promoted more broadly by the retired legal scholar Phillip E. Johnson following his 1991 book Darwin on Trial. Johnson is the program advisor of the Center for Science and Culture and is considered the father of the intelligent design movement.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Intelligent_design

Imagine that! Google knows everything.

Wait a minute, if google knows everything, it is omniscient by definition. If only God is omniscient, then google must be God.

y

Moves
19 Jul 05

Ideas similar to ID were assumed as true prior to Darwin. All species were considered separate creations, designed, etc. The modern version of ID, however, really kicked off I think with Micheal Denton's Evolution: A Theory in Crisis. Some other good ID books I know of are: Michael Behe's 'Darwin's Black Box', Thomas Woodward's 'Doubts about Darwin' (a good overview of the history of design), William Dembinski (don't know the titles), and Phillip Johnson's 'Darwin on Trial'. Take your pick and enjoy.

a

Meddling with things

Moves
19 Jul 05

Originally posted by yousers
Ideas similar to ID were assumed as true prior to Darwin. All species were considered separate creations, designed, etc. The modern version of ID, however, really kicked off I think with Micheal Denton's Evolution: A Theory in Crisis. Some other good ID books I know of are: Michael Behe's 'Darwin's Black Box', Thomas Woodward's 'Doubts about Darwin ...[text shortened]... (don't know the titles), and Phillip Johnson's 'Darwin on Trial'. Take your pick and enjoy.
Are there any peer reviewed papers that start the ball rolling for ID. I expect credible journals of similar stature to Nature, Plant Cell etc would be the place for well researched papers debating alternatives to evolution

DC
Flamenco Sketches

Spain, in spirit

Moves
19 Jul 05

Are there any peer reviewed papers that start the ball rolling for ID. I expect credible journals of similar stature to Nature, Plant Cell etc would be the place for well researched papers debating alternatives to evolution
Best of luck with that. It appears many IDers have been reticent in submitting their work for peer review.

W
Angler

River City

Moves
19 Jul 05

I know of one peer reviewed article that advocates ID

S.C. Meyer, “The Origin of Biological Information and the Higher Taxonomic Categories,” Proceedings of the Biological Society of Washington, 117(2) (2004): 213-239.

However, the Discovery Institute offers and annotated bibliography of several, including the one I cite. You may view it at: http://www.discovery.org/scripts/viewDB/index.php?command=view&id=2640&program=CSC%20-%20Scientific%20Research%20and%20Scholarship%20-%20Science

The annoted bibliography prints out to a mere 8 pages. You shouldn't have much difficulty reading everything on the list before happy hour. 😉

a

Meddling with things

Moves
19 Jul 05

Originally posted by Wulebgr
I know of one peer reviewed article that advocates ID

S.C. Meyer, “The Origin of Biological Information and the Higher Taxonomic Categories,” Proceedings of the Biological Society of Washington, 117(2) (2004): 213-239.

However, the Discovery Institute offers and annotated bibliography of several, including the one I cite. You may view it at: http://www ...[text shortened]... pages. You shouldn't have much difficulty reading everything on the list before happy hour. 😉
Thats a pretty thin list on their website