1. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    28 Mar '14 16:42
    Originally posted by sonhouse
    Who is the 'I' who have found, etc?

Ah, I saw the link at the bottom of your C&P, David Kowalski.

But the basic argument here is based on the idea that Christianity or theism is based on absolute truth. They are taking the argument based on superiority of merit.

That is only a supposition, there is no proof of any kind of god and more evidence i ...[text shortened]... st of what it built?

It is hard for me to believe people could fall for that as a real tale.
    You've examined the scripture and considered the claims of Christ. The sovereignty of God and the free will of man coexist; He does not coerce man's volition. Therefore, I respect your self determination and choice to believe in Christ or to reject the eternal life He made possible in favor of an eternity separated from God. "He who believes in the Son has eternal life; but he who does not obey [the command to believe in] the Son shall not see life, but the wrath of God abides on him." John 3:36
  2. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    28 Mar '14 16:44
    Originally posted by Great King Rat
    It's still name calling. You are doing the very thing you are accusing atheists of.
    I respect your right to hold an opinion contrary to my own.
  3. Joined
    24 Apr '10
    Moves
    28 Mar '14 16:45
    Belief or lack thereof is not a choice.

Rinse and repeat.
  4. Joined
    24 Apr '10
    Moves
    28 Mar '14 16:46
    Originally posted by Grampy Bobby
    I respect your right to hold an opinion contrary to my own.
    I don't know what that means. I do know that you are accusing atheists of namecalling while simultaneously doing the same thing.
  5. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    28 Mar '14 16:49
    Originally posted by SwissGambit
    The majority of it is; I won't bother trying to salvage something like that.

If you expect a serious response from us skeptics, you'll have to do better.
    Any comment n the concluding question regarding "hatred": "This unavoidably causes me to question just what spirit is inspiring their hatred. Now just what spirit might hate God and the gospel message to such a degree?"
  6. Joined
    24 Apr '10
    Moves
    28 Mar '14 16:50
    Atheists don't hate god.

In fact that's impossible.

Sorry for butting in.
  7. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    28 Mar '14 16:52
    I don't know what that means. I do know that you are accusing atheists of namecalling while simultaneously doing the same thing.
    You refer to the OP; I asked for "comment". You disagree. I accept your disagreement.
  8. Joined
    24 Apr '10
    Moves
    28 Mar '14 17:01
    Do you agree that you are doing the same thing you are accusing atheists of?
  9. Standard memberSwissGambit
    Caninus Interruptus
    Moves
    28 Mar '14 17:11
    Atheists don't hate god.

In fact that's impossible.

Sorry for butting in.
    I could possibly hate him in the same way I hate a movie villain.
  10. Standard memberSwissGambit
    Caninus Interruptus
    Moves
    28 Mar '14 17:11
    Originally posted by Grampy Bobby
    Any comment n the concluding question regarding "hatred": "This unavoidably causes me to question just what spirit is inspiring their hatred. Now just what spirit might hate God and the gospel message to such a degree?"
    Nope.
  11. Joined
    24 Apr '10
    Moves
    28 Mar '14 17:17
    I could possibly hate him in the same way I hate a movie villain.
    Fair enough, though I'd guess the difference would be that for the duration of the movie, part of your brain believes the villain is real, whereas atheists simply don't believe in a god.

Personally, as much as I despise religion and the BS that comes with it, I can honestly say I don't hate "god". Really, it just sounds silly as I am writing it.
  12. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    28 Mar '14 17:19
    Do you agree that you are doing the same thing you are accusing atheists of?
    You won't get him to agree to anything. He is a spammer. And a passive-aggressive. He's just trying to wind you up. See: twhitehead's initial response & answer.
  13. Standard memberSwissGambit
    Caninus Interruptus
    Moves
    28 Mar '14 17:24
    Fair enough, though I'd guess the difference would be that for the duration of the movie, part of your brain believes the villain is real, whereas atheists simply don't believe in a god.

Personally, as much as I despise religion and the BS that comes with it, I can honestly say I don't hate "god". Really, it just sounds silly as I am writing it.
    Yes, an effective villain causes you to suspend disbelief for a time and really feel loathing toward them. Sometimes strongly enough where years later you think back to their scenes in the movie and briefly feel the same revulsion over again.

God is not a terribly effective fictional villain because he is usually portrayed in a sympathetic light even when he is killing thousands.
  14. Standard memberSwissGambit
    Caninus Interruptus
    Moves
    28 Mar '14 17:261 edit
    Belief or lack thereof is not a choice.

Rinse and repeat.
    This needs to be repeated often in this forum. Maybe it will start to sink in.
  15. Joined
    24 Apr '10
    Moves
    28 Mar '14 17:27
    This needs to be repeated often in this forum. Maybe it will start to sink in.
    I applaud your optimism :-)

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree