1. Joined
    21 Feb '04
    Moves
    12 Feb '07 04:51
    It's quite interesting how many of the right-wingers from 'Debates' are Christians ...
  2. Joined
    29 Nov '06
    Moves
    12 Feb '07 11:24
    Originally posted by treetalk
    It's quite interesting how many of the right-wingers from 'Debates' are Christians ...
    I don't see what's so interesting. The two things seem to be associated. It would be more interesting if all the left wingers were christians
  3. Joined
    16 Oct '06
    Moves
    12 Feb '07 11:36
    It's strange when you consider that The New Testament's description of Jesus is clearly left wing.
  4. Joined
    19 Nov '03
    Moves
    12 Feb '07 11:39
    Originally posted by Ian68
    It's strange when you consider that The New Testament's description of Jesus is clearly left wing.
    Inside every liberal New Testament Christian there's a right wing Old Testament militant trying to get out.
  5. Joined
    29 Nov '06
    Moves
    12 Feb '07 12:13
    It doesn't matter what the Bible says. It will read however people want it to read
  6. Standard memberorfeo
    Paralysed analyst
    On a ship of fools
    Moves
    12 Feb '07 12:191 edit
    As a left wing Christian, the thing that makes me most furious about the rise of the Christian right is that it has given the impression that Christians are inherently right wing, which is a load of rubbish. Go back a couple of decades and the most politically active part of the church was the decidedly left-wing Catholic church in Latin America.

Edit: I still vividly recall a meeting at our church about 5-7 years ago, when a visiting right-wing speaker started talking as if his political point of view was inherently correct and what all good Christians would think. A man from our church best described as the 'ageing hippy' type could barely contain his outrage - not at the guest's point of view, but at his arrogance of attitude to think that his political views were inherently Christian.

It was fun to watch.
  7. CA, USA
    Moves
    12 Feb '07 14:28
    It's quite interesting how many of the left-wingers from 'Debates' are ego-centric 12 yr olds ...

Ok .. maybe not that interesting at all, maybe just dull and childish.
  8. Standard memberHalitose
    I stink, ergo I am
    On the rebound
    Moves
    12 Feb '07 16:10
    And what do you have against right-wingers -- don't you know they're always right?

*tautology disclaimer.
  9. Joined
    23 Sep '05
    Moves
    12 Feb '07 16:38
    Originally posted by jammer
    It's quite interesting how many of the left-wingers from 'Debates' are ego-centric 12 yr olds ...

Ok .. maybe not that interesting at all, maybe just dull and childish.
    Hey!? I resent that! 😠 I'm not twelve! I am dull and childish, though. 😞

But I'm not twelve, dammit! 😠
  10. Felicific Forest
    Moves
    12 Feb '07 19:321 edit
    These right wing Christians should get acquainted with the Social Doctrine of the Church. It is about time for them not only to advocate Christian stances concerning abortion, euthanasia and stem-cell research but also concerning social policies. These teachings are more left wing than what the US Dems and the UK Labour Party have produced in this field:

THE PRINCIPLES OF
    THE SOCIAL DOCTRINE OF THE CHURCH

http://www.columbia.edu/cu/augustine/arch/social.html

PONTIFICAL COUNCIL FOR JUSTICE AND PEACE

COMPENDIUM
    OF THE SOCIAL DOCTRINE
    OF THE CHURCH

http://www.vatican.va/roman_curia/pontifical_councils/justpeace/documents/rc_pc_justpeace_doc_20060526_compendio-dott-soc_en.html
  11. Standard memberBigDogg
    Secret RHP coder
    on the payroll
    Moves
    12 Feb '07 21:06
    Is it? Consider his parables that end with poor saps getting cast into the outer darkness, or his cursing the fig tree, or his laying the smack down on the money-changers in the temple...
  12. Felicific Forest
    Moves
    12 Feb '07 21:16
    Originally posted by BigDoggProblem
    Is it? Consider his parables that end with poor saps getting cast into the outer darkness, or his cursing the fig tree, or his laying the smack down on the money-changers in the temple...

COMPENDIUM
    OF THE SOCIAL DOCTRINE
    OF THE CHURCH

http://www.vatican.va/roman_curia/pontifical_councils/justpeace/documents/rc_pc_justpeace_doc_20060526_compendio-dott-soc_en.html

Read it !
  13. Standard memberBigDogg
    Secret RHP coder
    on the payroll
    Moves
    12 Feb '07 21:191 edit
    Originally posted by ivanhoe

COMPENDIUM
    OF THE SOCIAL DOCTRINE
    OF THE CHURCH

Read it !
    Must it really have brown text on a brown background? Someone fire off an encylical on proper webpage contrast, Stat!

Edit:

1) Isn't the Bible long enough? I've read that several times, you know. Can't you defend it directly without dropping another tome in my lap?
    2) The bloody thing is 138,323 words long and 305 pages when pasted into MS Word!
    3) There is nothing in there about "money changers" or "outer darkness" (not even the word 'outer' by itself!). All those words and yet nothing about the topics I raised?

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree