Interview With a Biochemist

Interview With a Biochemist

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

rc

Moves
02 Nov 10

An Interview With a Biochemist

In 1996, Michael J. Behe, now professor of biochemistry at Lehigh University in Pennsylvania, U.S.A., released his book Darwin’s Black Box—The Biochemical Challenge to Evolution. The May 8, 1997, issue of Awake! carried a series of articles under the title “How Did We Get Here?—By Accident or by Design?” which referred to Behe’s book. In the decade since Darwin’s Black Box was published, evolutionary scientists have scrambled to counter the arguments Behe raised. Critics have accused him of allowing his religious convictions—he is Roman Catholic—to cloud his scientific judgment. Others claim that his reasoning is unscientific. Awake! interviewed Professor Behe to learn why his ideas have caused such controversy.

AWAKE!: WHY DO YOU FEEL THAT LIFE PROVIDES EVIDENCE OF INTELLIGENT DESIGN?

PROFESSOR BEHE: We infer design whenever we see complex functional arrangements. Take, for instance, the machines we use every day—a lawn mower, a car, or even simpler things. An example I like to use is a mousetrap. You conclude that it is designed because you see different parts arranged to perform the function of catching a mouse.

Science has now advanced enough to have uncovered the foundation level of life. And much to our surprise, scientists have found functional, complex machinery at the molecular level of life. For instance, within living cells there are little molecular “trucks” that carry supplies from one side of the cell to the other. There are tiny molecular “sign posts” that tell these “trucks” to turn left or right. Some cells have molecular “outboard motors” that propel the cells through liquid. In any other context, when such functional complexity is evident, people would conclude that these things were designed. We have no other explanation for this complexity, claims of Darwinian evolution notwithstanding. Since it’s been our uniform experience that this sort of arrangement bespeaks design, we are justified in thinking that these molecular systems were also intelligently designed.

AWAKE!: WHY IN YOUR OPINION DO THE MAJORITY OF YOUR COLLEAGUES DISAGREE WITH YOUR CONCLUSIONS REGARDING INTELLIGENT DESIGN?

PROFESSOR BEHE: Many scientists disagree with my conclusions because they see that the idea of intelligent design has extrascientific implications—that it seems to point strongly beyond nature. This conclusion makes many people nervous. However, I was always taught that science is supposed to follow the evidence wherever it leads. In my view it is a failure of nerve to back away from something that is so strongly indicated by the evidence simply because you think the conclusion has unwelcome philosophical implications.

AWAKE!: HOW DO YOU RESPOND TO CRITICS WHO CLAIM THAT ACCEPTING THE IDEA OF INTELLIGENT DESIGN PROMOTES IGNORANCE?

PROFESSOR BEHE: The conclusion of design is not due to ignorance. It’s not due to what we don’t know; it’s due to what we do know. When Darwin published his book The Origin of Species 150 years ago, life seemed simple. Scientists thought that the cell was so simple that it might just spontaneously bubble up from sea mud. But since then, science has discovered that cells are enormously complex, much more complex than the machinery of our 21st-century world. That functional complexity bespeaks purposeful design.

AWAKE!: HAS SCIENCE PRODUCED ANY EVIDENCE TO PROVE THAT EVOLUTION, BY MEANS OF NATURAL SELECTION, COULD HAVE CREATED THE COMPLEX MOLECULAR MACHINES THAT YOU TALK ABOUT?

PROFESSOR BEHE: If you search the scientific literature, you will discover that nobody has made a serious attempt—an experimental attempt or detailed scientific model—that explains how such molecular machines arose by Darwinian processes. This is despite the fact that in the ten years since my book was published, many scientific organizations, such as the National Academy of Sciences and the American Association for the Advancement of Science, have issued urgent appeals to their membership to do everything they can to fend off the idea that life provides evidence of intelligent design.

AWAKE!: HOW DO YOU RESPOND TO THOSE WHO POINT TO FEATURES OF PLANTS OR ANIMALS THAT THEY CLAIM ARE POORLY DESIGNED?

PROFESSOR BEHE: Just because we don’t know the reason for some feature in an organism does not mean that it doesn’t have an important role to play. For example, so-called vestigial organs were once thought to show that the human body and other organisms were poorly designed. The appendix and the tonsils, for instance, were once thought to be vestigial organs and were routinely removed. But then it was discovered that these organs play a role in the immune system, and they are no longer considered vestigial.

Another point to remember is that in biology certain things apparently do occur by chance. But just because my car has a dent in it or gets a flat tire does not mean that the car or the tire was not designed. Likewise, the fact that some things occur by chance in biology does not mean that the sophisticated, complex molecular machinery of life arose by chance. That argument is simply not logical.

source: Awake published by Jehovahs witnesses has an average monthly printing of 38,451,000 and is available in 84 languages.

F

Moves
02 Nov 10

Originally posted by robbie carrobie

In 1996, Michael J. Behe, now professor of biochemistry at Lehigh University in Pennsylvania, U.S.A., released his book Darwin’s Black Box—The Biochemical Challenge to Evolution. The May 8, 1997, issue of Awake! carried a series of articles under the title “How Did We Get Here?—By Accident or by Design?” which referr ...[text shortened]... hovahs witnesses has an average monthly printing of 38,451,000 and is available in 84 languages.
This I found at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Michael_Behe about Michael J. Behe:

"Behe's claims about the irreducible complexity of essential cellular structures have been rejected by many members of the scientific community, and his own biology department at Lehigh University published an official statement opposing Behe's views and intelligent design."

rc

Moves
02 Nov 10
2 edits

Originally posted by FabianFnas
This I found at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Michael_Behe about Michael J. Behe:

"Behe's claims about the irreducible complexity of essential cellular structures have been rejected by many members of the scientific community, and his own biology department at Lehigh University published an official statement opposing Behe's views and intelligent design."
it seems to me Fabian that you have not read the article that i posted, for if you had, you would realise that Behe was asked that very question, infact it was in bold type,

WHY IN YOUR OPINION DO THE MAJORITY OF YOUR COLLEAGUES DISAGREE WITH YOUR CONCLUSIONS REGARDING INTELLIGENT DESIGN?

perhaps you might like to read the article and draw your own conclusions, with your own mind.

R
Standard memberRemoved

Moves
02 Nov 10

In 1996, Michael J. Behe, now professor of biochemistry at Lehigh University in Pennsylvania, U.S.A., released his book Darwin’s Black Box—The Biochemical Challenge to Evolution. The May 8, 1997, issue of Awake! carried a series of articles under the title “How Did We Get Here?—By Accident or by Design?” which referr ...[text shortened]... hovahs witnesses has an average monthly printing of 38,451,000 and is available in 84 languages.
O the irony, finally a JW publishing a Roman Catholic.

F

Moves
02 Nov 10

it seems to me Fabian that you have not read the article that i posted, for if you had, you would realise that Behe was asked that very question, infact it was in bold type,

WHY IN YOUR OPINION DO THE MAJORITY OF YOUR COLLEAGUES DISAGREE WITH YOUR CONCLUSIONS REGARDING INTELLIGENT DESIGN?

perhaps you might like to read the article and draw your own conclusions, with your own mind.
No, you're right, I haven't read the article. I just wanted to show what some sources think about Mr Behe. Nothing more. It's up to everyone to make his own decision about Mr Behe.

rc

Moves
02 Nov 10
1 edit

Originally posted by Conrau K
O the irony, finally a JW publishing a Roman Catholic.
Lol, i agree, it is rather cheeky, not he is just any Roman Catholic, but a professor of biochemistry at Lehigh University Roman Catholic,

M.J. Behe (peace be upon him)

rc

Moves
02 Nov 10
1 edit

No, you're right, I haven't read the article. I just wanted to show what some sources think about Mr Behe. Nothing more. It's up to everyone to make his own decision about Mr Behe.
i applaud your honesty Fabian and as our national poet stated,

Give fools their silks, and knaves their wine;
A Man's a Man for a' that:
For a' that, and a' that,
Their tinsel show, an' a' that;
The honest man, tho' ever so poor,
Is king o' men for a' that.

🙂

D
Dasa

Brisbane Qld

Moves
02 Nov 10
1 edit

Its interesting when you post something like that in this forum, because you immediately get all the dishonest persons coming to attack it...its so funny how a grown adult can speak out against intelligent desighn, its just so dishonest.

Keep it up because i enjoy the read, but Ive always enjoyed truth.

Also the article has nothing to do with the man himself, it is an article that any honest man could sighn his name to, and the University is run by atheists, so their comments are worthless.

F

Moves
02 Nov 10

i applaud your honesty Fabian
Thank you for you nice words about my honesty. Yes, I never lie.

Whenever someone ask me to read something, I generally first do a reserach of the author, just to se if it is worth to read it. In this case, even his collegues at his own departement at the University where he is employed, don't support his ideas, then why should I? And I think this is what we do.

Robbie, have you read Darwins book "On the Origin of Species"? No, I didn't think so. (Neither have I.) Yet it is written in your mother tongue. Would you care to read it? No, I didn't think so either. I understand your reluctance. Do you understand mine?

t

Moves
02 Nov 10

HERE IS AN AWAKENING, THERE IS NOT ONE SOUL WITH MORE OR LESS INTELLIGENT THAN ANOTHER, FOR ANYONE'S IS IMMEASURABLE WHEN FOUND! Sorry robbie =p

I couldn't resist =p

Moves
02 Nov 10

Whenever someone ask me to read something, I generally first do a reserach of the author, just to se if it is worth to read it. In this case, even his collegues at his own departement at the University where he is employed, don't support his ideas, then why should I? And I think this is w ...[text shortened]... ead it? No, I didn't think so either. I understand your reluctance. Do you understand mine?
Is that so? 🙂 I wonder if you are up for a debate about that...

rc

Moves
02 Nov 10
1 edit

Whenever someone ask me to read something, I generally first do a reserach of the author, just to se if it is worth to read it. In this case, even his collegues at his own departement at the University where he is employed, don't support his ideas, then why should I? And I think this is w ead it? No, I didn't think so either. I understand your reluctance. Do you understand mine?
actually yes i have, not all of it though, but in part, it was not very interesting, he basically looks out of his window, sees everything eating everything else and forms a theory. i have a copy in my home library i bought.

rc

Moves
02 Nov 10

Originally posted by tacoandlettuce
HERE IS AN AWAKENING, THERE IS NOT ONE SOUL WITH MORE OR LESS INTELLIGENT THAN ANOTHER, FOR ANYONE'S IS IMMEASURABLE WHEN FOUND! Sorry robbie =p

I couldn't resist =p
its twoo its twoo 🙂

Cornovii

North of the Tamar

Moves
02 Nov 10

Lol, i agree, it is rather cheeky, not he is just any Roman Catholic, but a professor of biochemistry at Lehigh University Roman Catholic,

M.J. Behe (peace be upon him)
He also accepts evolution and that man descended from apes.

rc

Moves
02 Nov 10

Originally posted by Proper Knob
He also accepts evolution and that man descended from apes.
yes but we wont talk about that, hes a Catholic, hes bound to have some weird ideas.