Is philosophical reasoning regarding God meanin...

Is philosophical reasoning regarding God meanin...

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cape Town

Moves
26 Oct 07

Originally posted by Yuga
I suppose people primarily exploit science for monetary gain and philosophy for metaphysical or unscientific (?) discussion.
I think you would offend a significant proportion of scientists with that statement. Many scientists are involved in science for reasons other than monetary gain. What monetary gain has NASA ever produced? In fact most government supported science is a monetary drain.

Insanity at Masada

tinyurl.com/mw7txe34

Moves
29 Oct 07

Originally posted by twhitehead
I think you would offend a significant proportion of scientists with that statement. Many scientists are involved in science for reasons other than monetary gain. What monetary gain has NASA ever produced? In fact most government supported science is a monetary drain.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Memory_foam

TD8

Moves
29 Oct 07

There is no possible reason on Earth to believe in God apart from people telling you to. Using an ounce of reason should get any reasonable person to this conclusion.

As for anthropomorphisizing I think it's so obvious that in making up the concept of God people want to think it's like us, or we're like him. But who is like him? God is made in MANs image. He is pictured and thought of as a white, wise old man (like the guy on the chessmaster cover! Or Gandalf from Lord of the Rings). It's no coincidence that HE looks like that.

Or that Every God from Every culture is so much like the people of it. Hindsight is 20/20. We're in the year 2007, I wish everyone would forget that the concept of God ever existed and we would govern ourselves without the thought of an afterlife or any other insane religious concepts. The histilities between Muslims, Jews, Christians would be a lot less meaningful, being only cultural. I'd imagine tension wouldn't disappear but over time the thought of fighting over holy land would seem as insane as it really is. Dirt is dirt, aside from historical signifigance.

I just think of how mindless it is when I watch any sport and the victor thanks God and whoever loses thinks God is testing them.

Religious people are the first to tell you you need faith to believe in God. They discourage reason passionately. Unless they talk about Christian "Science," which is an oxymoron. I'm not going to say anymore--my point is pretty clear.

TD8

Moves
29 Oct 07

Regarding whether it is meaningless to have philisophical enquiry into God: I think it's pretty telling that this post does not belong in the debate section but in the separate section for spirituality!

People discuss spirituality. People have their own opinions on it and they're all right because they're all wrong. Debating is for things that actually exist.