1. Felicific Forest
    Moves
    29 May '05 16:351 edit

...... a reaction to specific societal developments in the country during the last five or six decennia ?

What are your thoughts ?
  2. Standard memberDavid C
    Flamenco Sketches
    Spain, in spirit
    Moves
    29 May '05 16:48
    Originally posted by ivanhoe

...... a reaction to specific societal developments in the country during the last five or six decennia ?

What are your thoughts ?
    Perhaps. The decline of educational standards springs to mind, which is surprising given the multitude of advances in technology. It could be the population growth has exceeded the investment in educating them.
  3. Standard membertelerion
    True X X Xian
    The Lord's Army
    Moves
    29 May '05 16:53
    I think the US has always been an especially religious place. In the last few decades however, wealthy Protestants have spearheaded a major reaction to the liberal movement of the 60's and 70's which were in turn reactions to the conformist 50's. These powerful evangelical politicos seek to restore a 50's style social atmosphere.

That's my sense of it, Wulbegr would be an especially good RHPer to comment.
  4. Standard memberDavid C
    Flamenco Sketches
    Spain, in spirit
    Moves
    29 May '05 16:57
    Originally posted by telerion
    These powerful evangelical politicos seek to restore a 50's style social atmosphere.
    Do you consider that to be a positive or a negative?
  5. Not Kansas
    Moves
    29 May '05 18:01
    Is Fundyism rising or just getting more press? Is America dumbing down or is it just perception?
  6. Standard membertelerion
    True X X Xian
    The Lord's Army
    Moves
    30 May '05 01:27
    Originally posted by David C
    Do you consider that to be a positive or a negative?
    Generally negative. The 50's that they remember or imagine (if they weren't alive then) is not the 50's that everyone else remembers.
  7. Joined
    24 Apr '05
    Moves
    30 May '05 01:53
    Originally posted by ivanhoe

What are your thoughts ?
    is that really true -- that fundies are becoming more the norm? do you have any references to back that up (i ask just out of curiosity)?

if it's true, then i don't know what it would be due to. if anything, i would have thought that the broadening of the term 'socially acceptable' that has occurred over the years would signal a reduction in fundie thinking.