1. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    02 Dec '15 14:141 edit
    Originally posted by divegeester
    thoughts?
    It is better to stand on God's word that we have been crucified with Christ. The things that plague us and cause us sorrow Jesus has taken up to the cross to terminate them. As usual, Jesus does a better job.

Suicide is obsolete and ineffective.
    It is better to seize by faith the truth promised in knowing Jesus -

We have been crucified and buried with Christ.
    We have been raised to walk in the newness of life in Him.
  2. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    02 Dec '15 14:27
    Originally posted by sonship
    It is better to stand on God's word that we have been crucified with Christ. The things that plague us and cause us sorrow Jesus has taken up to the cross to terminate them. As usual, Jesus does a better job.

Suicide is obsolete and ineffective.
    It is better to seize by faith the truth promised in knowing Jesus -

We have been crucified and buried with Christ.
    We have been raised to walk in the newness of life in Him.
    We agree that suicide is not a good idea. I'm not sure how "obsolete" and "ineffective" fit as suitable adjectives though.

Are you saying suicide is not a sin?
  3. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    02 Dec '15 14:55
    I don't think these scriptures support your premise that a) suicide is a sin and this specific sin means that the person committing suicide loses their heavenly reward.
    In Romans 12:1 we are told to be a "living" sacrifice, not a dead one.
    Rom 12:1-2
    beseech you therefore, brethren, by the mercies of God, that you present your bodies a living sacrifice, holy, acceptable to God, which is your reasonable service.
    NKJV

We are also told that if you have been redeemed by the blood of Christ, your life is not your own. It belongs to Christ.
    1 Cor 6:19-20
    Or do you not know that your body is the temple of the Holy Spirit who is in you, whom you have from God, and you are not your own? 20 For you were bought at a price; therefore glorify God in your body and in your spirit, which are God's.
    NKJV

To take your own life would be going against God's will for you.
    Suicide is not a righteous act...
    1 John 5:17
    7 All unrighteousness is sin, and there is sin not leading to death.
    NKJV
  4. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    02 Dec '15 14:591 edit
    We agree that suicide is not a good idea.

It is not a good idea.

Years ago (40 years) I met a very searching philosophically minded slightly older man in a park in Philadelphia. No one else was around on that Sunday morning. So we struck up a conversation about life.

The more he described his dilemmas of life to me the more I felt his case was pretty much beyond remedy. He seemed to have no answers to his seeking.

Then when I gently suggested suicide, he said something that floored me. He said that would be for him the ultimate cop out.

I realized that perhaps I was projecting out loud. And as down as he was he surprised me that not facing his problems but retreating into self destruction was to him "the ultimate cop out."

I did not know Jesus Christ at that time. I think I since discovered that the objective one wants to obtain in suicide is far, far better realized through oneness with Jesus Christ.

His death can actually operate in and for you on you.

We agree that suicide is not a good idea. I'm not sure how "obsolete" and "ineffective" fit as suitable adjectives though.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I'm pretty sure that it is better to appropriate by faith the faithfulness of God that we are crucified with Christ.

If you have 20 dollars in your left pocket and you give it all away, you remain with nothing at all. If you have another 10 billion in the other pocket somehow, once you give away the 20 dollars you have "left overs".

Jesus Christ is the incalculable rich "left overs" one has still, once he has given all else up. If the unbeliever gives up his all he has nothing left. The believer in Christ still has an unsearchably rich treasure of infinite preciousness once he gives up his assumed all.

The fact of the matter is that God saw already that you were hopeless and only good to die. He saw that before you were even born. So He made provision for that in having Christ die for you.

I am serious. He died not only a redemptive death. He died a terminating death.

--------------------------------------------------------

Yes. If this is the main thing you are interested in, I will not be debating anyone about it. You know I always have my own agenda. And here I wish to highlight that Jesus has made suicide obsolete. His death is actually available to us to benefit from.

And His resurrection is also, with His ascension, enthronement, and kingship. What a Man !
  5. Standard memberDeepThought
    Losing the Thread
    Quarantined World
    Moves
    02 Dec '15 17:24

I have to agree "Obsolete" can hardly be the right word as I think suicides in the U.K. are at a relative high. "Ineffective" also seems a little surreal unless one is talking about a failed suicide, but I don't think that's the context. Had it been someone who believes in reincarnation describing suicide as ineffective it might make more sense - there isn't much point in topping oneself if all that is going to happen is that one is born again immediately after.
  6. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    02 Dec '15 18:52
    Originally posted by DeepThought
    I have to agree "Obsolete" can hardly be the right word as I think suicides in the U.K. are at a relative high. "Ineffective" also seems a little surreal unless one is talking about a failed suicide, but I don't think that's the context. Had it been someone who believes in reincarnation describing suicide as ineffective it might make more sense - there ...[text shortened]... t in topping oneself if all that is going to happen is that one is born again immediately after.
    Suicide is done to solve a problem. That is an unsolvable problem of some sort. But you see, becoming like Jesus Christ triumphs over any possible problem the universe could offer - period.

By "becoming like Jesus Christ" I mean having the living and available Jesus Christ dispense Himself into your being. He has a way to do that so that you become a kind of "compound" person - a man or woman compounded with Christ the Victor.

Imagine a man in a boat going down a river. And in the river the obstacle of a large rock in the middle of the stream makes passing impossible. Man's concept is that always the rock must be removed. The grace of God is that that water level rises so that the boat can sail OVER the barrier.

The level of life must be increased. And that is precisely what Jesus Christ is in the business of doing. It is called by some of us "resurrection life."
  7. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    02 Dec '15 22:181 edit
    Yes. If this is the main thing you are interested in, I will not be debating anyone about it.
    It's the title of the thread 😕
  8. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    02 Dec '15 23:12
    Are you embarrassed to say what you believe?
    I don't believe that God wants people to kill themselves.

How's that for an answer?
  9. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    02 Dec '15 23:40
    It's the title of the thread 😕
    The point is taken.
    I don't know too much about a specific prohibition on taking one's own life.
  10. Joined
    10 Jan '08
    Moves
    03 Dec '15 01:08
    thoughts?
    Depends on what you leave behind.
  11. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    03 Dec '15 07:51
    Originally posted by whodey
    I don't believe that God wants people to kill themselves.

How's that for an answer?
    Weak, incomplete, dodging, flippant.

Par for the course.
  12. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    03 Dec '15 07:54
    The point is taken.
    I don't know too much about a specific prohibition on taking one's own life.
    Yes exactly, thank you. There is nothing in scripture whatsoever and yet some Christians will say the most horrible things about the fate and attitude of people who commit suicide. It disgusts me; it's another reason unbelievers are repelled by those who propagate a pseudo-gospel of their own making and reveals much about the spirit of those who preach it.
  13. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    03 Dec '15 07:55
    Originally posted by Trev33
    Depends on what you leave behind.
    Q Is suicide a sin?
    A Depends of what you leave behind...

Interesting, care to expand?
  14. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    03 Dec '15 12:14
    thoughts?
    Those who dare to judge have not walked the requisite mile in their neighbor's shoes.
  15. Standard memberDeepThought
    Losing the Thread
    Quarantined World
    Moves
    03 Dec '15 12:53
    Yes exactly, thank you. There is nothing in scripture whatsoever and yet some Christians will say the most horrible things about the fate and attitude of people who commit suicide. It disgusts me; it's another reason unbelievers are repelled by those who propagate a pseudo-gospel of their own making and reveals much about the spirit of those who preach it.
    I think the historical basis for the prohibition comes from the very early days of the church in Rome. Christianity offers redemption of sins and a more-or-less guarantee of eternal life once one has been baptised. What is more the early Christians had varying ideas about whether it was possible to blot one's copy book after baptism. This is why various emperors and kings would convert towards the end of their reign rather than at the start - they'd fight their battles as pagans and only convert when they thought their position was sufficiently secure that they wouldn't have to worry about things like "Thou shalt not kill." being a policy defect in a ruler.

Having been promised life after death in paradise, once baptised the obvious move was to be an early arrival. The prohibition arose to prevent the rush.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree