1. Joined
    11 Nov '05
    Moves
    17 Apr '09 21:51
    Originally posted by Scriabin
    ...but he's got more lutefisk than sense between his ears.
    Again: Rude, rude...
  2. Standard memberScriabin
    Done Asking
    Washington, D.C.
    Moves
    17 Apr '09 21:53
    Originally posted by Palynka
    Haha! Accusations of plagiarism in a Nasreddin story. đŸ˜”
    helloooooo ???

geez.

what we ought to talk about, not debate, but just talk about, is whether Nazrudin was a Sufi, a Dervish, or why he is a character that shows up from Eastern Europe to China.

Don't you just love Nasrudin stories?

And how about comparing Nasrudin to Coyote? The tribes of the southwest USA pueblos may have their ancient prehistoric origins in central Asia -- could this be why Coyote seems quite similar to Nazrudin? Are Nazrudin and Coyote cousins to Loki?

Nazrudin stories are almost universal in the points they make -- why not use them to illustrate and discuss things?
  3. Standard memberScriabin
    Done Asking
    Washington, D.C.
    Moves
    17 Apr '09 21:53
    Originally posted by FabianFnas
    I'll try being nicer if you'll try being smarter, ok?
  4. Standard memberScriabin
    Done Asking
    Washington, D.C.
    Moves
    17 Apr '09 21:55
    Originally posted by twhitehead
    It simply doesn't. The story does not in any way show that morals are ultimately selfish.
    that is non-responsive. the witness is directed to answer the question or withdraw his objection. Otherwise the objection shall be over ruled as without foundation or proper support.
  5. Joined
    11 Nov '05
    Moves
    17 Apr '09 22:01
    I'll try being nicer if you'll try being smarter, ok?
    Yet a rude posting. Are you always this rude to people?
  6. Standard memberScriabin
    Done Asking
    Washington, D.C.
    Moves
    17 Apr '09 22:041 edit
    Originally posted by Bosse de Nage
    That's his interpretation of the story, which he ought to explain.

What's yours?
    ok, I contend that the point of morality is not altruism, but rather to serve one's own interests by using non-violent, non-coercive means to find a consensus position that all parties can accept.

Since Nazrudin determined accurately that his lunch companion would have chosen the smaller fish out of politeness, expecting Nazrudin to demur, our Mullah took advantage.

The joke is clear -- but the point being made also is pretty clear. People from very different economic, cultural, and educational backgrounds should not make assumptions based on manners -- they should be clear about what they want.

Morality is at its base a form of ethical conduct meant to allow one to advance one's own interests in a non-violent and reasonable manner so as to avoid unnecessary conflicts.

Morality is not synonymous with altruism.

To clarify what I mean by selfish, I am not talking about excessive individuality.

Behaviors that can be said to be moral developed in all likelihood, according to biologists, because they provided possible survival and/or reproductive benefits.

Thus, while moral behavior curbs excessive individual selfishness, the pursuit of social cooperation through moral or ethical behavior is, in itself, a way of advancing one's own interests.

We all have the drive to survive. Nazrudin merely cut through the bull crap and claimed the lion's share of the food, then maneuvered the allegedly more sophisticated city man into endorsing the choice.

That's funny -- and also good politics.
  7. Standard memberScriabin
    Done Asking
    Washington, D.C.
    Moves
    17 Apr '09 22:05
    Yet a rude posting. Are you always this rude to people?
    I do not suffer fools gladly

stop being foolish and I'll stop being sharp with you
  8. Joined
    11 Nov '05
    Moves
    17 Apr '09 22:08
    I do not suffer fools gladly

stop being foolish and I'll stop being sharp with you
    It's not smart to be rude. Never smart. Always foolish. You show your real face while you're rude. Sorry to have to say it, but you would be more pleasant if you were nice.
  9. Standard memberScriabin
    Done Asking
    Washington, D.C.
    Moves
    17 Apr '09 22:13
    It's not smart to be rude. Never smart. Always foolish. You show your real face while you're rude. Sorry to have to say it, but you would be more pleasant if you were nice.
    and the sky would be more blue if it were more blue.

are you trying particularly hard today to be dim?
  10. Joined
    11 Nov '05
    Moves
    17 Apr '09 22:15
    and the sky would be more blue if it were more blue.

are you trying particularly hard today to be dim?
    Oh, lord... Again more rudeness from you.

Do you really think that you are on-topic with your postings about me? You chosed the title "It's not whether you win or lose, it's how you place the blame". I think you lose...
  11. Standard memberScriabin
    Done Asking
    Washington, D.C.
    Moves
    17 Apr '09 22:19
    Oh, lord... Again more rudeness from you.

Do you really think that you are on-topic with your postings about me? You chosed the title "It's not whether you win or lose, it's how you place the blame". I think you lose...
    haven't I been clear enough? I don't particularly value what you think so long as it is such a low quality product.

Say something worthwhile and I'll be glad to be nice -- continue being a boring dimwit and pay the toll therefore.
  12. Joined
    11 Nov '05
    Moves
    17 Apr '09 22:23
    haven't I been clear enough? I don't particularly value what you think so long as it is such a low quality product.
    Why do you then persist to answer my postings? Just to dig further and further off-topic?

Whenever someone goes off-topic by being attacking, then he has already lost the debate. This was no debate from the beginning, just plain rudeness. It's not civilized.

You have lost the 'debate'. I don't have time for you anymore. Good bye.
  13. Standard memberScriabin
    Done Asking
    Washington, D.C.
    Moves
    18 Apr '09 01:511 edit
    Why do you then persist to answer my postings? Just to dig further and further off-topic?

Whenever someone goes off-topic by being attacking, then he has already lost the debate. This was no debate from the beginning, just plain rudeness. It's not civilized.

You have lost the 'debate'. I don't have time for you anymore. Good bye.
    what debate?

this wasn't a debate, idiot.

We were supposed to be talking about the meaning of the #@#%!$# Nasrudin story, not debating

he says: "Why do you then persist to answer my postings? Just to dig further and further off-topic?"

No, because it is FUN. what a twit.

this guy is so dim a half-wit gave him a piece of his mind and old Fabian held on to it.
  14. Standard memberBosse de Nage
    ZellulÀrer Automat
    Spiel des Lebens
    Moves
    19 Apr '09 06:22
    Your first response to this thread is an accusation of plagiarism. your next an outright dismissal of it, and you talk about being rude?

As a matter of fact, though, Scriabin is rude -- and you are a dolt: you're both right.
  15. Standard memberScriabin
    Done Asking
    Washington, D.C.
    Moves
    19 Apr '09 16:34
    Originally posted by Bosse de Nage
    Your first response to this thread is an accusation of plagiarism. your next an outright dismissal of it, and you talk about being rude?

As a matter of fact, though, Scriabin is rude -- and you are a dolt: you're both right.
    thank you.

now, why is Nazrudin in various guises known from Eastern Europe all the way to China?

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree