1. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    13 Oct '16 05:451 edit
    The post that was quoted here has been removed
    Actually I was more interested in how you misrepresented what Thatcher said about the hunger strikers. The one thing I like about your posting is how you will often blend your little political or religious hobbyhorses into a long post post about something else, or something sort of related enough that you can sort of get away with it. I mean, here in this thread you start a thread about religoius child sacrifice and within a couple of posts you are into Thatcher and the IRA. Obviously I accept your right to do this and I respect your right to do slag off Thatcher, I just notice how you like to do this and I find it more interesting that the headline with which you present your little web. Of course this has nothing to do with the thread, but then again nor does the way you misssrepresented what Thatcher said. 🙂
  2. Account suspended
    Moves
    13 Oct '16 07:35
    Originally posted by divegeester
    Actually I was more interested in how you misrepresented what Thatcher said about the hunger strikers. The one thing I like about your posting is how you will often blend your little political or religious hobbyhorses into a long post post about something else, or something sort of related enough that you can sort of get away with it. I mean, here in thi ...[text shortened]... do with the thread, but then again nor does the way you misssrepresented what Thatcher said. 🙂
    In what way has Duchess64 misrepresented what Mrs Thatcher has said?
  3. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    13 Oct '16 14:321 edit
    Originally posted by robbie carrobie
    In what way has Duchess64 misrepresented what Mrs Thatcher has said?
    UK Prime Minister Margaret Thatcher dismissed all the Irish hunger strikers as 'common criminals' who deserved to die if they chose.

Look at how the sentence is constructed. What exactly did Thatcher say?
  4. Account suspended
    Moves
    13 Oct '16 21:572 edits

This post is unavailable.

Please refer to our posting guidelines.

5. Account suspended
    Moves
    13 Oct '16 22:03

6. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    13 Oct '16 22:112 edits
    Wriggle much?
    You wrote what you wrote and I enjoyed noting it.
    Flapping, crying and pointing "rule britania" is shallow and off target Princess. X
  7. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    13 Oct '16 22:13
    Shall we get back to religious child sacrifice? 😉
  8. Account suspended
    Moves
    13 Oct '16 22:281 edit

9. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    14 Oct '16 02:53
    Provide a link please to where she is quoted as referring to "all the Irish hunger strikers" as "common criminals". It's well known that she called Bobby Sands a "common criminal". But do you have a quote from Thatcher where she referred to Joe Mcdonnell, Francis Hughes. Raymond Mccreesh, Patsy O'hara, Kevin Lynch, Martin Hurson and Kieran Doherty as "common criminals". I'd like a link please.
  10. Account suspended
    Moves
    14 Oct '16 04:372 edits
    Originally posted by FMF
    Provide a link please to where she is quoted as referring to "all the Irish hunger strikers" as "common criminals". It's well known that she called Bobby Sands a "common criminal". But do you have a quote from Thatcher where she referred to Joe Mcdonnell, Francis Hughes. Raymond Mccreesh, Patsy O'hara, Kevin Lynch, Martin Hurson and Kieran Doherty as "common criminals". I'd like a link please.
    The Thatcher Revolution: Margaret Thatcher, John Major, Tony Blair. . . page 112.

ISBN : 0742522032

'Thatcher firmly refused political status for men whom she regarded as common criminals'.

http://www.bookfinder.com/search/?isbn=0742522032&mode=isbn&st=sr&ac=q
  11. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    14 Oct '16 04:44
    The Thatcher Revolution: Margaret Thatcher, John Major, Tony Blair. . . page 112.

ISBN : 0742522032

'Thatcher firmly refused political status for men whom she regarded as common criminals'.

http://www.bookfinder.com/search/?isbn=0742522032&mode=isbn&st=sr&ac=q
    I'm not looking for quote by Earl Reitan, I'm looking for a quote from Margaret Thatcher.
  12. Account suspended
    Moves
    14 Oct '16 05:032 edits
    Originally posted by FMF
    I'm not looking for quote by Earl Reitan, I'm looking for a quote from Margaret Thatcher.
    Actually i think you are betraying your ignorance, the mere fact that they were refused the status of political prisoners is itself a clear indication that they were regarded by the British government as common criminals.

In fact the Northern Ireland office is on record as stating 'These criminals are totally responsible for the situation in which they find themselves. It is they who have been smearing excreta on the walls and pouring urine through the cell doors. It is they who by their actions are denying themselves the excellent modern facilities of the prison.'

https://www.theguardian.com/film/2008/oct/19/northernireland

As Duchess64 has pointed out your dreary and predictable nitpicking notwithstanding, it was not a direct quotation from Mrs Thatcher anyway and your insistence that it was or need be is simply a reflection of someone that has failed to assimilate the intent of the reader and instead you seem intent on insisting on values that have not been explicitly expressed I suspect because you are devoid of both substance and reason.
  13. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    14 Oct '16 05:08
    Actualy i think yo rae betraying your ignorance, the mere fcat that they were refised the status of political prisoners is itself a clear indication that they were regarded by the British government as common criminals. Infact the Northern Ireland office states, 'Northern Ireland Office, which began: 'These criminals are totally responsible for the s ...[text shortened]... hey who by their actions are denying themselves the excellent modern facilities of the prison.'
    I don't think anyone is displaying any ignorance here, robbie. I just think there is a difference in perspective.

Thatcher was a savvy politician who knew full well that the hunger strikers were very much opponents in the political domain whose political acts of self-sacrifice [in a centuries old intensely political and military dispute] gave direct rise to a concrete political outcome: a surge in IRA recruitment.

She was fully aware of all this, before, during, and after what was clearly a political crisis ~ her calculated trash talk in front of the cameras [an unambiguous political response in and of itself] - where she condemned Bobby Sands as a "common criminal" - notwithstanding.
  14. Account suspended
    Moves
    14 Oct '16 05:132 edits
    Originally posted by FMF
    I don't think anyone is displaying any ignorance here, robbie. I just think there is a difference in perspective.

Thatcher was a savvy politician who knew full well that the hunger strikers were very much opponents in the political domain whose political acts of self-sacrifice [in a centuries old intensely political and military dispute] gave direct rise to ...[text shortened]... se in and of itself] - where she condemned Bobby Sands as a "common criminal" - notwithstanding.
    On the contrary all you could find to say about the text was an insistence on a direct quotation where anyone who knows anything about the subject knows that one of the grievances of the hunger strikers was that they were not given political status and considered as common criminals. How you could fail to know or acknowledge this I have really no idea.
  15. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    14 Oct '16 05:18
    On the contrary all you could find to say about the text was an insistence on a direct quotation where anyone who knows anything about the subject knows that one of the grievances of the hunger strikers was that they were not given political status and considered as common criminals. How you could fail to know or acknowledge this I have really no idea.
    Not giving them political status was a dyed-in-the-wool political response to the fact that they were the most toxic and overtly political prisoners in the UK at the time ~ everyone knew it, the general public knew it, the IRA knew it, and Thatcher and the Tories knew it.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree