1. Account suspended
    Moves
    26 Mar '06 13:00
    'I am the bread of life, ' Jesus told them. 'He who comes to me will never be hungry; he who believes in me will never be thirsty ...

'I will never turn away anyone who comes to me. '
  2. Donationrwingett
    Ming the Merciless
    Royal Oak, MI
    Moves
    26 Mar '06 13:49
    Originally posted by Kaboooomba
    'I am the bread of life, ' Jesus told them. 'He who comes to me will never be hungry; he who believes in me will never be thirsty ...

'I will never turn away anyone who comes to me. '
    Those words my have been attributed to Jesus, but how do you know he actually said them? How do you know it isn't the invention of some later biblical writer?
  3. Standard memberknightmeister
    knightmeister
    Uk
    Moves
    26 Mar '06 20:10
    Originally posted by rwingett
    Those words my have been attributed to Jesus, but how do you know he actually said them? How do you know it isn't the invention of some later biblical writer?
    The way you might know would be to give it a try. If it turns out to be bunkum then you will know that he maybe never said it or he wasn't who he said he was. Then you could go on this forum and say "I've had a go and it's all a load of XXXX". Do you want to 'know' before you even give it a try? Does it have to be so difficult?
  4. Standard memberscottishinnz
    Kichigai!
    Osaka
    Moves
    26 Mar '06 20:58
    Originally posted by knightmeister
    The way you might know would be to give it a try. If it turns out to be bunkum then you will know that he maybe never said it or he wasn't who he said he was. Then you could go on this forum and say "I've had a go and it's all a load of XXXX". Do you want to 'know' before you even give it a try? Does it have to be so difficult?
    How do you know you'll die if you jump off a big cliff until you try?
  5. Donationrwingett
    Ming the Merciless
    Royal Oak, MI
    Moves
    26 Mar '06 21:28
    "Just drink the Kool-Aid and everything will be fine."

-The Reverend Jim Jones (attributed)
  6. Standard memberRBHILL
    Acts 13:48
    California
    Moves
    26 Mar '06 22:35
    It is called God given faith that has you believe.
  7. Standard memberNemesio
    Ursulakantor
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Moves
    26 Mar '06 23:15
    Originally posted by RBHILL
    It is called God given faith that has you believe.
    So, I guess it's God's fault that Rwingett didn't believe, since obviously he lacks
    the 'God-given faith' to which you just referred.

Nemesio
  8. The sky
    Moves
    26 Mar '06 23:45
    Originally posted by Nemesio
    So, I guess it's God's fault that Rwingett didn't believe, since obviously he lacks
    the 'God-given faith' to which you just referred.

Nemesio
    If I understand it (or knightmeister) correctly, God can't give rwingett faith, because then he would understand how great it is to be a Christian and how bad it is to be an atheist, so of course he would choose to be a Christian, but because this choice would be a matter of course it wouldn't be a real choice, so he wouldn't have free will, and God wants us to have free will. I don't know why he has taken it away from people like RBHILL, though.
  9. Joined
    24 Apr '05
    Moves
    27 Mar '06 00:38
    'I am the bread of life, ' Jesus told them.
    I'm trying to go low-carb.

If you try feeding the ducks at the local lake, you'll see that bread floats on the water (at least at first). That would explain at least one 'miracle'.
  10. Account suspended
    Moves
    27 Mar '06 00:45
    'Come to me', Jesus said, 'all of you who are tired from carrying heavy loads, and i will give you rest. Take my yoke and put it on you, and learn from me, because I am gentle and humble in spirit; and you will find rest. For the yoke I will give you is easy, and the load I will put on you is light.
  11. Joined
    24 Apr '05
    Moves
    27 Mar '06 00:57
    'Come to me', Jesus said, 'all of you who are tired from carrying heavy loads, and i will give you rest. Take my yoke and put it on you, and learn from me, because I am gentle and humble in spirit; and you will find rest. For the yoke I will give you is easy, and the load I will put on you is light.
    Well that right there is a nice summary of many religious schemes -- a bit o' shade in a hot clime. But it may be that there exist burdens we must (in good 'faith'😉 carry alone. The writings of Camus speak eloquently on such matters.
  12. Donationrwingett
    Ming the Merciless
    Royal Oak, MI
    Moves
    27 Mar '06 01:04
  13. Account suspended
    Moves
    27 Mar '06 01:331 edit
    Originally posted by LemonJello
    Well that right there is a nice summary of many religious schemes -- a bit o' shade in a hot clime. But it may be that there exist burdens we must (in good 'faith'😉 carry alone. The writings of Camus speak eloquently on such matters.
    i agree, your life is also proportional to influences other than Jesus. in heaven these burdens will be gone, as it is our own sins and others that are the heavy loads.
  14. Account suspended
    Moves
    27 Mar '06 01:46
    i agree, i also have struggles here. even honest mistakes could happen in translations.
  15. Cape Town
    Moves
    27 Mar '06 07:29
    How does one 'give it a try?' I have tried asking God for things in the past with no real response. Can I now say "it's all a load of XXXX"?
    Have you given Islaam or Bhudism a try? If not then why do you think that they are not correct?

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree