1. Joined
    24 Apr '05
    Moves
    26 Jun '08 04:421 edit
    I saw a bumper sticker today that said "Jesus is the answer".

But what is the question? Here are some possibilities I have come up with so far:

Which character in The Big Lebowski is an alleged pederast?
    What do you get when you replace the b in besus with a J?
  2. Cape Town
    Moves
    26 Jun '08 06:35
    Originally posted by LemonJello

But what is the question? Here are some possibilities I have come up with so far:

Though I am sure you realize it, it is nothing more than a marketing campaign, little different from many other adverts that rely on weaknesses in human psychology. Essentially they are capitalizing on the fact that many people have problems or questions that they do not have solutions/answers too, and the advert is vague enough about what question it is answering to tempt people to try to find out more 'just in case'. It also capitalises on what I call the lottery effect. Humans have a weakness for situations where the perceived effort is small and the possible payout is large, and we tend to go for it even when the probability of a payout is ridiculously minute.

The combination of these two factors has allowed myth and mysticism and religions to deceive people in large numbers throughout the ages. (if you are religious, and reading this, don't take this as an insult, just assume I am talking about all the 'other' religions / beliefs).
    How many people follow astrology but don't really believe it? or do really believe it?
  3. England
    Moves
    26 Jun '08 09:38
    [b]I saw a bumper sticker today that said "Jesus is the answer".

But what is the question?
    [a] who gave his life for the souls of earth
    [b] who will save you from the torment of hell
    [c] who do christians belive in
    [d] who is the son of god
    [e] or maybe why did you read this bumper sticker.
  4. Cape Town
    Moves
    26 Jun '08 09:43
    Of course the interesting thing is that if you can figure out the question from the answer then it is almost certain that you knew the answer already. So why would someone need to tell you the answer?
  5. Joined
    29 Jan '07
    Moves
    26 Jun '08 18:03
    Originally posted by twhitehead
    Of course the interesting thing is that if you can figure out the question from the answer then it is almost certain that you knew the answer already. So why would someone need to tell you the answer?
    🙄
  6. Joined
    04 Feb '05
    Moves
    30 Jun '08 11:21

7. Joined
    24 Apr '05
    Moves
    01 Jul '08 11:32
    Originally posted by twhitehead
    Though I am sure you realize it, it is nothing more than a marketing campaign, little different from many other adverts that rely on weaknesses in human psychology. Essentially they are capitalizing on the fact that many people have problems or questions that they do not have solutions/answers too, and the advert is vague enough about what question it is ...[text shortened]... ).
    How many people follow astrology but don't really believe it? or do really believe it?
    You raise good points that are concerned primarily with 1) ignorance and the associated desire for answers, however vague and ersatz the so-called answers may actually be and 2) the Pascal Wagering mindset.

There's another aspect of witnessing that I find particularly ugly (not all witnessing: I'll restrict attention to certain strands of evangelicalism and similar scourges upon the earth). It's the way some evangelicals use fear and guilt as motivators, coupled with the debasement of human nature. Here's a good example from Ray Comfort:

http://www.wayofthemaster.com/watch/witness_sealbeachkid_high.html

Basically:

First off, you're inherently evil and petty by your very nature. For two, there exists some all-knowing invisible being who aims to toss you in a lake of fire for your deficient nature (oh, but he's all-loving, compassionate, and perfectly just at the same time). For three, Jesus is just somehow the answer because blah blah blah.

We all know the general story, and it doesn't make a lick of sense. So one thing I am interested in is how this sort of witnessing could ever be effective (under what conditions). I'm still trying to piece together my thoughts on that, along with what it really means for the witnessing to be effective.
  8. Joined
    24 Apr '05
    Moves
    01 Jul '08 11:341 edit
    Originally posted by stoker
    [a] who gave his life for the souls of earth
    who will save you from the torment of hell
    [c] who do christians belive in
    [d] who is the son of god
    [e] or maybe why did you read this bumper sticker.
    Your [e]:

Q: Why did you read this bumper sticker?
    A: Jesus.

That one doesn't quite seem to work. Good work on the others though -- you've read your bible.
  9. PenTesting
    Moves
    01 Jul '08 12:57
    You raise good points that are concerned primarily with 1) ignorance and the associated desire for answers, however vague and ersatz the so-called answers may actually be and 2) the Pascal Wagering mindset.

There's another aspect of witnessing that I find particularly ugly (not all witnessing: I'll restrict attention to certain strands of evangelical ...[text shortened]... my thoughts on that, along with what it really means for the witnessing to be effective.
    Would the same analysis apply to the bumper sticker:

"RUM IS THE ANSWER" ? ...😀
  10. PenTesting
    Moves
    01 Jul '08 13:00
    ...I am interested in is how this sort of witnessing could ever be effective (under what conditions). ....
    I take it you have not come across testimonials about miracles that included the statement :

" .... and I was about to kill myself and run my car off the cliff and at the last second I saw it .... right in front of me ... it was a miracle I tell you ... right there it said on the bumper sticker ...... JESUS IS THE ANSWER ...... Praise the Lord ... I am saved ! .. "
  11. Standard memberduecer
    anybody seen my
    underpants??
    Moves
    01 Jul '08 13:12

As a Christian, I too have a problem with trite sayings like that. I like to think my faith is a little better thought out than that.
  12. Joined
    24 Apr '05
    Moves
    01 Jul '08 22:16
    Originally posted by Rajk999
    Would the same analysis apply to the bumper sticker:

"RUM IS THE ANSWER" ? ...😀
    What analysis? That Ray Comfort and his ilk are a scourge?

Rum often is the answer, though. I've never met a mojito that I didn't enjoy.
  13. Joined
    24 Apr '05
    Moves
    01 Jul '08 22:253 edits
    Originally posted by Rajk999
    I take it you have not come across testimonials about miracles that included the statement :

" .... and I was about to kill myself and run my car off the cliff and at the last second I saw it .... right in front of me ... it was a miracle I tell you ... right there it said on the bumper sticker ...... JESUS IS THE ANSWER ...... Praise the Lord ... I am saved ! .. "
    I don't consider that to be an instance of effective witnessing. Nor do I place much reliability in testimonials about putative miracles. Besides, I meant that my interest was in considerations of when an approach like Ray Comfort's (in the video) could be effective -- not in considerations of when the "jesus is the answer" sign could "miraculously" influence the life of some sad sap in mysterious ways.
  14. PenTesting
    Moves
    01 Jul '08 22:43
    I don't consider that to be an instance of effective witnessing. Nor do I place much reliability in testimonials about putative miracles. Besides, I meant that my interest was in considerations of when an approach like Ray Comfort's (in the video) could be effective -- not in considerations of when the "jesus is the answer" sign could "miraculously" influence the life of some sad sap in mysterious ways.
    I agree.... I was being sarcistic.
  15. PenTesting
    Moves
    01 Jul '08 22:44
    What analysis? That Ray Comfort and his ilk are a scourge?

Rum often is the answer, though. I've never met a mojito that I didn't enjoy.
    If you run out of rum ..vodka makes a great mojito as well.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree