1. Standard memberDavid C
    Flamenco Sketches
    Spain, in spirit
    Moves
    31 May '06 10:03
    Originally posted by whodey
    Can you be a hippy and not do drugs?
    As Wooly Bugger said: no.

http://education.guardian.co.uk/higher/sciences/story/0,12243,869489,00.html
  2. Cape Town
    Moves
    31 May '06 10:28
    Just as a side note, drug use might even help explain atheism.
    By that logic all origional drug users were religious!
  3. Joined
    28 Aug '05
    Moves
    31 May '06 11:37
    Originally posted by twhitehead
    By that logic all origional drug users were religious!
    Well if you look at religion's origins shamanism and paganism, then yes they were....
  4. Cape Town
    Moves
    31 May '06 12:541 edit
    Originally posted by Vladamir no1
    Well if you look at religion's origins shamanism and paganism, then yes they were....
    Are you saying that there have been times when there were no athiests? Or that drug use only started when religions did?
  5. Standard memberWulebgr
    Angler
    River City
    Moves
    31 May '06 13:36
    Originally posted by twhitehead
    Are you saying that there have been times when there were no athiests? Or that drug use only started when religions did?
    I believe the sequence was first drugs, then religion, and only after certain religions (Judaism, Christianity, Islam) developed monotheism (the seeds of all human alienation--see Peter L. Burger, The Sacred Canopy--did atheism develop. Indeed, one reason for refusing the self-label of atheist stems from recognition that its origins are mired in opposition to, and therefore logical dependance upon monotheistic religion.
  6. Standard memberChurlant
    Ego-Trip in Progress
    Phoenix, AZ
    Moves
    31 May '06 17:04
    This look like a hippy to anyone?

http://i.cnn.net/cnn/2002/TECH/science/12/25/face.jesus/story.jesushead.cnn.jpg

-JC
  7. Standard memberWulebgr
    Angler
    River City
    Moves
    31 May '06 17:371 edit
    Originally posted by Churlant
    This look like a hippy to anyone?
    The essence of hippie is a matter of behavior and values, not appearance.

See Thread 44385
  8. Standard memberHalitose
    I stink, ergo I am
    On the rebound
    Moves
    01 Jun '06 11:29
    No. Just kidding around. What media interests do you have?
    Suffice to say that I've done an anti substance-abuse ad for TV, although nothing as romantic as having Ozzy grunting on screen about the perils of too much goodness.
  9. Cape Town
    Moves
    01 Jun '06 12:15
    Originally posted by Wulebgr
    I believe the sequence was first drugs, then religion, and only after certain religions (Judaism, Christianity, Islam) developed monotheism (the seeds of all human alienation--see Peter L. Burger, The Sacred Canopy--did atheism develop. Indeed, one reason for refusing the self-label of atheist stems from recognition that its origins are mired in opposition to, and therefore logical dependance upon monotheistic religion.
    Actually atheism is not a religion but rather the abscence of religion and cannot 'develop'. Atheism is more a case of not believing in a God than specifically rejecting the belief. Before religion therefore everyone was athiest.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree