1. Joined
    29 Dec '08
    Moves
    06 Dec '12 19:54
    Hi, I don't plan to see the photo of the victim of the subway attack, but the subject has been discussed as to the morality of its publication. I wonder if any of the people here who have authoritative moral guidance available to them (such as Bible believers) have a view on this. Should the photo have been published? Why or why not? Scriptural references will be welcome. Comments from others are welcome too.

This is generally speaking a question about the degree to which moral guides like the Bible, Quran, Buddhist and Hindu writings and traditions, can help us deal with the issues of our day.

Here is a relevant link. This site does not seem to include a photo.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation/2012/12/06/new-york-post-subway-photo-ethics/1749681/
  2. Cape Town
    Moves
    06 Dec '12 20:09
    Originally posted by JS357
    Here is a relevant link.
    Funny how that site questions the morality of those at the scene but asks nothing of the morality of the newspapers etc that published the photos.
    I personally think we should be more sensitive about publishing photos of others who have been injured or killed. For a start, we can't reasonably claim to have the permission of the person who was killed.
  3. Joined
    29 Dec '08
    Moves
    06 Dec '12 20:20
    Originally posted by twhitehead
    Funny how that site questions the morality of those at the scene but asks nothing of the morality of the newspapers etc that published the photos.
    I personally think we should be more sensitive about publishing photos of others who have been injured or killed. For a start, we can't reasonably claim to have the permission of the person who was killed.
    Frankly I was hesitant about opening site links. The issue was covered in depth on today's NPR Talk of the Nation.

The audio at this site is still pending as of the moment I am posting this, but should be available soon.

http://www.npr.org/programs/talk-of-the-nation/

The general morality of publication of photos of people in public places may be of interest here.

Still awaiting moral guidance...
  4. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    08 Dec '12 01:14
    Originally posted by JS357
    Frankly I was hesitant about opening site links. The issue was covered in depth on today's NPR Talk of the Nation.

The audio at this site is still pending as of the moment I am posting this, but should be available soon.

http://www.npr.org/programs/talk-of-the-nation/

The general morality of publication of photos of people in public places may be of interest here.

Still awaiting moral guidance...
    Snapping pics should be limited to what you do on holiday.

When someone is trying to claw their way back onto the platform in the face of an oncoming train, you put your damn camera down and try to get people to help you pull that man to safety.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree