1. Standard memberRBHILL
    Acts 13:48
    California
    Moves
    02 Mar '05 22:45
    FOUR WAYS

CHRISTIANS ARE BEING DECEIVED
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Revelation 12:9 speaks of,

"... that old serpent, called the Devil, and Satan, which deceiveth the whole world."

The Lord put that and similar verses in his Word to warn us of a reality of world history: Global deception. And even those who profess to be Evangelical Christians are susceptible to the Serpent's lie.

"In the latter times some shall depart from the faith, giving heed to seducing spirits, and doctrines of devils."

1 Timothy 4:1.

Four ways that Christians are being deceived in our day are:

The Repackaged Lie
    Blurred Distinctions
    Unequal Yoking
    Following Gurus
    =====
    The Repackaged Lie

Satan is brilliantly clever at taking age-old lies, disguising them in subtlety, and gradually introducing them to even those who insist that they believe in the infallible authority of the Bible. Examples of lies the Enemy has deceived us with are all the various ways we are obsessed with "Self"; the numerous techniques of "Christianized" sorcery and divination within the Church; and the many issues and fads designed to give us a "Tower of Babel" vision for global unity.
    ======
    Blurred Distinctions

Not only is Satan the "Father of lies", but he is also the "Author of confusion". It is getting harder and harder to tell the difference between neo-paganism and the liberal church; or between the liberal church and Evangelical Christianity. The message and the priorities of the Church are becoming indistinguishable from the World. Books by M. Scott Peck, for example, are found in both Christian bookstores and New Age/Occult bookstores. These books teach that humans are evolving to godhood; that we must become "mystics" and use Eastern meditation; and they advocate a one-world government.
    =======
    Unequal Yoking

Christian leaders and Christian organizations are more and more yoking themselves with unbiblical, pagan groups and movements which set the followers up for synthesis, syncretism and compromise of doctrine and priorities. What fellowship does light have with darkness? These unholy alliances are often taking place in the name of "traditional family values" and involve relationships between Evangelicals, Roman Catholicism, Mormons, and Moonies; or, the alliances involve solving the problems of "Mother Earth" in association with various utopian movements.
    ==========
    Following Gurus

The final way in which Christians are being deceived is very much related to the first three. We are much more likely, these days, to not refer to our Bible for our convictions and world- view, but instead to follow the opinions of leaders we look up to. In these days of "Christian Mass Media", Celebrity Ministers are likely to draw our attention and our allegiance. It is a dangerous thing to set up Gurus within the Body of Christ who are beyond criticism. "Touch not the Lord's anointed!" we are told when the Guru's doctrine or behavior is questioned, which is a reference to 1 Samuel 24 and 26. In those references, David was referring to not KILLING Saul. He was not forbidding CRITICISM of Saul. In fact, David himself rebukes Saul publicly. In these last days we cannot afford to follow human leaders as if they were Gurus; whether they be Dr. Dobson, Bill Gothard, Pat Robertson, or Billy Graham, or . We are to be disciples of Jesus, and him alone.

Our only hope to not be deceived in these last days is to "abide in the vine"; to surrender our hearts moment by moment to the Holy Spirit; to be Acts 17 "Bereans" and filter everything through the written Word of God; and to be lovers of the Truth.
    ====
    "Even him, whose coming is after the working of Satan with all power and signs and lying wonders, And with all deceivableness of unrighteousness in them that perish; because they received not the love of the truth, that they might be saved. And for this cause God shall send them strong delusion, that they should believe a lie: That they all might be damned who believed not the truth, but had pleasure in unrighteousness." 2 Thessalonians 2:9-12
  2. Donationkirksey957
    Outkast
    With White Women
    Moves
    04 Mar '05 01:33
    Originally posted by RBHILL
    FOUR WAYS

"... that old serpent, called the Devil, and Satan, which deceiveth the whole world."

The Lord put that and similar verses in his Word to warn us of a reality of world history: Global deception. ...[text shortened]... amned who believed not the truth, but had pleasure in unrighteousness." 2 Thessalonians 2:9-12
    RB, are you suggesting that I'm deceiving people or did you want me to know more about this. Could you make it a little more personal for me as it was addressed to me. Thank you.
  3. Account suspended
    Moves
    04 Mar '05 01:42
    FOUR WAYS

The Lord put that and similar verses in his Word to warn us of a reality of world history: Global deception. ...[text shortened]... amned who believed not the truth, but had pleasure in unrighteousness." 2 Thessalonians 2:9-12
    Cool kirksey likes fourways??? I'm down for that, can I join you for one kirksey?
  4. Standard memberRBHILL
    California
    Moves
    04 Mar '05 01:44
    Originally posted by belgianfreakmyself2
    Cool kirksey likes fourways??? I'm down for that, can I join you for one kirksey?
    Are you gay?
  5. Donationkirksey957
    Outkast
    With White Women
    Moves
    04 Mar '05 01:44
    Originally posted by belgianfreakmyself2
    Uh....no. but I'm flattered that you would ask.
  6. Canberra, Australia
    Moves
    04 Mar '05 11:291 edit
    Originally posted by kirksey957
    Uh....no. but I'm flattered that you would ask.
    And all this time I thought you were open-minded, Kirk.
  7. Joined
    09 Jun '04
    Moves
    04 Mar '05 12:14
    Are you gay?
    Isn't everybody?
  8. Felicific Forest
    Moves
    04 Mar '05 12:201 edit
    RB, are you suggesting that I'm deceiving people or did you want me to know more about this. Could you make it a little more personal for me as it was addressed to me. Thank you.
    I'll start with making it a little more personal for you, Kirk ....

Do you believe in the devil ? .... in satan as he is introduced and described in the Scriptures ?

Who or what (unavoidable in your case) is "satan" ?
  9. Standard memberCalJust
    It is what it is
    Pretoria
    Moves
    04 Mar '05 12:34
    Books by M. Scott Peck, for example, are found in both Christian bookstores and New Age/Occult bookstores. These books teach that humans are evolving to godhood; that we must become "mystics" and use Eastern meditation; and they advocate a one-world government.
    Let's just take one little thing at a time in this very long post.

Much of it is based on fact and I agree with it. However, excessive hyperbole and exaggeration does no good to the cause the writer wishes to promote.

For example, this statement is just simply plain wrong. Whoever wrote this, has not read Scott-Peck, and is talking of conjecture.

SP's first (and arguably most famous) book is The road less travelled. When he wrote this book he was not yet a Christian!! He then became converted and wrote several more books, some deeply moving. However, his first book is used a a (I think very good) psychology handbook, which can help Christians and non-Christians (New Agers, if you will) alike.

To dismiss SC out of hand, in a sweeping (nonsensical) statement ( for example) is doing him a grave injustice and is depriving many Christians of a real blessing.

Sweeping statements not grounded on fact are extremely dangerous!!

😠😠
  10. Donationkirksey957
    Outkast
    With White Women
    Moves
    04 Mar '05 15:09
    Originally posted by ivanhoe
    I'll start with making it a little more personal for you, Kirk ....

Do you believe in the devil ? .... in satan as he is introduced and described in the Scriptures ?

Who or what (unavoidable in your case) is "satan" ?
    I hate to start this with a question, but there are many different understandings of Satan in scripture. I do not believe in a personal "devil." I tend to believe more in evil being a human characteristic that is best dealt in personal responsibility and repentence.
  11. Donationkirksey957
    Outkast
    With White Women
    Moves
    04 Mar '05 15:15
    Originally posted by CalJust
    Let's just take one little thing at a time in this very long post.

Much of it is based on fact and I agree with it. However, excessive hyperbole and exaggeration does no good to the cause the writer wishes to promote.

For example, this statement is just simply plain wrong. Whoever wrote this, has not read Scott-Peck, and is talking of conjecture.

...[text shortened]... f a real blessing.

Sweeping statements not grounded on fact are extremely dangerous!!

😠😠
    RB, I would encourage you to read The Road Less Travelled by Scott Peck. I'm going to have to agree with Caljust on this one as this book is one that you should be rejoicing that it is out there. I believe he has other books out there, but one of his that I would particularly invite you to read is People of the Lie.

When you say that his books are in new age bookstores that is somehow a bad thing for you. That is as crazy as if I said they arrested a murderer and found a Bible in his home.
  12. Standard memberRBHILL
    California
    Moves
    04 Mar '05 17:441 edit
    RB, I would encourage you to read The Road Less Travelled by Scott Peck. I'm going to have to agree with Caljust on this one as this book is one that you should be rejoicing that it is out there. I believe he has other books out there ...[text shortened]... f I said they arrested a murderer and found a Bible in his home.
    I believe that I did read it in School already. No nevermind I didn't 🙂
  13. Donationkirksey957
    Outkast
    With White Women
    Moves
    04 Mar '05 17:56
    I believe that I did read it in School already. No nevermind I didn't 🙂
    When you finish reading it, you won't have to do all that copy and paste stuff. You can offer your own opinion about it and leave with your dignity.
  14. Felicific Forest
    Moves
    04 Mar '05 19:551 edit
    RB, I would encourage you to read The Road Less Travelled by Scott Peck. I'm going to have to agree with Caljust on this one as this book is one that you should be rejoicing that it is out there. I believe he has other books out there ...[text shortened]... f I said they arrested a murderer and found a Bible in his home.
    Kirk: "When you say that his books are in new age bookstores that is somehow a bad thing for you. That is as crazy as if I said they arrested a murderer and found a Bible in his home."

The latter happens all the time, Kirk.

By the way, the new age people will be thrilled to read your analogy.
  15. Donationkirksey957
    Outkast
    With White Women
    Moves
    04 Mar '05 21:24
    Originally posted by ivanhoe
    Kirk: "When you say that his books are in new age bookstores that is somehow a bad thing for you. That is as crazy as if I said they arrested a murderer and found a Bible in his home."

The latter happens all the time, Kirk.

By the way, the new age people will be thrilled to read your analogy.
    I am happy when anyone is thrilled with anything I have said or done.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree