1. Standard membervivify
    rain
    Joined
    08 Mar '11
    Moves
    9780
    31 Aug '15 11:50
    Was August a total failure? Was it a waste of time? Did anyone go the entire month without deliberately insulting or disrespecting another poster? Is it even worth having next year?
  2. Standard memberAgerg
    The 'edit'or
    converging to it
    Joined
    21 Aug '06
    Moves
    11458
    31 Aug '15 13:432 edits
    Originally posted by vivify
    Was August a total failure? Was it a waste of time? Did anyone go the entire month without deliberately insulting or disrespecting another poster? Is it even worth having next year?
    I have found the whole thing to be a charade that doesn't even vaguely mirror the reality certain people intended ... I would argue that regardless of our anonymity on these boards, in general we are no more hostile online than we are in "real life". The reason for this being that we are not so exposed to the diversity of views one finds on the interwebs in the offline world, and don't admit into our discussions those whom we would be hostile towards on here.
    Indeed if the likes of RJHinds, checkbaiter, or RBHill were to barge un-invited into a conversation I was having even with strangers it wouldn't take long for me to start insulting them and requesting they, not-so-politely, ***k off elsewhere.

    If there is another such August next year my stance and level of participation will not change..
  3. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    86395
    31 Aug '15 13:51
    Originally posted by vivify
    Was August a total failure? Was it a waste of time? Did anyone go the entire month without deliberately insulting or disrespecting another poster? Is it even worth having next year?
    The whole idea was misconceived; a fuzzy idea pitched with fuzzy parameters and zero accountability. The cliquey Christians still remain a clique with some still ignoring other posters for no apparent reason other than they don't like being disagreed with and other people attacking the dissenters for no other reason than the dissenters not toeing the party line or being part of the in-group. A shabby representation of the Christian faith by most standards.
  4. Joined
    29 Dec '08
    Moves
    6788
    31 Aug '15 15:141 edit
    Originally posted by divegeester
    The whole idea was misconceived; a fuzzy idea pitched with fuzzy parameters and zero accountability. The cliquey Christians still remain a clique with some still ignoring other posters for no apparent reason other than they don't like being disagreed with and other people attacking the dissenters for no other reason than the dissenters not toeing the par ...[text shortened]... or being part of the in-group. A shabby representation of the Christian faith by most standards.
    It is fuzzy until analyzed. A more rigorous approach to post-August analysis of how things went might start with a sociogram.

    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sociogram

    That link mentions cliques and misbehavior, which seem relevant.

    All the information needed to do further analysis of August, even to compare it to other months, is present in the spirituality forum history.
  5. SubscriberFMF
    Main Poster
    This Thread
    Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    29835
    31 Aug '15 15:29
    Who enlisted for it? You can't really analyze something that perhaps almost nobody was partaking in.
  6. Standard memberRemoved
    Joined
    08 Dec '04
    Moves
    100919
    31 Aug '15 15:50
    Originally posted by Agerg
    I have found the whole thing to be a charade that doesn't even vaguely mirror the reality certain people intended ... I would argue that regardless of our anonymity on these boards, in general we are no more hostile online than we are in "real life". The reason for this being that we are not so exposed to the diversity of views one finds on the interwebs in th ...[text shortened]... If there is another such August next year my stance and level of participation will not change..
    So, why don't you tell us how you really feel? 😉
Back to Top