1. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    22 Jan '23 09:52
    One of the reasons atheism is on the rise and more and more people are turning away from theism is "we have the Library of Alexandria in our pockets". [Something I heard on a podcast].

Thoughts?
  2. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    22 Jan '23 13:25
    @fmf said
    One of the reasons atheism is on the rise and more and more people are turning away from theism is "we have the Library of Alexandria in our pockets". [Something I heard on a podcast].

Thoughts?
    These last decades of freedom of information via the internet have empowered people to challenge their previously hard-held dogmas and attitudes. It is a good thing, but some here are determined to hand on to old paradigms of thought handed down from generation to generation.
  3. Subscriberjosephw
    Owner
    Scoffer Mocker
    Moves
    22 Jan '23 16:371 edit
    @divegeester said
    These last decades of freedom of information via the internet have empowered people to challenge their previously hard-held dogmas and attitudes. It is a good thing, but some here are determined to hand on to old paradigms of thought handed down from generation to generation.
    Can you provide an example of the difference between an "old paradigm" and a new one?

I'm assuming, because you say "it is a good thing", [that "the library of Alexandria"] has produced new paradigms, you can cite an example.
  4. Subscriberjosephw
    Owner
    Scoffer Mocker
    Moves
    22 Jan '23 16:42
    @fmf said

Thoughts?
    Obviously the knowledge contained in the "library of Alexandria" doesn't include the knowledge of God. Except, from what I've seen, a lot of misinformation.
  5. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    22 Jan '23 18:11
    @josephw said
    Can you provide an example of the difference between an "old paradigm" and a new one?
    Sure.

Old: The bible is the infallible, complete and exclusive word of god.

New: the bible is a collection of ancient texts some of which are inspired by god.
  6. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    22 Jan '23 18:11
    @josephw said

I'm assuming, because you say "it is a good thing", [that "the library of Alexandria"] has produced new paradigms, you can cite an example.
    See my post above.
  7. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    22 Jan '23 18:12
    @josephw said
    Obviously the knowledge contained in the "library of Alexandria" doesn't include the knowledge of God. Except, from what I've seen, a lot of misinformation.
    Why is your assertion “obvious”?
  8. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    22 Jan '23 18:44
    @josephw said
    Whoosh
  9. Standard membermchill
    Cryptic
    Behind the scenes
    Moves
    22 Jan '23 21:01
    @fmf said

Thoughts?
    I would suggest that has less to do with the Library of Alexandria in our pockets or the rise of atheism, and more to do with a decline in institutional attendance. Many theists simply don't like or trust the church, synagogue, or mosque they attend. Many of these have mixed their faith with politics, become embroiled in embezzlement scandals, or have simply strayed from their orthodox teachings they were founded on, all this, plus the time and cost of commuting to and from a place of worship has many faithful theists simply staying home or using skype, zoom, or other tech tool for their spiritual edification.
  10. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    22 Jan '23 21:55
    @mchill said
    Many theists simply don't like or trust the church, synagogue, or mosque they attend. Many of these have mixed their faith with politics, become embroiled in embezzlement scandals
    There has been scandal and politics and corruption interwoven with religion for thousands of years. Is it not "the Library of Alexandria in our pockets" that allows more people to know more about it?
  11. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    22 Jan '23 21:58
    @mchill said
    the time and cost of commuting to and from a place of worship has many faithful theists simply staying home or using skype, zoom, or other tech tool for their spiritual edification.
    Are you talking about theists who are STLL theists here?
  12. Subscribermoonbus
    Über-Nerd
    Moves
    23 Jan '23 13:281 edit
    @mchill said
    I would suggest that has less to do with the Library of Alexandria in our pockets or the rise of atheism, and more to do with a decline in institutional attendance. Many theists simply don't like or trust the church, synagogue, or mosque they attend. Many of these have mixed their faith with politics, become embroiled in embezzlement scandals, or have simply strayed from their ...[text shortened]... heists simply staying home or using skype, zoom, or other tech tool for their spiritual edification.
    Yup, all that and add to that the fact that people just don’t accept being told what to think or believe, as in the the Middle Ages; the authority model (or paradigm) of truth has been replaced by a post-modernist model or paradigm whereby truth is what you make it, not what you are told.
  13. Joined
    06 May '15
    Moves
    26 Jan '23 07:381 edit
    @fmf said

Thoughts?
    I think that would be the ashes of the unknown losses rather than some kind of literary lint.
  14. Joined
    06 May '15
    Moves
    26 Jan '23 08:28
    @divegeester said
    See my post above.
    Why? Who cares what you write?

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree