1. Joined
    06 Aug '05
    Moves
    20 Aug '05 20:32
    Anyone have any unexplained out of body experiences they want to share?
  2. Joined
    01 Dec '04
    Moves
    20 Aug '05 21:17
    Originally posted by steve645
    Anyone have any unexplained out of body experiences they want to share?
    I explored this realm very extensively about 25 years ago. It's not a current focus of mine but I can easily vouch for the power and legitimacy of the out-of-body (OOBE) experience, even though it seems to have evaded rigorous scientific testing, as far as I know.

And yes, having even one such experience can alter one's views on life after death. It certainly did for myself, long ago, in a way that was basically permanent.

Have you had an OOBE yourself?
  3. Joined
    06 Aug '05
    Moves
    20 Aug '05 21:38
    Yes I have. I have tried to think about scientific reasoning, but still can't explain what I felt.
  4. Standard memberDavid C
    Flamenco Sketches
    Spain, in spirit
    Moves
    20 Aug '05 21:52
    Originally posted by steve645
    Yes I have. I have tried to think about scientific reasoning, but still can't explain what I felt.
    Do you consider yourself a theist?
  5. Joined
    06 Aug '05
    Moves
    20 Aug '05 22:10
    No.
  6. On blue plannet.
    Moves
    20 Aug '05 22:11
    I have a document of a life story. This person literally did experience things unimaginable. It is worth reading it. I started to think twice about things in my own life. Due to the length of the document I cannot post it here. Send me an e-mail (odegos[at]gmail.com] with the subject "Testimony of Olga" and then I will send you the document.
  7. Standard memberDavid C
    Flamenco Sketches
    Spain, in spirit
    Moves
    20 Aug '05 22:12
    Originally posted by odegos
    I have a document of a life story. This person literally did experience things unimaginable. It is worth reading it. I started to think twice about things in my own life. Due to the length of the document I cannot post it here. Send me an e-mail (odegos[at]gmail.com] with the subject "Testimony of Olga" and then I will send you the document.
    d'you mean this:

http://www.repentnow.com/olga.htm

?
  8. On blue plannet.
    Moves
    20 Aug '05 22:16
    Hi, Yes! I got the document from a friend. Did not even know there is a website.
  9. Joined
    21 Oct '04
    Moves
    20 Aug '05 22:43
    Originally posted by David C
    d'you mean this:

http://www.repentnow.com/olga.htm

?
    Somehow I doubt that this happend, It couldve, but I doubt it, interesting though she said she went like through a tunnel of darkness, I read about a doctors study telling about ressicuted patents, and he talks about how most people after they are ressicuted tell of how they went into a tunnel of darkness
  10. Joined
    01 Dec '04
    Moves
    20 Aug '05 22:56
    I found the girl's description of Satan to be comical....

"I don't know who has seen Jesus Christ, but I want to describe how I saw Jesus and how I saw satan. Firstly I will describe satan: He was not tall, but very fat. His body was covered with short black hair. His fingers were very long. Every part was covered by hair. He was very scary. His face was evil looking. His face had the look of wanting evil. He had no teeth, only fangs. He had a very big mouth and very deep holes for eyes. You couldn't see them. When I did see his eyes, they looked like cat's eyes; full of evil. I didn't pay attention to his feet. I know he is very scary, and he noticed me. I wouldn't look at him because I was so scared."

Sounds like the Tibetan god Mahakala...or Dick Cheney turned into a werewolf, take your pick...

The thing about the OOBE state is that it is notoriously susceptible to hallucinations, projections from the unconscious. This girl was raised Christian, and so she faced the full force of her own conditioning while in the altered state.

Certain Tibetan mystics have studied the OOBE state probably as thoroughly as any, and will stress the point again and again that what you experience in the OOBE is essentially the sum contents of your mind, projected onto the "void" of consciousness. The idea is to recognize the projections as simply that, projections. Carl Jung also wrote about this extensively, especially in his terrific introduction to the Tibetan Book of the Dead.

The most sane Western explorer of the OOBE state I know of was Robert Monroe, and former businessman with some scientific training who used himself as a laboratory for 30 years while investigating the phenomenon of OOBE. He published several books on the matter, and founded an institute in Virginia. "Journeys Out Of The Body" is his best book, in my opinion.
  11. Joined
    16 Jul '05
    Moves
    20 Aug '05 23:29
    is this oobo like a dream? how does it happen? or does it happen like when you die and the doctors do that electric thingy and bring you back?
  12. Joined
    01 Dec '04
    Moves
    21 Aug '05 00:16
    Originally posted by FreaKinGenius
    is this oobo like a dream? how does it happen? or does it happen like when you die and the doctors do that electric thingy and bring you back?
    There are certain practices that you can undertake that will eventually trigger an OOBE (for most people). Monroe's techniques are probably the safest and simplest. For myself, it took three weeks of doing the practices to have the experience (several, actually). I had to stick with it, though. It does take determination and effort. Occasionally someone has one spontaneously, but most need to practice the methods in order for anything to happen.

As for the experience itself, it is dream-like in some respects, sort of like a super-lucid dream (a lucid dream being a dream where you know that you are dreaming), but more vivid and more conscious. However, it is not exactly equal to waking consciousness. There is a slight difference.

As for people nearly dying, these are called NDEs (near death experiences) and are a different category from OOBEs, though as I understand it similar in some respects. Never having nearly died, though, I can't comment from experience there. Main difference being that OOBE can be consciously induced without threat to one's existence. Not recommended to "consciously induce" an NDE, lol.
  13. Joined
    06 Aug '05
    Moves
    21 Aug '05 01:00
    Well this stemmed from drowning in freezing water (there was ice around the edges of the lake) when a sudden storm overturned our boat...I sank like a rock and the endorphins kicked in. What was strange was that I was looking down at the top of my head, watching the bubbles go up through my hair.. then my spirit was out of the water and I could clearly hear conversations by my crewmates. It was such a serene feeling....but then something told me...it's not your time yet, and I was back under the water, into my body, then there was intense pain, then I surfaced. My friends were stunned when I repeated their conversations and mind you the wind was howling. I'll never forget that feeling and I am not afraid to die now if I have to....

So a hallucination or chemical imbalance can not explain being able to hear and remember things not occuring in the immediate area of the body when you have an oobe in my humble opinion.
  14. Joined
    16 Jul '05
    Moves
    21 Aug '05 02:02
    i still dont think i get it. so if i had a dream with the devil in it, would that be an oobe?
  15. Joined
    01 Dec '04
    Moves
    21 Aug '05 05:36
    Originally posted by FreaKinGenius
    i still dont think i get it. so if i had a dream with the devil in it, would that be an oobe?
    No. That would just be a dream with the devil in it.

An OOBE is unmistakeable. When you have one, you know it without question. It is a very unique state of consciousness.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree