1. Standard memberwittywonka
    Chocolate Expert
    Cocoa Mountains
    Joined
    26 Nov '06
    Moves
    19249
    09 Apr '07 01:01
    "In the beginning Man created God."

    I have heard there is a good theological book that opens with this profound statement. Has anyone by chance read it? The author, interestingly enough, is Christian even though she opens with this somewhat athiest-sounding statement...
  2. Standard memberRBHILL
    Acts 13:48
    California
    Joined
    21 May '03
    Moves
    223256
    09 Apr '07 01:14
    Originally posted by wittywonka
    "In the beginning Man created God."

    I have heard there is a good theological book that opens with this profound statement. Has anyone by chance read it? The author, interestingly enough, is Christian even though she opens with this somewhat athiest-sounding statement...
    Did Darwin write it?
  3. Standard memberwittywonka
    Chocolate Expert
    Cocoa Mountains
    Joined
    26 Nov '06
    Moves
    19249
    09 Apr '07 01:18
    Originally posted by RBHILL
    Did Darwin write it?
    "...she..."

    😞
  4. Standard memberscottishinnz
    Kichigai!
    Osaka
    Joined
    27 Apr '05
    Moves
    8592
    09 Apr '07 01:26
    Originally posted by wittywonka
    "...she..."

    😞
    Mrs Darwin?
  5. Standard memberwittywonka
    Chocolate Expert
    Cocoa Mountains
    Joined
    26 Nov '06
    Moves
    19249
    09 Apr '07 01:28
    Originally posted by scottishinnz
    Mrs Darwin?
    Lol...not exactly.

    It really sucks how well phrased the line is because it made me forget the titlle/author. 😕
  6. Standard memberscottishinnz
    Kichigai!
    Osaka
    Joined
    27 Apr '05
    Moves
    8592
    09 Apr '07 01:30
    Originally posted by wittywonka
    Lol...not exactly.

    It really sucks how well phrased the line is because it made me forget the titlle/author. 😕
    I agree. And I've read it somewhere too.....
  7. The sky
    Joined
    05 Apr '05
    Moves
    10385
    09 Apr '07 01:301 edit
    Originally posted by wittywonka
    Lol...not exactly.

    It really sucks how well phrased the line is because it made me forget the titlle/author. 😕
    According to google, it's a quote by Jethro Tull. Seems to be a song, not a book, though.
  8. Standard memberwittywonka
    Chocolate Expert
    Cocoa Mountains
    Joined
    26 Nov '06
    Moves
    19249
    12 Apr '07 01:52
    I asked my friend about the title and he remembered. The book is The History of God, but I'm not sure of the author.
  9. Joined
    29 Oct '06
    Moves
    225
    12 Apr '07 02:01
    Originally posted by wittywonka
    I asked my friend about the title and he remembered. The book is The History of God, but I'm not sure of the author.
    I think "A History of God" by Karen Armstrong is the book you are trying to find. Check it out on amazon.
  10. Standard memberwittywonka
    Chocolate Expert
    Cocoa Mountains
    Joined
    26 Nov '06
    Moves
    19249
    12 Apr '07 02:081 edit
    Originally posted by whiterose
    I think "A History of God" by Karen Armstrong is the book you are trying to find. Check it out on amazon.
    Yep, that's the one. Thanks for providing the author...I had already forgotten her. Have you read it? It sounds like an interesting read...
  11. Joined
    27 Sep '06
    Moves
    9651
    12 Apr '07 02:43
    Originally posted by twittytwonka
    Yep, that's the one. Thanks for providing the author...I had already forgotten her. Have you read it? It sounds like an interesting read...
    The author hopes you think so. Now go out and buy it!
  12. Joined
    29 Oct '06
    Moves
    225
    12 Apr '07 05:59
    Originally posted by wittywonka
    Yep, that's the one. Thanks for providing the author...I had already forgotten her. Have you read it? It sounds like an interesting read...
    No, I haven't read it. It does sound like a very interesting read, though. I'm tempted to buy it myself, and read it in my lack of spare time.
  13. Joined
    01 Jun '06
    Moves
    274
    12 Apr '07 07:23
    Originally posted by Nordlys
    According to google, it's a quote by Jethro Tull. Seems to be a song, not a book, though.
    Well the original Jethro Tull was a 19th century agriculturalist (invented the Seed Drill) so I would not have thought it was him. Google seems to attribute it to the rock band of the same name (lead by Ian Anderson). I certainly don't recall that line from any of their albums though most of the rest of the quotes on that page are correct.

    Actually, Geocities reckons its from the Album Aqualung which certainly deals with this sort of thing. Now I think back, I reckon it may have been on the album cover or sleeve notes rather than being song lyrics. A little more searching confirms this.

    It's actually a superb album with side 2 being heavily critical of organised religion (specifically the Church of England).

    --- Penguin (revealing my musical tastes)
Back to Top