1. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    05 Sep '09 20:272 edits
    Originally posted by ThinkOfOne
    [b]Now as far as a lack of truth regarding what Christ taught, I have no idea what you are referring to.

Try rereading his posts. Nowhere does he speak of "a lack of truth regarding what Christ taught." It's truly alarming how often you things other than what is there. Perhaps this is because you are firmly entrenched in the "mass delusion" of which he does speak.[/b]
    True, he did not say "Christ", rather, he said "religion". As for that, if religion deviates from the teachings of Chirst then it is Christless. In that case, he should abandon it if it occurs. So if we follow religion over Christ, for me it then turns into a cult of sorts.
  2. Joined
    15 Oct '06
    Moves
    05 Sep '09 20:45
    Originally posted by whodey
    True, he did not say "Christ", rather, he said "religion". As for that, if religion deviates from the teachings of Chirst then it is Christless. In that case, he should abandon it if it occurs. So if we follow religion over Christ, for me it then turns into a cult of sorts.
    If only you believed what you say. Much of Christianity deviates from the teachings of Jesus. For instance, your position on homosexuals deviates from the teachings of Jesus. Seriously. Stop and think about it. Ask yourself if your position is directly supported by the teachings of Jesus.
  3. Standard memberWulebgr
    Angler
    River City
    Moves
    05 Sep '09 22:391 edit
  4. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    06 Sep '09 00:441 edit
    If only you believed what you say. Much of Christianity deviates from the teachings of Jesus. For instance, your position on homosexuals deviates from the teachings of Jesus. Seriously. Stop and think about it. Ask yourself if your position is directly supported by the teachings of Jesus.
    I place homosexual activity in the same category as I would fornicating or adultery, however, for some reason you are preoccupied with it, not I. Having said that, I think we should be able to and MUST declare sin a sin just as Christ showed mercy on the woman caught in adultery. If you notice, after showing mercy on her he admonished her to go and sin no more. That is why Christ came. According to him, through him we can overcome sin in our lives so that it could be destroyed in our lives instead of it destroying us. Now lets suppose that the woman caught in adultery continued sinning as she had done. What do you suppose Christ would have said about that, if anything?
  5. Joined
    15 Oct '06
    Moves
    06 Sep '09 00:58
    I place homosexual activity in the same category as I would fornicating or adultery, however, for some reason you are preoccupied with it, not I. Having said that, I think we should be able to and MUST declare sin a sin just as Christ showed mercy on the woman caught in adultery. If you notice, after showing mercy on her he admonished her to go and sin no m ...[text shortened]... ed sinning as she had done. What do you suppose Christ would have said about that, if anything?
    You seem to have missed the point of my post.

You had made the following assertion:
    "As for that, if religion deviates from the teachings of Chirst then it is Christless."

I asked you to consider the following:
    "Ask yourself if your position is directly supported by the teachings of Jesus."

Keep in mind that what I take greatest issue with you regarding your position on homosexuals is the hypocrisy of where you choose to ostracize homosexuals because of their sin while you do not do the same regarding your own sin. I keep reminding you of this, but you seem to ignore it.

But once again:
    "Ask yourself if your position is directly supported by the teachings of Jesus."

for some reason you are preoccupied with it, not I.

Seems like those who are have a bigoted position against another race might voice a similar sentiment to someone who points out their bigotry.
  6. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    06 Sep '09 01:05

"As for that, if religion deviates from the teachings of Chirst then it is Christless."

Keep in mind that what I take greatest issue with you ...[text shortened]... inst another race might voice a similar sentiment to someone who points out their bigotry.
    As you well know, Christ did not talk about homosexuality, or at least, there is no record of it. Having said that, we must then extrapolate based upon his other teachings. As for his other teachings, he said that he had not come to destroy the Mosaic law, but to fulfill and we both know what the Mosaic law says about homosexuality. Of course, you could extrapolate further by saying that the Mosaic law did not really condemn homosexual activity through your interpretation of the Mosaic law, which I think is your position if I recall.

Having said that, what can we say about sin that we both can agree IS sin which is that adultery is sinful? What would Christ have told the woman he showed mercy upon if she continued to sin?
  7. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    06 Sep '09 01:051 edit

Keep in mind that what I take greatest issue with you inst another race might voice a similar sentiment to someone who points out their bigotry.
  8. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    06 Sep '09 01:09
    I wonder if what you ultimately found untenable was the self-centeredness of both conservatism and Christianity.
    So you judge ALL conservative and/or Christians to be selfish and self serving exceeding those who are not?
  9. Joined
    15 Oct '06
    Moves
    06 Sep '09 01:20
    As you well know, Christ did not talk about homosexuality, or at least, there is no record of it. Having said that, we must then extrapolate based upon his other teachings. As for his other teachings, he said that he had not come to destroy the Mosaic law, but to fulfill and we both know what the Mosaic law says about homosexuality. Of course, you could ex ...[text shortened]... is sinful? What would Christ have told the woman he showed mercy upon if she continued to sin?
    For one, this is pretty far removed from "direct" isn't it?

For another, what makes you believe that what the Scribes and Pharisees documented as the law was truly the law. If you read Matthew 5 note that right after Jesus states that He came to fulfill the law, He explicitly states that the Scribes and Pharisees did not know of righteousness and then proceeds to cite several examples of what they had gotten wrong. Jesus came to fulfill the law by setting the standard of righteousness right.

Thirdly, the OT does not address committed homosexual relationships. And if you're going to cite Levitical Law you better be prepared to ostracize those wearing cotton/poly blends as well amongst many other things.
  10. Standard memberWulebgr
    Angler
    River City
    Moves
    06 Sep '09 01:27
    the disciple whom Jesus loved
  11. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    06 Sep '09 01:33
    For one, this is pretty far removed from "direct" isn't it?

For another, what makes you believe that what the Scribes and Pharisees documented as the law was truly the law. If you read Matthew 5 note that right after Jesus states that He came to fulfill the law, He explicitly states that the Scribes and Pharisees did not know of righteousness and then ...[text shortened]... be prepared to ostracize those wearing cotton/poly blends as well amongst many other things.
    First of all, Christ never said that they got the letter of the law wrong, rather, they misinterpreted the spirit of the law. Case in point is their accusation that he broke the sabbath when he healed on the sabbath by doing "a work". Technically, he had violated the letter of the law but not the spirit of the law which is why the law was given in the first place. He never questioned the fact that they DOCUMENTED the law incorrectly, in fact, he corraborated that they got it right.

Having said that, the Mosaic law states that homosexual activity is an abomination before God. We have been over this time and time again, so I don't see the usefulness in rehashing it all again. If I recall, it is your position that what is being discussed here is promiscuous sexual relations that were predominately homosexual during that time, therefore, that is what is being condemned and not couples who are not promiscuous. So I guess it would be your position that there were homosexual unions that were "OK" in Mosaic times because they were monogomous? Either that, or there were no such monogomous homosexual relationships in existence, for whatever reason.
  12. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    06 Sep '09 01:34
    Originally posted by Wulebgr
    the disciple whom Jesus loved
    Say what?
  13. Joined
    15 Oct '06
    Moves
    06 Sep '09 01:35
    So you judge ALL conservative and/or Christians to be selfish and self serving exceeding those who are not?
    C'mon whodey. You really like "extrapolating" don't you?

With Wulebgr you extrapolated "what Christ taught" from "religion"

You now extrapolate a comment about "conservatism" and "Christianity" to mean "ALL conservative and / or Christians".

Extrapolating in a reasonable manner doesn't appear to be one of your strong suits.

From what I can tell you extrapolate one heck of a lot to arrive at what you believe to be "teachings" of Jesus. One can only wonder at how much you manage to muck that up.
  14. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    06 Sep '09 01:38
    C'mon whodey. You really like "extrapolating" don't you?

With Wulebgr you extrapolated "what Christ taught" from "religion"

You now extrapolate a comment about "conservatism" and "Christianity" to mean "ALL conservative and / or Christians".

Extrapolating in a reasonable manner doesn't appear to be one of your strong suits.

From what I can t ...[text shortened]... eachings" of Jesus. One can only wonder at how much you manage to muck that up.
    It was a question, not an answer. I was merely making sure what is being said. So I assume that you don't judge ALL Christians/conservatives to be selfish on average? Is this a fair assessment?
  15. Standard memberWulebgr
    Angler
    River City
    Moves
    06 Sep '09 16:20
    Say what?
    It's in the Bible. Look it up.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree