1. Standard memberAThousandYoung
    Shoot the Squatters?
    tinyurl.com/43m7k8bw
    Moves
    07 Mar '10 19:35
    Luke 19:27 -- "But those mine enemies, which would not that I should reign over them, bring hither, and slay them before me."

That's Jesus talking. It doesn't seem quite in character. Explain please.
  2. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    07 Mar '10 20:02
    Originally posted by AThousandYoung
    Luke 19:27 -- "But those mine enemies, which would not that I should reign over them, bring hither, and slay them before me."

That is Jesus talking in a parable. I do not think the harsh tone should be interpreted as somehow a revelation of God's wrathful nature.
  3. Joined
    02 Aug '06
    Moves
    07 Mar '10 20:031 edit

Seems consistent with the God of the OT who spoke Isaiah 1:23,24.

"Your rulers are rebellious and companions of thieves; They all love bribes and chase after rewards; They do not defend the orphan, nor does the widow's plea come before them.

Hence, the Lord Jehovah of hosts, The Mighty One of Israel, declares: Ah, I will ease Myself of My advasaries, And I will avenge Myself of My enemies."

God establishes in the OT that the unrighteous are His advasaries and His enemies.

Part of the salvation is reconciliation which means that those who were once enemies are no longer so.
  4. Standard memberAThousandYoung
    Shoot the Squatters?
    tinyurl.com/43m7k8bw
    Moves
    07 Mar '10 21:18
    Originally posted by jaywill
    Seems consistent with the God of the OT who spoke [b]Isaiah 1:23,24.

"Your rulers are rebellious and companions of thieves; They all love bribes and chase after rewards; They do not defend the orphan, nor does the widow's plea come before them.

Hence, the Lord Jehovah of hosts, The Mighty One of Israel, declares: Ah, I will ease Myself of M ...[text shortened]... ation is [b]reconciliation
    which means that those who were once enemies are no longer so.[/b]
    But I thought the point of the Trinity is that God the Father does all the wrathful stuff. Jesus is the nice side of God I thought.
  5. Unknown Territories
    Moves
    07 Mar '10 21:20

They were trampled in the winepress outside the city, and blood flowed out of the press, rising as high as the horses' bridles for a distance of 1,600 stadia.
  6. Joined
    02 Aug '06
    Moves
    07 Mar '10 22:25
    But I thought the point of the Trinity is that God the Father does all the wrathful stuff. Jesus is the nice side of God I thought.
    I don't think it is proper to consider the Son of God as another party besides God.

I also don't think that for God to allow injustice and sin to not be dealt with is "nice". It is rather a kind of unrighteousness on His part.

I also can point to many many passages of God's mercy and compassion in the Old Testament before the incarnation of Christ.
  7. Joined
    07 Jan '08
    Moves
    07 Mar '10 22:58

Examine it in the context of that which surrounds it.
  8. Standard memberAThousandYoung
    Shoot the Squatters?
    tinyurl.com/43m7k8bw
    Moves
    08 Mar '10 06:27

It's a character talking in a story Jesus is telling. My mistake.
  9. Joined
    02 Aug '06
    Moves
    08 Mar '10 14:54
    It's a character talking in a story Jesus is telling. My mistake.
    You were not unreasonably off. The character speaking represents God.

God does have enemies. The whole human race became enemies of God - every last one of us.

Part of salvation is called reconciliation .

"For if we, being ENEMIES, were RECONCILED to God through the death of His Son, much more we will be saved in His life, having been RECONCILED." (Rom. 5:10).

Sin involves us in being enemies of God. This is why He tells us "Vengence is Mine. I will repay." The sin against us by others is a transgression against God. He takes it as something He will repay. You need not seek revenge. God will repay.

The other side of this matter is that enemies of God can be reconciled to Him through the redemption in Christ (Rom. 5:10).

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree