1. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    13 Dec '13 15:01
    Anything outside of biblical statements that support that concept?
  2. Account suspended
    Moves
    13 Dec '13 15:58
    Originally posted by sonhouse
    sigh, where to start? the statement, 'man made in Gods image', what does it mean to you?
  3. Standard memberSwissGambit
    Caninus Interruptus
    Moves
    13 Dec '13 17:56
    He had to. Otherwise we wouldn't want to talk to him.
  4. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    13 Dec '13 20:15
    Not that I know of. But it is good enough for me.
  5. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    13 Dec '13 21:33
    Christians aren't wacky Elmo dolls, you know.

You can't push our buttons and expect some stupid thing to come out of our mouths.

(Then again, depending on the Christian, maybe you can. Depends on how high you set the bar for stupid, I guess.)
  6. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    13 Dec '13 23:32
    Originally posted by Suzianne
    Christians aren't wacky Elmo dolls, you know.

You can't push our buttons and expect some stupid thing to come out of our mouths.

(Then again, depending on the Christian, maybe you can. Depends on how high you set the bar for stupid, I guess.)
    Well so far the answer is no, just what it says in the bible.

The thing is, why isn't that concept in anything but Abrahamic religions?

I would think a real god would have its metaphorical finger in all religions on Earth in all times, whether from 200,000 years ago up to today in all cultures.

You have to admit your god is supposed to be omni this and that and as such would know everything about everything which would have included complete knowledge of everything to do with mankind from long ago to present day.

So why don't those religions have a story in it about a god having made men in ITS image? Why only Abrahamic religions?
  7. Standard membergalveston75
    Texasman
    San Antonio Texas
    Moves
    14 Dec '13 00:09
    Qualities that only humans have that animals don't....
  8. Standard memberSoothfast
    Planet Rain
    Moves
    14 Dec '13 00:10
    Well so far the answer is no, just what it says in the bible.

The thing is, why isn't that concept in anything but Abrahamic religions?

I would think a real god would have its metaphorical finger in all religions on Earth in all times, whether from 200,000 years ago up to today in all cultures.

You have to admit your god is supposed to be omni th ...[text shortened]... gions have a story in it about a god having made men in ITS image? Why only Abrahamic religions?
    Are you really expecting answers beyond "Because my Bible told me so"?
  9. Standard memberwolfgang59
    Quiz Master
    RHP Arms
    Moves
    14 Dec '13 00:33
    Originally posted by Soothfast
    Maybe.
    We can think.
    Use what you know of your god to conjecture.

How's this;
    1. God is an Intelligent Designer.
    2. We (humans) design;
    we design machines stronger than us,
    we design machines faster than us,
    we design machines with better memories than us.
    3. Surely a god would do the same? His designs would in some way be "better" than him?
    4. What attribute could Man have that is better than god's?
  10. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    14 Dec '13 00:33
    Originally posted by Soothfast
    I am making the point about why a god would not have common referents in the worlds religions if they all came about from this god or even some of them.

What we have instead is a collage of religious beliefs and each one claims to be THE one true religion.

Looking at all that, I would have expected some common thread, some line that meets up in all religions but there is very little commonality and it just points to the idea all religions were made up by mankind, mostly men but some women also, there doesn't seem to be any commonality in them that would suggest something beyond human constructs.
  11. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    15 Dec '13 03:431 edit
    I am making the point about why a god would not have common referents in the worlds religions if they all came about from this god or even some of them.

What we have instead is a collage of religious beliefs and each one claims to be THE one true religion.

Looking at all that, I would have expected some common thread, some line that meets up in all r ...[text shortened]... doesn't seem to be any commonality in them that would suggest something beyond human constructs.
    I believe Christianity is the only true religion, so I don't worry about what other world religions teach.

According to the Holy Bible, God created and made many different things. So man can create and make many different things also, because man is made in the image and likeness of God.
  12. Subscriberjosephw
    Owner
    Scoffer Mocker
    Moves
    15 Dec '13 18:03
    There isn't anything outside of Biblical statements concerning anything in creation that support any concept.

In other words, only God's Word carries enough of the weight of authority to be considered proof enough for any concept to be believed.

Frees up the mind too!
  13. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    20 Dec '13 14:303 edits
    Well, the evidence argues for SOME kind of uniqueness of human beings.

There is nothing else on the planet quite like a human being. Now the reason FOR that is open to speculation.

I expect this post to be followed by protestations about how unique the cockroach and the snapping turtle are.

Statements on the uniqueness of humanity is usually interpreted to be an under appreciation of every other life form. However, we can appreciate the specialty of the octopus and chimps and still realistically admit that nothing like a man is elsewhere in the biosphere.

Why ?

I believe one reason is that God made man in the image of God and according to the likeness of God. Just like the Bible reveals.

Genesis 1:26,27
  14. Joined
    16 Jan '07
    Moves
    21 Dec '13 12:35
    Originally posted by sonship
    Well, the evidence argues for SOME kind of uniqueness of human beings.

There is nothing else on the planet quite like a human being. Now the reason FOR that is open to speculation.

I expect this post to be followed by protestations about how unique the cockroach and the snapping turtle are.

Statements on the uniqueness of humanity is usually ...[text shortened]... e of God and according to the likeness of God. Just like the Bible reveals.

Genesis 1:26,27
    There is nothing else on the planet quite like a human being. Now the reason FOR that is open to speculation

i would speculate that its because we killed off all the competition long ago.
  15. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    21 Dec '13 12:441 edit
    Just common sense is all.

If you create something it will say a great deal about you as well. It will show your intelligence level, what matters to you, and what your needs are. In short, it is a reflection of who you are.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree