1. Donationrwingett
    Ming the Merciless
    Royal Oak, MI
    Moves
    30 Oct '12 02:341 edit
    The more I watch 'Inherit the Wind', the more I have come to view it as a tragedy. Matthew Harrison Brady (William Jennings Bryan) truly was a great, great man in his day. Defender of the common man. Three time presidential nominee on the Democratic ticket. Free Silver. The Cross of Gold speech. Outspent by big business 16 to 1 in the 1896 election. But all that is forgotten now. All that comes down to us these days is his unfortunate involvement with the Scopes trial. He deserved a better epitaph.
  2. Joined
    31 May '06
    Moves
    30 Oct '12 16:32
    Originally posted by rwingett
    The more I watch 'Inherit the Wind', the more I have come to view it as a tragedy. Matthew Harrison Brady (William Jennings Bryan) truly was a great, great man in his day. Defender of the common man. Three time presidential nominee on the Democratic ticket. Free Silver. The Cross of Gold speech. Outspent by big business 16 to 1 in the 1896 election. But all ...[text shortened]... these days is his unfortunate involvement with the Scopes trial. He deserved a better epitaph.
    The bad that we do very often outweighs and overshadows the good.

It's probably not a bad thing and is an incentive not to do bad things.

His opposition to Science and reason was a bad thing, and should be remembered as such.
  3. Donationrwingett
    Ming the Merciless
    Royal Oak, MI
    Moves
    30 Oct '12 19:41
    Originally posted by googlefudge
    The bad that we do very often outweighs and overshadows the good.

It's probably not a bad thing and is an incentive not to do bad things.

His opposition to Science and reason was a bad thing, and should be remembered as such.
    I disagree with your either/or assessment. Bryan was a flawed character to be sure, but I don't think the "bad" he did outweighs the good at all. It tarnished his accomplishments, but I don't think you can just throw those accomplishments out as a result.
  4. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    30 Oct '12 20:28
    Originally posted by rwingett
    The more I watch 'Inherit the Wind', the more I have come to view it as a tragedy. Matthew Harrison Brady (William Jennings Bryan) truly was a great, great man in his day. Defender of the common man. Three time presidential nominee on the Democratic ticket. Free Silver. The Cross of Gold speech. Outspent by big business 16 to 1 in the 1896 election. But all ...[text shortened]... these days is his unfortunate involvement with the Scopes trial. He deserved a better epitaph.
    Further proof that the religious and the political should not mix.
  5. Joined
    31 May '06
    Moves
    30 Oct '12 21:32
    Originally posted by Suzianne
    Further proof that the religious and the political should not mix.
    Well that's something we can agree on at least.

The government has no business making laws based on religious beliefs.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree