1. PenTesting
    Moves
    17 Nov '11 19:54
    Excerpts from The Mental Health of Jehovah's Witnesses
    By John Spencer

The present study of 50 Jehovah's Witnesses admitted to the Mental Health Service facilities of Western Australia suggests that members of this section of the community are :
    - more likely to be admitted to a psychiatric hospital than the general population. Furthermore, followers of the sect are
    - three times more likely to be diagnosed as suffering from schizophrenia and
    - nearly four times more likely from paranoid schizophrenia than the rest of the population at risk.

These findings suggest that being a member of the Jehovah's Witnesses faith may be a risk factor predisposing to a schizophrenic illness. Further studies would be interesting in investigating whether pre-psychotic people are more likely to join the sect than normal people and what part (if any) membership has in bringing about such a breakdown.

Many of us have an occasion surprised ourselves at our rather impulsive, discourteous behavior when faced with the persistent insistence of members of the Jehovah's Witnesses sect. The firm conviction with which they not only adhere to their beliefs but also incriminate us, the unrequested listener, is rather disquieting. Any attempt to dissuade them logically is frequently met with a further monologue of their inflexible belief system.

http://www.rickross.com/reference/jw/jw72.html
  2. Standard memberAgerg
    The 'edit'or
    converging to it
    Moves
    17 Nov '11 19:571 edit
    Originally posted by Rajk999
    By John Spencer

The present study of 50 Jehovah's Witnesses admitted to the Mental Health Service facilities of Western Australia suggests that members of this section of the community are :
    - more likely to be admitted to a psychiatric hospital than the general population. Furthermore, follo nologue of their inflexible belief system.

I get the impression you don't like JWs!
  3. Account suspended
    Moves
    17 Nov '11 19:592 edits
    By John Spencer

- more likely to be admitted to a psychiatric hospital than the general population. Furthermore, follo nologue of their inflexible belief system.

strange that a member of my family suffers from a mental illness and out of three
    psychiatric wards in stobhill hospital they were the only Jehovahs witness in the entire
    facility of some 100+ patients, how do you explain that phenomena? I resent your sick
    attempts to defame Jehovahs witnesses in this way, as you attempted to use child
    abuse as a vehicle for your hatred in a similar fashion, i wont be reading any more of
    your garbage.
  4. PenTesting
    Moves
    17 Nov '11 20:15
    Originally posted by Agerg
    I get the impression you don't like JWs!
    I am simply showing people the research done by others on the JWs. People need to know lest they fall prey to their enticing words that they alone have the truth; they alone are Gods people and the rest of the world is damned etc etc.
  5. PenTesting
    Moves
    17 Nov '11 20:591 edit
    Originally posted by robbie carrobie
    strange that a member of my family suffers from a mental illness and out of three
    psychiatric wards in stobhill hospital they were the only Jehovahs witness in the entire
    facility of some 100+ patients, how do you explain that phenomena? I resent your sick
    attempts to defame Jehovahs witnesses in this way, as you attempted to use child
    abuse ...[text shortened]... as a vehicle for your hatred in a similar fashion, i wont be reading any more of
    your garbage.
    I know you think that the world revolves around you and the JWs but unfortunately I have to tell you that it does not. I dont post these things for you or Galveston to read. This information is for non-JWs, and the intention is to educate, that is why I post information which results from the studies done by others.

Proper studies involve a large population which reduces the likeihood of bias. I know that you dont understand this concept becuase you claimed that we should visit a Kingdom Hall for ourselves to see the proof that there is no child-abuse or that their is 'love' among the members. You must have the intellect of a 8yr old to be so naive.

Now as for your claim that you have a family-member with mental illness, I have two comments :
    - 1 out of 100 is 10 per 1000, and that is far higher than the ratio in the study posted.
    - If there is mental illness in your family that explains a lot about you, as mental illness runs in families.

I would be very happy if you and Galveston neither read nor respond to my posts becuase you are both too brainwashed to be helped.
  6. Standard memberAgerg
    The 'edit'or
    converging to it
    Moves
    17 Nov '11 21:106 edits
    I am simply showing people the research done by others on the JWs. People need to know lest they fall prey to their enticing words that they alone have the truth; they alone are Gods people and the rest of the world is damned etc etc.
    Your religion is just a different point on the same curve. You also think that you (and those sharing your faith) are the lucky ones who get to kick your feet back in some magic hammock in the sky and listen to harp music for all frickin eternity whilst the rest of us get the shaft.
    Moreover I could also make similar broad-brush claims about the mental or intellectual integrity of those following your religion, I'm sure I could find something on google to support such a claim.

Anyway, it looks like a bit of a crap study to me - only one group of 50 JWs put under the microscope by one psychiatrist and we're meant to take his findings as cast-iron proof that JWs are more deranged than those of any other religious organisation!? **** off! 😵
  7. PenTesting
    Moves
    17 Nov '11 21:281 edit
    Your religion is just a different point on the same curve. You also think that you (and those sharing your faith) are the lucky ones who get to kick your feet back in some magic hammock in the sky and listen to harp music for all frickin eternity whilst the rest of us get the shaft.
    Moreover I could also make similar broad-brush claims about the mental or int proof that JWs are more deranged than those of any other religious organisation!? **** off! 😵
    My religion ? What is my religion?

I take you you are not familiar with what a 'study' is. I never heard anyone claim that a study is cast iron proof.
  8. Standard memberAgerg
    The 'edit'or
    converging to it
    Moves
    17 Nov '11 21:331 edit
    My religion ? What is my religion?

I take you you are not familiar with what a 'study' is. I never heard anyone claim that a study is cast iron proof.
    Well you certainly seem to think it's conclusive - John Spencer (I wonder if he's a "standard Christian" btw) reckons JW's are more likely to be profoundly mentally unstable, and so you leap on it for the purpose of "educating" the rest of us 😵
  9. PenTesting
    Moves
    17 Nov '11 21:38
    Well you certainly seem to think it's conclusive - John Spencer (I wonder if he's a "standard Christian" btw) reckons JW's are more likely to be profoundly mentally unstable, and so you leap on it for the purpose of "educating" the rest of us 😵
    Clearly you dont know what "my religion" is.
    You know why ? Beucase I dont go around these forums proclaiming the superiority of any religion over another. And thats opposite to the JWs.
  10. Standard memberAgerg
    The 'edit'or
    converging to it
    Moves
    17 Nov '11 21:431 edit
    Clearly you dont know what "my religion" is.
    You know why ? Beucase I dont go around these forums proclaiming the superiority of any religion over another. And thats opposite to the JWs.
    I'm pretty sure it's of the talking snake variety!

But anyway, lemme get this straight: you dont go around these forums proclaiming the superiority of any religion over another whilst simultaneously trying to demonstrate the inferiority of JWs to every other religion (which means the superiority of all religions over JWs).

Are you sure that's your final answer!? 😵
  11. PenTesting
    Moves
    17 Nov '11 21:45
    I'm pretty sure it's of the talking snake variety!

But anyway, lemme get this straight: you dont go around these forums proclaiming the superiority of any religion over another whilst simultaneously trying to demonstrate the inferiority of JWs to every other religion (which means the superiority of all religions over JWs).

Are you sure that's your final answer!? 😵
    Yes, thats my final answer. The JWs go around proclaiming their superiority so Im levelling the playing field by pointing out things in their closet which they try to hide.
  12. Standard memberAgerg
    The 'edit'or
    converging to it
    Moves
    17 Nov '11 21:502 edits
    Yes, thats my final answer. The JWs go around proclaiming their superiority so Im levelling the playing field by pointing out things in their closet which they try to hide.
    and, moving on from the contradiction in your last post, you're not taking John Spencer's findings as a factual statement about JWs either (see your third post prior) when you point out what they're hiding in their closet!? 😵
  13. PenTesting
    Moves
    17 Nov '11 22:06
    and, moving on from the contradiction in your last post, you're not taking John Spencer's findings as a factual statement about JWs either (see your third post prior) when you point out what they're hiding in their closet!? 😵
    There is no contradiction. A study simply presents findings. No conclusions were made except that more research is necessary.

In the other thread about Child Abuse, there were allegations by some that elders of the WT Org were protecting or hiding those accused, while at the same time discouraging the accusers from telling outsiders. Those are skeletons in the closet.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree