1. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    24 Mar '19 02:08
    @secondson said
    It's not, necessarily. You've drifted from the line of thought and are out of context.

In divegeester's first post in reply to the OP he said, "About 2 weeks after recently giving up work and relocating to the coast. Pretty much every day is bliss now."

I took it that divegeester meant that living on the coast is 'peace' for him.
    Yeah, blah blah blah.

How is living on a coast "materialistic"?
  2. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    24 Mar '19 02:09
    @secondson said
    Anyone can claim to have peace from just about anything. To my way of thinking, true peace doesn't come from a geographical location, but instead from the author of peace.
    How does divegeester's reference to his geographical location make him "materialistic"?
  3. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    24 Mar '19 02:12
    @secondson said
    John the Baptist said he was not Elijah.
    According to the Bible, Jesus said John the Baptist was Elijah. In light of that, what does it matter what John the Baptist said?
  4. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    24 Mar '19 06:10
    @secondson said
    Anyone can claim to have peace from just about anything. To my way of thinking, true peace doesn't come from a geographical location, but instead from the author of peace.
    Yes, and anyone can claim that they only get peace when all their problems are cascading in on them, when life is at its worst...as you did.

The difference between your post and my post was authenticity. My post was secular in its nature yes, but it was genuine. Your post was you faking a spirituality I don’t think you posses. It was a churchy sound-bite, and I’ve heard it dozens of times before from Christians who want to project an image of robust spirituality. Sorry, you’re not convincing.
  5. Joined
    15 Jun '10
    Moves
    24 Mar '19 06:17
    @fmf said
    Now there is a word I have never used, in all my years here, to describe any concept found in the Bible or in anyone else's religious texts or beliefs.
    It's a good word, though; very expressive, and sums up a great deal of that which is writ in the Spirituality forum.
  6. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    24 Mar '19 07:18
    @fmf said
    I am never as scornful about other people and about other people's ideas as you so often are. So, yes, in a way, that is good for me.
    That's really funny.

You say that as if I should believe it.

I see zero evidence for your claim, but, as always, enjoy your fantasy.

And as always, whatever helps you sleep at night.
  7. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    24 Mar '19 07:24
    @divegeester said
    This forum is the religious version of debates. Both forums are metaphors for the Somme.
    And I'm sure that those who lost loved ones in that killing field agree with your flippancy.

I never did agree with your concept of scorched-earth forum combat, and now you're comparing it to the Somme. Dear God.
  8. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    24 Mar '19 07:46
    @suzianne said
    That's really funny.

You say that as if I should believe it.

I see zero evidence for your claim, but, as always, enjoy your fantasy.

And as always, whatever helps you sleep at night.
    While I have ideas that some don't like, I don't post any scorn just for scorn's sake. This is not something you can claim about yourself.
  9. Standard memberCalJust
    It is what it is
    Pretoria
    Moves
    24 Mar '19 08:42
    @secondson said

John the Baptist said he was not Elijah.
    John the B did not know he was Elijah - not unusual.

Jesus said he was.
  10. Standard memberCalJust
    It is what it is
    Pretoria
    Moves
    24 Mar '19 08:44
    @thinkofone said

Ultimately, what is of importance is living in truth.
    Amen, brother. Preach it!
  11. Standard memberCalJust
    It is what it is
    Pretoria
    Moves
    24 Mar '19 10:20
    @bigdoggproblem said
    Good questions.

I think peace can mean either or both of the two definitions you gave. In addition, I wish I was better at the whole "unflappableness" thing! It's not so easy.

I do think some people have stronger peaceful tendencies than others. Definitely. Sometimes I read stuff about Buddhism, and realize that some of the behaviors are routinely done by non-Bud ...[text shortened]... lomat does exactly that, for example. Someone breaking up a fight is promoting peace through action.
    Thanks, BDP - all good comments.

I often quote and practice the Serenity Prayer, it is really powerful.
    For example, we have real problems currently in SA with our power utility falling apart, and daily blackouts. Lots of people extremely worried, yet to what avail? I know that I can do nothing about it personally (although at one stage of my career this was my biggest involvement, and the deterioration pains me to watch). Living in the moment means accepting the situation exactly as it is, letting it be without mental resistance, and then pondering what is my best response (a la the SP).

Another sense of real peace for me comes with the successful completion of a difficult project, or the attainment of a specific goal - like climbing a mountain. Or is that merely satisfaction? Don’t know.

But the bottom line (of peace) is probably not to be constantly at war with yourself, take the good and the bad as it comes. Play the hand that you are dealt to the best of your ability.
  12. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    25 Mar '19 01:58
    @caljust said
    Amen, brother. Preach it!
    In what way are you bretheren with @thinkofone?

What is “it” you feel he is preaching?
  13. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    25 Mar '19 02:00
    @caljust said
    .But the bottom line (of peace) is probably not to be constantly at war with yourself, take the good and the bad as it comes. Play the hand that you are dealt to the best of your ability.
    This makes sense to me.
  14. Standard memberCalJust
    It is what it is
    Pretoria
    Moves
    26 Mar '19 18:17
    @divegeester said
    In what way are you bretheren with @thinkofone?

What is “it” you feel he is preaching?
    In the same way that I am a brother of yours - and fmf - and the birds in my garden and the trees of the field.

What I agreed with, is what I referenced - i.e. to live in truth, and in peace.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree