1. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    18 Oct '17 03:53
    Here is a hypothetical question for those whose religious beliefs and perspectives lead them to believe that their faith in, worship of, and obedience to their supernatural creator will lead to an eternal life that continues in a different form after their earthly death.

If there were a revelation that (further) confirmed you were created, just as you believed you were, and that you were loved by your creator, also as you believed, and watched over, and your prayers were indeed answered on occasion, and that you were forgiven your "sins" if you were repentant, and that the mutual love between the creator and the created enriched your lives and brought you blessings, as you believed...

...BUT, by contrast, this revelation made it clear that the idea-expectation-hope that you would have eternal life was a mistaken belief, and that after living your life on this earth, you die and are buried, and this is the end of a finite personhood and unique narrative ~ an opportunity ~ gifted to you by your creator...

...what would you see as being your meaning and purpose in life and how would this meaning and purpose relate to your beliefs about your creator and His gift (updated as they'd be, as explained above)?
  2. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    18 Oct '17 11:24
    Originally posted by @fmf
    Here is a hypothetical question for those whose religious beliefs and perspectives lead them to believe that their faith in, worship of, and obedience to their supernatural creator will lead to an eternal life that continues in a different form after their earthly death.

If there were a revelation that (further) confirmed you were created, just as you belie ...[text shortened]... late to your beliefs about your creator and His gift (updated as they'd be, as explained above)?
    If a spirit preaches a gospel other than the one found in the Bible, that spirit is of Satan.
  3. Standard memberapathist
    looking for loot
    western colorado
    Moves
    18 Oct '17 15:54
    Originally posted by @fmf
    Here is a hypothetical question...
    I think you don't really understand your target. Honesty is not one of their hole cards. Stack logic and reason and evidence up to the heavens and your target can just wave it all away.
  4. Standard memberapathist
    looking for loot
    western colorado
    Moves
    18 Oct '17 15:55
    Originally posted by @eladar
    If a spirit preaches a gospel other than the one found in the Bible, that spirit is of Satan.
    I should believe as you do, or I go to hell. That was fresh.
  5. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    18 Oct '17 16:03
    Originally posted by @apathist
    I think you don't really understand your target. Honesty is not one of their hole cards. Stack logic and reason and evidence up to the heavens and your target can just wave it all away.
    You apparently don't get the OP. It's got nothing to do with logic and reason and evidence.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree