Moses

Standard memberwhodey
Spirituality 25 Feb '13 01:06
  1. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    25 Feb '13 01:061 edit
    I have always found it interesting that God denied Moeses the right to enter the promised land because of his sin. After all, he was the man chosen to lead them, the man who talked to God face to face, the man whose name is known throughout all the world as a man of God.

What is the message here?
  2. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    25 Feb '13 02:14
    Originally posted by whodey
    I have always found it interesting that God denied Moeses the right to enter the promised land because of his sin. After all, he was the man chosen to lead them, the man who talked to God face to face, the man whose name is known throughout all the world as a man of God.

Don't count your chickens before they hatch. 😏
  3. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    25 Feb '13 06:18

This was a foreshadowing of the Hebrews, God's Chosen People, losing their blessing from God and suffering through the Babylonian Exile because they had fallen away from God.
  4. Wat?
    Moves
    25 Feb '13 06:45
    Lots of good runners named Moeses, or Moses.

Runners keep everything running smoothly, like in films and books where everything is expected to have a good end result.

Moses Masai, Moeses Kiptanui etc. ; excellent runners.

'The' Moeses mucked up the end of the book, as there was an alledged crucifixion, and that is why God, the author, got mightily cross with him!

-m. 😀
  5. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    25 Feb '13 07:14
    Originally posted by RJHinds
    Don't count your chickens before they hatch. 😏
    You really don't have anything of any spiritual value to contribute whatsoever do you.
  6. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    25 Feb '13 07:23

Good question. There are lots of Gospel messages in play here I think; warnings against disobedience, warning against anger. But mainly the message is that the rock was being struck twice by Moses instead of once, where Christ is the Rock and he "died once - for all". Also Moses represented the Law, and it is the law which brings us to Christ. Christ is the one who leads us over Jordan and into freedom or the promised land of his rest - this is represented in the OT through Joshua and to an extent Caleb. This is my take on it anyway.
  7. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    26 Feb '13 16:36
    Originally posted by mikelom
    'The' Moeses mucked up the end of the book, as there was an alledged crucifixion, and that is why God, the author, got mightily cross with him!

-m. 😀
    mikelom, the Seth MacFarlane of the Spirituality Forum.

😞
  8. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    26 Feb '13 20:35
    Originally posted by divegeester
    You really don't have anything of any spiritual value to contribute whatsoever do you.
    I don't like to be so serious all the time. I like to be happy. 😏
  9. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    27 Feb '13 01:26
    Good question. There are lots of Gospel messages in play here I think; warnings against disobedience, warning against anger. But mainly the message is that the rock was being struck twice by Moses instead of once, where Christ is the Rock and he "died once - for all". Also Moses represented the Law, and it is the law which brings us to Christ. Christ ...[text shortened]... is represented in the OT through Joshua and to an extent Caleb. This is my take on it anyway.
    Good answer.

I would just like to add is the emphasis that God is not a respecter of persons.
  10. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    05 Mar '13 00:364 edits
    Good question. There are lots of Gospel messages in play here I think; warnings against disobedience, warning against anger. But mainly the message is that the rock was being struck twice by Moses instead of once, where Christ is the Rock and he "died once - for all". Also Moses represented the Law, and it is the law which brings us to Christ. Christ ...[text shortened]... is represented in the OT through Joshua and to an extent Caleb. This is my take on it anyway.s
    Divegeester's insight approaches what I too have learned.
    I think we are talking about Numbers 20 compared to Exodus 17.

Moses was told by God to speak to the rock. Moses let his temper get the better of him. Instead of speaking to the rock he struck the rock twice.

God honored his prophet and let the life quenching water flow. But he took Moses aside and told him that he failed to sanctify God before the people.

Christ was struck by the judgment of God once for all. From that one death all sinners now only need to call on the Lord or to speak to the Lord. Christ died once. He is not crucified more than once.

I think I recall that the Hebrew word for the rock in that passage is different from the previous instance when God told Moses to strike the rock with his rod. In this instance the word indicatess "lifted" as in lifted up. This probably signifies the resurrected Christ in ascension. After His death on the cross He was resurrected and ascended to the third heaven, to "the right hand of the Majesty on high".

To receive the Holy Spirit we only need to speak to the ascended Lord at the throne in Heaven. We do not need to worship Christ still hanging on the cross but Christ resurrected and ascended to the peak of the universe (as it were).
  11. Joined
    29 Mar '09
    Moves
    08 Mar '13 05:02

Maybe because Moses slipped and broke some of the tablets, god didn't want the clumsy man around the promised land.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree