1. Joined
    24 Apr '05
    Moves
    22 Jun '05 16:09
    did you know that st. peters basilica in the vatican is one of the largest cathedrals in the world (some consider it the largest)? the romans sure know it. in fact, if you study the marbled floors in the basilica, you will find markings that show where other large churches would end, thus giving you a sense of how much larger st. peters is above and beyond these other measly churches. the roman tour guides squeal with delight when they point out the markings; they try in vain to hold it in. listen closely to what i am saying: the constructors actually went out of their way to scribe these lavish markings under foot -- and they update them over the years as new measly churches get built.

i got a good chuckle out of that. i honestly cannot think of anything more pathetic. so sad are the things that hold high the chins of men. the church is impressive to a fault; it's also silly, obscene, ridiculous, absurd. it's egoism, nothing more. for whom did they build the church anyway?

in fact, the whole of rome reminds me of Shelley's Ozymandias -- i love this poem because it cuts through the BS like a hot knife:

"I met a traveler from an antique land
    Who said: Two vast and trunkless legs of stone
    Stand in the desert. Near them, on the sand,
    Half sunk, a shattered visage lies, whose frown,
    And wrinkled lip, and sneer of cold command,
    Tell that its sculptor well those passions read,
    Which yet survive, stamped on these lifeless things,
    The hand that mocked them, and the heart that fed,
    And on the pedestal these words appear:
    "My name is Ozymandias, King of Kings:
    Look upon my works, ye Mighty, and despair!"
    Nothing beside remains. Round the decay
    Of that colossal wreck, boundless and bare
    The lone and level sands stretch far away."
  2. Standard memberRBHILL
    Acts 13:48
    California
    Moves
    22 Jun '05 22:43
    Originally posted by LemonJello
    did you know that st. peters basilica in the vatican is one of the largest cathedrals in the world (some consider it the largest)? the romans sure know it. in fact, if you study the marbled floors in the basilica, you will find markings that show where other large churches would end, thus giving you a sense of how much larger st. peters is above and bey ...[text shortened]... decay
    Of that colossal wreck, boundless and bare
    The lone and level sands stretch far away."
    Church size doesn't matter, what matters is the heart of a person.
  3. Joined
    24 Apr '05
    Moves
    23 Jun '05 00:52
    Originally posted by RBHILL
    Church size doesn't matter, what matters is the heart of a person.
    despite the fact that this reply is sappier than maple syrup and would fit nicely into any epsiode of little house on the prairie, i agree with you.

so there, we've settled it once and for all -- size doesn't matter.
  4. Standard memberPalynka
    Upward Spiral
    Halfway
    Moves
    23 Jun '05 01:00
    Originally posted by LemonJello
    despite the fact that this reply is sappier than maple syrup and would fit nicely into any epsiode of little house on the prairie, i agree with you.

so there, we've settled it once and for all -- size doesn't matter.
    As institutionalized religions go, size is all that matters.

Size of their flock, size of their churches...

Thank God I'm an atheist.
  5. Joined
    14 Jun '04
    Moves
    23 Jun '05 01:08
    Originally posted by Palynka
    As institutionalized religions go, size is all that matters.

Size of their flock, size of their churches...

Thank God I'm an atheist.
    Don't know if it was purposely, but you just thanked God for being an atheist....
  6. Joined
    24 Apr '05
    Moves
    23 Jun '05 01:22
    Originally posted by Alpha10
    Don't know if it was purposely, but you just thanked God for being an atheist....
    too devilishly clever to not be purposeful.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree