1. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    28 Sep '22 12:59
    Mystery causes curiosity. Curiosity demands answers. Theologies offer answers. So, mystery is the enabler of theologies. As someone once said: "Mystery is the safe space for people's God figures.

Thoughts?
  2. Standard membermchill
    Cryptic
    Behind the scenes
    Moves
    28 Sep '22 13:191 edit
    @fmf said
    Mystery causes curiosity. Curiosity demands answers. Theologies offer answers. So, mystery is the enabler of theologies. As someone once said: "Mystery is the safe space for people's God figures.

Thoughts?
    I can agree with this but would point out mystery is not confined to theology. It has been the enabler or beginning of many scientific, mathematical, archeological, and medical breakthroughs.
  3. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    28 Sep '22 13:30
    @mchill said
    I can agree with this but would point out mystery is not confined to theology. It has been the enabler or beginning of many scientific, mathematical, archeological, and medical breakthroughs.
    Scientific curiosity and endeavour continue to address mysteries and transform knowledge, whereas Christian theology, for example, has been relatively static and incurious for 2,000 years.
  4. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    28 Sep '22 13:41
    @mchill said
    I can agree with this but would point out mystery is not confined to theology.
    To your way of thinking, what "breakthroughs" have there been in theological "knowledge" in recent centuries? Mystery enables theologies to lay claim to immutable knowledge. But the same mystery enables science to expand and deepen knowledge.
  5. Standard membermchill
    Cryptic
    Behind the scenes
    Moves
    28 Sep '22 13:43
    @fmf said
    Scientific curiosity and endeavour continue to address mysteries and transform knowledge, whereas Christian theology, for example, has been relatively static and incurious for 2,000 years.
    Christian theology, for example, has been relatively static and incurious for 2,000 years.

Static, perhaps, but not incurious. A great deal of time, effort, and resources has been devoted to this mystery over the last 2000 years.
  6. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    28 Sep '22 13:46
    @mchill said
    Static, perhaps, but not incurious. A great deal of time, effort, and resources has been devoted to this mystery over the last 2000 years.
    "A great deal of time, effort, and resources has been devoted to" doing what exactly?

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree