1. Joined
    06 May '05
    Moves
    20 Jan '11 16:28
    Originally posted by FreakyKBH
    I always thought the governor was the head of the executive branch of the state.
    The governor is, so what?
  2. Joined
    02 Aug '06
    Moves
    20 Jan '11 19:376 edits
    Originally posted by buckky
    What the deal with the new Alabama Leader. Only wants to represent Christians. Does not sound very Christian to me.
    Where did he say he would, as a governor, "only represent" his Christian brothers and sisters ?

What I saw was that he wanted everyone to be his Christian brother or sister.

What I didn't see yet, is your charge, that he was only governor of those who were his Christian brothers and sisters.

Is this hype and spin on your part ? Do you hear words accurately ?

Prove me wrong and I'll be debunked. I'm all ears. I am just going by what I see the man said.
  3. Standard memberwittywonka
    Chocolate Expert
    Cocoa Mountains
    Moves
    21 Jan '11 07:291 edit
    Originally posted by RBHILL
    You must put your Christian Bothers and sisters first.
    Just like how the shepherd loved the 99 sheep more than the lost 1?

Edit: Not that I view non-Christians as "lost" per se, but I would imagine the vast majority of mainstream Christians would.
  4. Joined
    02 Aug '06
    Moves
    21 Jan '11 14:263 edits
    What I read was in essence "Boy, I wish EVERYBODY could be my Christian brother or sister!"

Since black people are often accustomed to calling other blacks "brothers" and "sisters" the man was simply emphasizing that the "brotherhood" as it were, to him, is only in the Christian faith.

I did not see him say the Christian church and the state of Alabama were identical.

No one has yet demonstrated to me that the man said in essence "I will only be a Governor representing Christians."

Where is such an announcement ? I could be wrong. But where is it ??
  5. Joined
    15 Oct '06
    Moves
    22 Jan '11 02:28
    Originally posted by FreakyKBH
    [b]Your reading skills and command of the English language could use a bit of work.
    Perhaps, but I'd kick your ass in a slang-fest.

Try looking up "outrageous" and "brother" in the dictionary.
    I tried, but every time I type "outrageous" or "brother" in the search box at dictionary.com, it comes back with:

[quote]No results found for "ou ...[text shortened]... ork had already been done for me. I simply pointed out the painfully obvious.[/b]
    lol. And the desperation continues...
  6. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    22 Jan '11 22:382 edits
    Originally posted by PsychoPawn
    He wasn't elected to represent the gospel - he was elected to represent all his constituents equally.

His words show that his attitude is that he sees some of his constituents as not being as equal as others.

Here's the question, if he were a muslim would you be ok with him saying that he sees only muslims as his brothers and sisters?

Do yo ...[text shortened]... in christian mandates and do that then that is fine, otherwise he should find another job.
    He wasn't elected to represent the gospel - he was elected to represent all his constituents equally.

No; he wasn't. He was elected by a certain majority of the state of Alabama whose interests approximately corresponded to his election promises. He is elected to serve their interests. In this case, it seems that his strong Christian values, believing the gospel should have an important role in political life, were appealing to a number of voters. You may perhaps argue that in the role of governor, he represents Alabama to the rest of the US and in some ceremonial roles, acts as their representative. Nonetheless, he was elected to serve particular interests, not to represent all constituents equally.
  7. St. Peter's
    Moves
    22 Jan '11 23:10
    Originally posted by RBHILL
    You must put your Christian Bothers and sisters first.
    which is why Christians should never ever be involved in politics
  8. Standard memberBusygirl
    The BOSS
    in my own mind.
    Moves
    23 Jan '11 03:36
    Originally posted by Doward
    or education
  9. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    23 Jan '11 04:47
    Originally posted by Doward
    Because excluding Christians from politics would be more democratic, right?

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree