1. Joined
    31 May '06
    Moves
    10 Dec '13 02:341 edit
    Originally posted by tim88
    was he not being a smartass to me first. but i know you guys have a team and your just trying to be a team player
    I think you belong to the school of people that mistakenly believe that "smart"
    and "smartass"* mean the same thing...

No I was not being a smartass... I was simply pointing out your 'evidence' came
    from a site that literally listed why the 'evidence' was wrong right next to it.

If I was being a smartass I would have made fun of you while I did it, for being
    so comically stupid as to quote arguments from a site debunking them.

My post would have in fact looked more like this one...

I hope that this helps you with your evidently ongoing quest to comprehend the
    basics of the English language.

Now you can go forth and recognise smartassery with confidence.

*On this side of the Atlantic that should contain an r... but the Anglo-phobic
    auto-mod wont allow that.
  2. Joined
    28 Dec '11
    Moves
    10 Dec '13 03:021 edit
    Originally posted by googlefudge
    I think you belong to the school of people that mistakenly believe that "smart"
    and "smartass"* mean the same thing...

No I was not being a smartass... I was simply pointing out your 'evidence' came
    from a site that literally listed why the 'evidence' was wrong right next to it.

If I was being a smartass I would have made fun of you while I did ...[text shortened]... of the Atlantic that should contain an r... but the Anglo-phobic
    auto-mod wont allow that.[/i]
    ok fine but that was not the post of yours i replied from and you know it.

let's settle this over a game of chess best man wins. chess requires logic and sense. and seeing that i'm so stupid you winning the game will be a cakewalk
  3. Joined
    31 May '06
    Moves
    10 Dec '13 10:07
    ok fine but that was not the post of yours i replied from and you know it.

let's settle this over a game of chess best man wins. chess requires logic and sense. and seeing that i'm so stupid you winning the game will be a cakewalk
    Ahh, now you need another lesson in English comprehension.

I said you were being stupid, (or had been stupid) not that you WERE stupid.
    I have no idea how intelligent you are. I just know how dim it is to quote post
    an argument from a site that has a full refutation of the argument right next to it.

I'm also amused that you seem to think that trial by combat is a reasonable way
    to decide who's right.
  4. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    10 Dec '13 14:55
    The idea that the universe came from nothing is more parsimonious than the idea that the universe was created by a creator-which-came-from-nothing.

I agree.
  5. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    10 Dec '13 15:003 edits
    Originally posted by Soothfast
    Uh huh. Usual question: what "caused" the Creator? And if the Creator needs no cause, why can't the laws of physics have no cause?
    Uh huh. Usual question: what "caused" the Creator? And if the Creator needs no cause, why can't the laws of physics have no cause?

Why should I think that laws by themselves should DO anything if space, time, and matter do not exist ?

The event of the beginning of the universe is an act which I think indicates a deciding will. And that to me points to a willing Creator.

Laws, just sit there even if they were somehow eternal.

What does 2 + 2 = 4 DO ?
    What does any law of physics Do but just be there acting upon what is going on ? The beginning of the going on must be initiated some other way.

I don't see how proposed eternal laws could initiate anything.
  6. Joined
    16 Jan '07
    Moves
    10 Dec '13 15:31
    Originally posted by sonship

Why should I think that laws by themselves should DO anything if space, time, and matter do not exist ?

The event of the beginning of the universe is an act which I think indicates a deciding will. And t ...[text shortened]... e initiated some other way.

"The event of the beginning of the universe is an act which I think indicates a deciding will. "

you know what happened at the beginning!!!! wow!!!! nobel prize winging its way in your direction. how did you figure it out???
  7. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    10 Dec '13 15:443 edits
    Originally posted by stellspalfie
    [b]"The event of the beginning of the universe is an act which I think indicates a deciding will. "
    you know what happened at the beginning!!!! wow!!!! nobel prize winging its way in your direction. how did you figure it out???[/b]
    I think that there was an ample amount of humility in the way I phrased what my belief was.

"The event of the beginning of the universe is an act which I think indicates a deciding will. "

I said, I think. I did not say that I know.
  8. Joined
    16 Jan '07
    Moves
    10 Dec '13 16:02
    I think that there was an ample amount of humility in the way I phrased what my belief was.

[b]"The event of the beginning of the universe is an act which I think indicates a deciding will. "

I said, I think. I did not say that I know.[/b]
    how is it possible to say an 'event' indicates something, when you have no idea what the 'event' was. what are you basing your opinion on?
  9. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    10 Dec '13 16:15
    Originally posted by stellspalfie
    how is it possible to say an 'event' indicates something, when you have no idea what the 'event' was. what are you basing your opinion on?
    The event was the creation event, alias the Big Bang.

Space, time, matter are currently believed to have had their beginning in this event.

Do you think the universe always existed ?
    Do you HAVE a position or are you only interested in probing possible problems with mine ?

My position is that a creation event started the existence of the universe. That is what the current opinion of cosmology is today. It may change. And I know there are some alternate viewpoints.

The BGV theorems have argued that any universe in state of expansion had to have had a beginning. Their rationales are mathematically rigorous.
    And while I may not be phrasing it in a way, from memory here, perfectly, I think I have the essence of their findings correct.

This would include any multiverse scenario also, according to the BGV theorems.

Again, do you have a position on this ? Or are you just waiting for something I write you can pounce on as a logical or semantic problem ?
  10. Joined
    16 Jan '07
    Moves
    10 Dec '13 16:45
    The event was the creation event, alias the Big Bang.

Space, time, matter are currently believed to have had their beginning in this event.

Do you think the universe always existed ?
    Do you HAVE a position or are you only interested in probing possible problems with mine ?

My position is that a creation event started the existence of the ...[text shortened]... are you just waiting for something I write you can pounce on as a logical or semantic problem ?
    i dont have a position per'se. the theories we have that describe events before a few milliseconds after the big bang just beg more questions. we cannot define a 'beginning' the big bang could be just another step in process. i remain open minded and interested in all theories put forward.

im happy to accept we do not know and wait for science to figure it out. rather than making conclusive decisions based on 'events' we only have a vague concept of.
  11. Joined
    29 Dec '08
    Moves
    10 Dec '13 16:57
    if you would like to view all http://rationalwiki.org/wiki/Evidence_for_God's_existence#Evidence_in_creation

A Creator is the best explanation for the existence of the universe.
    There is a basic principle that everything that began had a cause; something or someone that caused that thing to begin to exist. From the First and Second Laws of Thermodynamics ...[text shortened]... e parsimonious than the idea that the universe was created by a creator-which-came-from-nothing.
    That's what's called a Science Stopper.

http://rationalwiki.org/wiki/Science_stopper
  12. Standard memberSwissGambit
    Caninus Interruptus
    Moves
    10 Dec '13 17:32
    if you would like to view all http://rationalwiki.org/wiki/Evidence_for_God's_existence#Evidence_in_creation

A Creator is the best explanation for the existence of the universe.
    There is a basic principle that everything that began had a cause; something or someone that caused that thing to begin to exist. From the First and Second Laws of Thermodynamics ...[text shortened]... e parsimonious than the idea that the universe was created by a creator-which-came-from-nothing.
    When you post, I hear 'dude, like, there's this site that totally agrees with my beliefs and shtuff' *toke toke*
  13. Joined
    29 Dec '08
    Moves
    10 Dec '13 17:52

The event of the beginning of the universe is an act which I think indicates a deciding will. And t ...[text shortened]... e initiated some other way.

Replace "laws" by "regularities" and it makes more sense. If nothing exists, and nothing continues to exist, there are no regularities other than that fact. No gravitational constant, no time, no matter, no spatial or temporal extent. And importantly, no causality.
  14. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    10 Dec '13 20:17
    Originally posted by SwissGambit
    When you post, I hear 'dude, like, there's this site that totally agrees with my beliefs and shtuff' *toke toke*
    That's pretty much what made me /facepalm back on page one.
  15. Joined
    31 May '06
    Moves
    10 Dec '13 22:17
    Originally posted by Suzianne
    That's pretty much what made me /facepalm back on page one.
    http://wolfbane15.files.wordpress.com/2013/11/picardfacepalm.jpg

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree