1. Felicific Forest
    Moves
    29 May '05 21:43
    Originally posted by David C
    Why would you think? Surely you are bright enough, and the question is either rhetorical or a thread-bump....but I'll indulge:

Less pre-conceived notions ingrained through years of "righteous" indoctrination.

You must be joking ! I see that as a prejudice on your part.
  2. Joined
    01 Sep '04
    Moves
    29 May '05 22:02
    Originally posted by LemonJello
    http://www.religioustolerance.org/chr_jcpa.htm

i never realized how much of jesus' life, as depicted in the NT, is strikingly similar to previous mythological characters.

anyone have any thoughts on this?
    Oh brother.

What can one say, except cut to the chase? What a load of crap!

I checked out your suggested site and I see how it could appeal to the weak-minded, and especially to those looking to bolster their unbelief. Because Jesus life included 20 of 22 characteristics that are identified by some 'scholar' in the lives of so many previous 'heros', we are supposed to conclude that the life of Jesus was the ultimate fiction? Am I getting this right?

I suggest we look at this the other way 'round. Where do myths come from? People make them up to demonstrate, or teach ideals. If not to their children, then to society at large. This does not detract from the value of the ideal, and it certainly shouldn't devalue anyone who approaches enacting those ideals in his life.

The suggestion that we should dismiss Jesus because He actually met most of man's standards of the ideal hero is ridiculous.
  3. Standard memberDavid C
    Flamenco Sketches
    Spain, in spirit
    Moves
    29 May '05 22:08
    Originally posted by ivanhoe

You must be joking ! I see that as a prejudice on your part.
    That's fine, good sir. You are entitled to your opinion.
  4. Not Kansas
    Moves
    30 May '05 02:05
    http://www.religioustolerance.org/chr_jcpa.htm

i never realized how much of jesus' life, as depicted in the NT, is strikingly similar to previous mythological characters.

anyone have any thoughts on this?
    Yes, Christianity is just another religion. It isn't too surprising that it contains ideas found elsewhere.
    Conservative Christians don't like this idea, but what else is new?
  5. Joined
    24 Apr '05
    Moves
    30 May '05 02:19
    Originally posted by chinking58
    Oh brother.

What can one say, except cut to the chase? [b]What a load of crap!

I checked out your suggested site and I see how it could appeal to the weak-minded, and especially to those looking to bolster their unbelief. Because Jesus life included 20 of 22 characteristics that are identified by some 'scholar' in the lives of so many previ ...[text shortened]... smiss Jesus because He actually met most of man's standards of the ideal hero is ridiculous. [/b]
    we are supposed to conclude that the life of Jesus was the ultimate fiction? Am I getting this right?

the website would have you think as much. however, i don't think anyone should conclude anything based on what is presented. the website just points out some similarities (many, actually). it is supposed to lend credence to the idea that jesus was just a literary character that was based largely on mythological characters. it's just a theory -- no more.

The suggestion that we should dismiss Jesus because He actually met most of man's standards of the ideal hero is ridiculous.

i agree with this. there are many much better reasons to consider dismissing jesus.
  6. Joined
    01 Sep '04
    Moves
    30 May '05 04:55
    [b]we are supposed to conclude that the life of Jesus was the ultimate fiction? Am I getting this right?

the website would have you think as much. however, i don't think anyone should conclude anything based on what is presented. the website just points out some similarities (many, actually). it is supposed to lend credence to the idea that je ...[text shortened]... ous.[/b]

i agree with this. there are many much better reasons to consider dismissing jesus.[/b]
    there are many much better reasons to consider dismissing jesus.
    more oh brother

shall we start with your number one reason?

7. Joined
    01 Oct '04
    Moves
    30 May '05 10:04
    [b]there are many much better reasons to consider dismissing jesus.
    more oh brother

[/b]
    Well for me it would be pretty plain why somebody would dismiss Jesus.

John makes it pretty clear:

John 1:10,11- "He was in the world, and the world was made by him, and the world knew him not. He came unto his own, and his own received him not."

Man hates the light because his works are evil.
  8. Standard memberfrogstomp
    Bruno's Ghost
    In a hot place
    Moves
    30 May '05 10:22
    Originally posted by dj2becker
    Well for me it would be pretty plain why somebody would dismiss Jesus.

John makes it pretty clear:

John 1:10,11- "He was in the world, and the world was made by him, and the world knew him not. He came unto his own, and his own received him not."

Man hates the light because his works are evil.
    So why do you ignore Jesus and stick to your Pauline doctrine?
  9. Standard memberfrogstomp
    Bruno's Ghost
    In a hot place
    Moves
    30 May '05 10:25
    Originally posted by KneverKnight
    Yes, Christianity is just another religion. It isn't too surprising that it contains ideas found elsewhere.
    Conservative Christians don't like this idea, but what else is new?
    The thumpers don't even like ideas ones that came from Christ, since they rarely quote Him, they prefer the OT or Paul.
  10. Standard memberDavid C
    Flamenco Sketches
    Spain, in spirit
    Moves
    30 May '05 14:19
    more oh brother

How about...he never existed? Thanks for playing, o brother.
  11. Joined
    24 Apr '05
    Moves
    31 May '05 12:38
    [b]there are many much better reasons to consider dismissing jesus.
    more oh brother

[/b]
    i am not sure that i would classify my reasons according to a rank. please keep in mind that i said there are many reasons to 'consider', not many reasons to automatically dismiss.

how about we start with an assertion that christianity is a faith-based religion that is full of arbitrary dogma.
  12. Joined
    01 Oct '04
    Moves
    31 May '05 12:56
    Originally posted by frogstomp
    So why do you ignore Jesus and stick to your Pauline doctrine?
    When did I ignore Jesus?

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree