1. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    08 Apr '12 14:29
    http://www.latimes.com/news/nationworld/nation/la-na-obama-religion-20120408,0,355391.story

Extract:
    Few presidents have spoken about their religious faith as often, as deeply or as eloquently as Obama. "We worship an awesome God in the blue states," he declared at the 2004 Democratic convention, and he has sought since then to rebuild ties between the Democratic Party and the world of faith.

Yet no president has faced such sustained hostility over issues of faith, including Republican charges that he is waging a "war on religion," widespread suspicion about the sincerity of his Christian faith, and the persistent legend that he is a practicing Muslim.

More moderate groups have generally seen Obama's record on faith issues in a much more favorable light. But even some of them have been upset by his administration's handling of certain issues, most notably the decision — later modified — to require the insurance plans of many religiously affiliated institutions to cover contraception.

Any thoughts on President Obama's Christian faith and its contribution to his presidency so far?
  2. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    08 Apr '12 15:05
    Originally posted by FMF
    http://www.latimes.com/news/nationworld/nation/la-na-obama-religion-20120408,0,355391.story

Extract:
    [quote]Few presidents have spoken about their religious faith as often, as deeply or as eloquently as Obama. "We worship an awesome God in the blue states," he declared at the 2004 Democratic convention, and he has sought since then to rebuild ties between th ...[text shortened]... ughts on President Obama's Christian faith and its contribution to his presidency so far?
    He can surely speak wonderful words. However, I have yet to see any tangible
    evidence that supports the truth of his faith.
  3. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    08 Apr '12 15:08
    Originally posted by RJHinds
    He can surely speak wonderful words. However, I have yet to see any tangible
    evidence that supports the truth of his faith.
    What "tangible evidence" would he have to provide in order to convince you, for example?
  4. Standard memberRBHILL
    Acts 13:48
    California
    Moves
    08 Apr '12 15:09
    Originally posted by FMF

Extract:
    [quote]Few presidents have spoken about their religious faith as often, as deeply or as eloquently as Obama. "We worship an awesome God in the blue states," he declared at the 2004 Democratic convention, and he has sought since then to rebuild ties between th ...[text shortened]... ughts on President Obama's Christian faith and its contribution to his presidency so far?
    🙄
  5. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    08 Apr '12 15:11
    Originally posted by RBHILL
    🙄
    Any thoughts on the contribution of President Obama's Christian faith to his presidency so far?
  6. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    08 Apr '12 15:14
    Originally posted by FMF

Extract:
    Everyone knows that the majority of voters lean toward the God of Abraham. It would then behoove him or her running for office to also embrace that God.

As a result, the proclaimed faith of every politician should be suspect. Is it their faith or a calculated political move?

What really turned me against Obama in this area was Rev. Wright who was his spiritual counselor for some 20 years. Once it was discovered some of the embarassing positions he held and became public, Obama was forced to distance himself from him as he claimed he did not know his Reverend for some 20 years said such controversial dialogue. So either Obama never went to church and was not that close to the Rev Wright or he is lying is arse off. Either way it does not look good for him.

From my vantage point, the Rev. Wright was a tool to strengthen Obama's political power within the black community. Then when that tool became a weapon to use against him, he tossed it aside.

As for his faith, how should I know? As the good book says, you will know them by thier fruits. So for starters, how does that fruit taste in your mouth FMF?
  7. Standard memberDasa
    Dasa
    Account suspended
    Moves
    08 Apr '12 15:18
    Originally posted by FMF

Extract:
    Politicians must be seen to support every member of the community (an impossible task) but they try anyway - and if Obama did not support religious folk he would loose half the vote.

So words from Obama about faith are taken as covering all bases - and he is most likely going to get some of it wrong and some of it right in the effort.

At the end of the day he is only associating himself with false religion because it is all false - and it is all absolutely meaningless.

However true religion is presented by the Vedas - and is there a man alive in politics who would even know this?

NO.
  8. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    08 Apr '12 15:19
    Originally posted by whodey
    Everyone knows that the majority of voters lean toward the God of Abraham. It would then behoove him or her running for office to also embrace that God.

As a result, the proclaimed faith of every politician should be suspect. Is it their faith or a calculated political move?

What really turned me against Obama in this area was Rev. Wright who was his ...[text shortened]... will know them by thier fruits. So for starters, how does that fruit taste in your mouth FMF?
    But - despite them having political "positions" you disagree with - you believe Obama and Rev. Wright are Christians, right?
  9. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    08 Apr '12 15:22
    Originally posted by FMF
    But - despite them having political "positions" you disagree with - you believe Obama and Rev. Wright are Christians, right?
    As we saw in the time of Christ, Jesus only attacked the religious leaders of his day. Why? It was because these so called religious leaders were only interested in power over the people and not in their spiritual well being.

Because of this, I take pause in observing either of them.
  10. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    08 Apr '12 15:23
    Originally posted by Dasa
    So words from Obama about faith are taken as covering all bases - and he is most likely going to get some of it wrong and some of it right in the effort.
    I would say a certain degree of "covering all bases" is appropriate for an elected leader of a diverse, multi-faith nation like the U.S. I don't think your personal definitions of "true" and "false" have any impact on the nature or practice of Obama's faith.
  11. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    08 Apr '12 15:25
    As we saw in the time of Christ, Jesus only attacked the religious leaders of his day. Why? It was because these so called religious leaders were only interested in power over the people and not in their spiritual well being.
    You think Obama is a "religious leader"?
  12. Joined
    31 May '06
    Moves
    08 Apr '12 15:25
    Everyone knows that the majority of voters lean toward the God of Abraham.
    It would then behove him or her running for office to also embrace that God.
    So why ask or care about a politicians faith?

Your country is supposed to have a secular government that does not legislate for or against
    any religion so that those of any faith position (including none) can be free to follow the religion
    of their choice without persecution.

Demanding that politicians both hold and legislate based on their faith both goes against the
    founding principles of your government but also goes against common sense if you want a free
    and fair society.

If you want to be free to worship how you wish the ONLY way to guarantee that is to ensure that
    your government is secular.

Demanding that politicians hold a particular faith as a litmus test for office is to ask to be lied to and
    to create divisive and bad religious laws.

Which is what is happening.

So my response to the op is that, like almost all present day politicians in America, Obama talks about
    religion too much.
  13. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    08 Apr '12 15:28
    Originally posted by FMF
    You think Obama is a "religious leader"?
    It looks as though Obama used his faith as a political tool just like other religious leaders. The fact that he is not a religious leader is insigificant to me in this regard.
  14. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    08 Apr '12 15:30
    Originally posted by googlefudge
    So why ask or care about a politicians faith?

Your country is supposed to have a secular government that does not legislate for or against
    any religion so that those of any faith position (including none) can be free to follow the religion
    of their choice without persecution.

Demanding that politicians both hold and legislate based on their fai ...[text shortened]... that, like almost all present day politicians in America, Obama talks about
    religion too much.
    Don't come whining to me. I don't make the rules I just observe them. I made no inclination as to whether it was wrong or right, it's just the way it is at this time.
  15. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    08 Apr '12 15:31
    I would say that those Christians who are oppressed for their faith impress the poo out of me, not those who use it as a springboard for political power.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree