1. Standard memberSecondSon
    Sinner
    Saved by grace
    Moves
    04 Feb '19 23:30
    @fmf said
    They are simply rewarded for striving to be loving and good not for being flawless. There is nothing about the God of the OP creating a standard of performance a flawed being was unable to attain.
    That's not what it says in the OP.

"Obey Him and you will have everlasting life." It's a performance based system. If one obeys, then they are rewarded with everlasting life.

The problem is, if they were not flawed they wouldn't need to be commanded to obey, and since they are flawed they cannot rightly obey.

They're doomed. The God of the OP is immoral for creating flawed beings unable to obey, and then requiring obedience for everlasting life.

What a horrible God.
  2. Standard memberSecondSon
    Sinner
    Saved by grace
    Moves
    04 Feb '19 23:34
    @fmf said
    The God of the OP isn't forcing anyone to do its bidding.
    No, he's just dangling a carrot in their faces, and making it impossible to grasp. That's the epitome of immoral.
  3. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    04 Feb '19 23:47
    @secondson said
    No, he's just dangling a carrot in their faces, and making it impossible to grasp. That's the epitome of immoral.
    No, he isn't asking for something "impossible".
  4. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    04 Feb '19 23:48
    @secondson said
    That's not what it says in the OP.

"Obey Him and you will have everlasting life." It's a performance based system. If one obeys, then they are rewarded with everlasting life.
    Obeying him means "striving to be loving and good".
  5. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    04 Feb '19 23:49
    @secondson said
    The problem is, if they were not flawed they wouldn't need to be commanded to obey, and since they are flawed they cannot rightly obey.
    If they are unable to strive to be loving and good then when they die they die.
  6. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    04 Feb '19 23:49
    @secondson said
    The God of the OP is immoral for creating flawed beings unable to obey, and then requiring obedience for everlasting life.
    The God of the OP has not created beings unable to strive to be loving and good.
  7. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    05 Feb '19 00:01
    @secondson said
    What a horrible God.
    Everyone eventually dies. That is the default-setting fact of life. This finite lifetime is all you've got. And yet, with the God of the OP, there is a chance of everlasting life: if one strives to be loving and good. If one strives to love their neighbours as themselves. If one strives not to deceive, damage or coerce. And so on and so forth. What's "horrible" about that?
  8. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    05 Feb '19 00:21
    @fmf said
    The God of the OP has not created beings unable to strive to be loving and good.
    You can strive all you want to under your own power.

Funny how we always come up short.

It's as if we don't have unlimited power to do so at all times.

Crazy.
  9. Standard memberSecondSon
    Sinner
    Saved by grace
    Moves
    05 Feb '19 00:211 edit
    @FMF

Thing is though, is that the real God is immutable, but you keep changing the rules to accommodate the God of the OP. You keep modifying the game plan laid out in the OP.

How could one obey such a fickle God? 🙃
  10. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    05 Feb '19 00:23
    @whodey said
    You can strive all you want to under your own power.

Funny how we always come up short.

It's as if we don't have unlimited power to do so at all times.

Crazy.
    What does this have to do with this thread?
  11. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    05 Feb '19 00:251 edit
    @secondson said
    You keep modifying the game plan laid out in the OP.
    No, I am not. I am simply explaining the OP thought exercise to you. Remember, it was you who admitted about yourself: "I'm a little bit dense sometimes. You should have prefaced the OP indicating it was a hypothetical God/religion."
  12. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    05 Feb '19 00:25
    @secondson said
    How could one obey such a fickle God?
    There is nothing "fickle" about the God of the OP.
  13. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    05 Feb '19 00:27
    @secondson said
    you keep changing the rules to accommodate the God of the OP.
    I am not changing the rules. I am simply explaining the thread topic to you.
  14. Standard memberBigDogg
    Secret RHP coder
    on the payroll
    Moves
    05 Feb '19 05:38
    @fmf said
    The God of the OP isn't forcing anyone to do its bidding.
    I'm not sure about that.

The God of the OP is essentially giving people the death penalty for refusing to obey it. That sounds like coercion to me.
  15. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    05 Feb '19 06:27
    @bigdoggproblem said
    I'm not sure about that.

The God of the OP is essentially giving people the death penalty for refusing to obey it. That sounds like coercion to me.
    Life is finite. People die of old age.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree