1. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    26 Dec '11 02:152 edits
    The myth of Santa Clause is inspired mainly from Saint Nicholas of Myra. Nicholas was a a 4rth century Greek Christian Bishop of Myra, what is now modern day Turkey. Nicholas was famous for his generous gifts to the poor, in particular 3 impoverished young women who he gave enough money to evade the clutches of a life of prostitution. Of course, he was known for his gifts to pretty much everyone, especially to those who were imporverished. He was very religious from an early age and devoted his life entirely to Christianity.

Kudos St. Nick!!!
  2. Subscriberjosephw
    Owner
    Scoffer Mocker
    Moves
    26 Dec '11 04:08
    Originally posted by whodey
    The myth of Santa Clause is inspired mainly from Saint Nicholas of Myra. Nicholas was a a 4rth century Greek Christian Bishop of Myra, what is now modern day Turkey. Nicholas was famous for his generous gifts to the poor, in particular 3 impoverished young women who he gave enough money to evade the clutches of a life of prostitution. Of course, he was know ...[text shortened]... religious from an early age and devoted his life entirely to Christianity.

Kudos St. Nick!!!
    It seems he learned the lesson it is better to give than to receive.
  3. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    26 Dec '11 04:16
    Originally posted by josephw
    It seems he learned the lesson it is better to give than to receive.
    Christmas has a myriad of influences. For example, we kill Christmas trees and place them in our houses due to pagan influences. However, we give to each other and the poor because of Christian influences. As such, I think it right to point this out and celebrate the obvious superior nature of the Christian faith to that of its pagan counterpart.
  4. Standard memberusmc7257
    semper fi
    Moves
    26 Dec '11 04:27
    Christmas has a myriad of influences. For example, we kill Christmas trees and place them in our houses due to pagan influences. However, we give to each other and the poor because of Christian influences. As such, I think it right to point this out and celebrate the obvious superior nature of the Christian faith to that of its pagan counterpart.
    Are you joking?
  5. Subscriberjosephw
    Owner
    Scoffer Mocker
    Moves
    26 Dec '11 04:28
    Originally posted by usmc7257
    Are you joking?
    Don't go there. You'll be sorry.
  6. Standard memberusmc7257
    semper fi
    Moves
    26 Dec '11 04:37
    Why? It's obviously highly ignorant, so I just wanted to know if he was joking.
  7. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    26 Dec '11 04:412 edits
    Are you joking?
    I suppose you are one of those who insists that any Christian influences are either negative in nature or none at best on Western society.

However, consider this quote from Winston Churchill regarding the chivalry of those on board the Titanic who saved the weakest, like the women and children first.

"The Titanic disaster is the prevailing theme here. The story is a good one. The strict observance of the great traditions of the sea towards women and children reflects nothing but honour upon our civilization......The whole episode fascinates me. It shows that in spite of all inequalities and artificialities of our modern life, at the bottom --- tested to its foundations, our civilization is humane. Christian and absolutely democratic. How differently Imperial Rome or Ancient Greece would have settled the problem."

I think he has a point here.
  8. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    26 Dec '11 04:42
    It's too late!!! 😲
  9. Standard memberusmc7257
    semper fi
    Moves
    26 Dec '11 04:49
    I suppose you are one of those who insists that any Christian influences are either negative in nature or none at best on Western society.

However, consider this quote from Winston Churchill regarding the chivalry of those on board the Titanic who saved the weakest, like the women and children first.

"The Titanic disaster is the prevailing theme here. ...[text shortened]... perial Rome or Ancient Greece would have settled the problem."

I think he has a point here.
    I believe Christians have very good contibutions to society, as well as most other religions. They also have bad contributions. I asked if you were joking due to your ignorant post, not me beleiving Christian influence is negaive or positive.
  10. Standard memberwolfgang59
    Quiz Master
    RHP Arms
    Moves
    26 Dec '11 04:53
    All the fun traditions are Pagan.
    Who wants a nativity scene in the corner of the room when you can have holly & ivy?
    And dont threaten me with Father Christmas ... he's Odin in a red suit.
  11. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    26 Dec '11 04:56
    I asked if you were joking due to your ignorant post, not me beleiving Christian influence is negaive or positive.
    Call it 'whodey's forever moving goalposts'. See the Debate Forum.
  12. Standard memberusmc7257
    semper fi
    Moves
    26 Dec '11 05:32
    Originally posted by FMF
    Call it 'whodey's forever moving goalposts'. See the Debate Forum.
    A history of ignorant posts does not excuse the presence of the current one. I did some searching, and I beleive I found the thread you speak of. It's typical Whodey. It appears he knows less about religion than he does politics or sports... 😞
  13. Cape Town
    Moves
    26 Dec '11 06:50
    Originally posted by wolfgang59
    And dont threaten me with Father Christmas ... he's Odin in a red suit.
    I hear the red suit is due to a Coca cola advert.
  14. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    26 Dec '11 14:26
    A history of ignorant posts does not excuse the presence of the current one. I did some searching, and I beleive I found the thread you speak of. It's typical Whodey. It appears he knows less about religion than he does politics or sports... 😞
    Here is an idea, instead of saying someone is stupid for a post how about actually saying why? What is your critique.....if any?
  15. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    26 Dec '11 14:544 edits
    Here is an interesting article.

http://www.hoover.org/publications/policy-review/article/6577

It found that religious people are 25% more likely than secularists to donate money (91% to 66) and 23 points more likely to volunteer (67%-44). The data shows that practicing a religion is MORE important than actual religion itself in predicting charitable behavior.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree