1. Joined
    15 Oct '06
    Moves
    21 Mar '10 18:05
    On another thread, epiphinehas made the following assertion:
    You forget that one of Christ's commandments is also repentance (Matt. 6:12). Therefore, a sinner could be said to be keeping Christ's commandments if he repents, even though he had sinned.

I found it absurd and responded as follows:
    That a sinner repents does not change the fact that he did not keep His commandments. In fact, if he had kept His commandments, there would have been no need for him to repent. In fact, earlier you agreed that when one sins, one is not keeping His commandments. Your point is absurd.

Does anyone else hold the same view as epi? If so, can you explain your reasoning? Epi did not reply to my response in a meaningful manner.
  2. Illinois
    Moves
    21 Mar '10 19:521 edit
    Originally posted by ThinkOfOne
    You forget that one of Christ's commandments is also repentance (Matt. 6:12). Therefore, a sinner could be said to be keeping Christ's commandments if he repents, even though he had sinned.

[quote] That a sinner repents does not ...[text shortened]... f so, can you explain your reasoning? Epi did not reply to my response in a meaningful manner.
    The only absurdities present have been created by your theological error. Hilariously, you're asking people to solve the dilemma created by your own narrow, unsubstantiated reading of scripture; i.e., your assumption that "keeping Christ's commandments" entails sinlessness.

What you should be asking yourself is, Why did Christ teach His disciples to ask forgiveness for their sins daily and as necessary (Matt. 6:12) ?
  3. Joined
    15 Oct '06
    Moves
    21 Mar '10 21:14
    Originally posted by epiphinehas
    The only absurdities present have been created by your theological error. Hilariously, you're asking people to solve the dilemma created by your own narrow, unsubstantiated reading of scripture; i.e., your assumption that "keeping Christ's commandments" entails sinlessness.

What you should be asking yourself is, Why did Christ teach His disciples to ask forgiveness for their sins daily and as necessary (Matt. 6:12) ?
    Your post is really off topic.

However, you seem to hold both of the following as true:
    1) When one sins, one is not keeping the commandments of Jesus.

2) One can sin and still have kept the commandments of Jesus.

I, for one, find these two to be irreconcilable and thus absurd.

I gather from your post that you do not find it absurd. It's an interesting position.
  4. Subscriberjosephw
    Owner
    Scoffer Mocker
    Moves
    22 Mar '10 04:55

[quote] That a sinner repents does not ...[text shortened]... f so, can you explain your reasoning? Epi did not reply to my response in a meaningful manner.
    "Does anyone else hold the same view as epi?"

Yes, probably on about 90% of what is taught by the Bible. And certainly on 100% of the essentials. (we know what those things are)

ToO, I've been reading you for over four years now, and I still don't know how to talk to you about this stuff without it turning into a verbal duel. I don't want to do that with you anymore.

But I would really like to understand how you arrive at your conclusion about repentance and sinlessness. The thing is though, we are never going to be able to do that until we first hurdle some other obstacles.
  5. Joined
    15 Oct '06
    Moves
    22 Mar '10 16:171 edit
    Originally posted by josephw
    [b]"Does anyone else hold the same view as epi?"

Yes, probably on about 90% of what is taught by the Bible. And certainly on 100% of the essentials. (we know what those things are)

ToO, I've been reading you for over four years now, and I still don't know how to talk to you about this stuff without it turning into a verbal duel. I don't want to d ...[text shortened]... hough, we are never going to be able to do that until we first hurdle some other obstacles.[/b]
    You seem to have taken my question out of context and responded to it as if it were about epi's beliefs in general rather than about this specific assertion made by epi:

Please reread my OP and respond to it accordingly.
  6. Subscriberjosephw
    Owner
    Scoffer Mocker
    Moves
    24 Mar '10 02:56
    You seem to have taken my question out of context and responded to it as if it were about epi's beliefs in general rather than about this specific assertion made by epi:

Please reread my OP and respond to it accordingly.
    "Please reread my OP and respond to it accordingly."

Why?

My reply was primarily directed toward your beliefs and not about the argument between you or anyone else.

Now, as I said in my previous post, I can't see arguing over the question of whether or not one can quit sinning can produce any fruit until and unless we first hurdle some other obstacles.
  7. Joined
    15 Oct '06
    Moves
    24 Mar '10 03:301 edit
    [b]"Please reread my OP and respond to it accordingly."

Why?

My reply was primarily directed toward your beliefs and not about the argument between you or anyone else.

Now, as I said in my previous post, I can't see arguing over the question of whether or not one can quit sinning can produce any fruit until and unless we first hurdle some other obstacles.[/b]
    Are you saying that your post was intended to be completely off-topic even though it quoted from the OP?

If so, instead of hijacking this thread, how about starting another one? If you do, it'll really help if you clearly state your position and objective.
  8. Subscriberjosephw
    Owner
    Scoffer Mocker
    Moves
    24 Mar '10 12:42
    Are you saying that your post was intended to be completely off-topic even though it quoted from the OP?

If so, instead of hijacking this thread, how about starting another one? If you do, it'll really help if you clearly state your position and objective.
    Please ToO! Since when has any thread in this forum ever stayed on topic?
  9. Joined
    15 Oct '06
    Moves
    24 Mar '10 14:07
    Please ToO! Since when has any thread in this forum ever stayed on topic?
    And so it goes...

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree