1. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    31 Jul '14 18:451 edit
    Originally posted by twhitehead
    I realize from that chart that one possible factor is that Asian students often do better at school (for cultural reasons) and thus whatever religion (or lack thereof) is prevalent amoungst that community will get a boost on the education chart.
    Now your talk'in.

So lets look at the reasons why things are the way they are rather than being afraid to see how things are with the fear that it may offend someone.

Off the top of my head, I would say that those who attend college are less religious than those who to not attend. I know because I have been there myself, it is a culture steeped in secularism with constant bashing of faith in favor of reason and the facts.

Does this then have more to do with the culture of academia verses the intelligence levels? Those who are in academia should do much better on quizzes and tests, wouldn't you agree?
  2. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    31 Jul '14 19:081 edit
    Originally posted by whodey
    You simply don't give yourself enough credit. You know how infinitely better you are than those of faith. You have said it time and again on these forums. Time and again those of faith are accused of supporting genocide and other various crimes against humanity because they side with the God of the Bible.

So get out there and thrust your chest out and h ...[text shortened]... d high knowing that your own righteousness, and now intelligence, is superior to those of faith.
    I never said any such thing, the most I have said is the bible and the three Abrahamic religions are 100% made up by men, no god needed. I never claimed to be any smarter than Christians as a group. Certain individuals, maybe🙂 But not just because I don't believe in your god. Besides, I am not atheist. I think atheists are more right than theists but I am holding my options open, that makes me agnostic. I basically don't give a rats ass one way or the other but I also don't call myself superior because of it. Freed from religious OCD but that's about it.

What I ABSOLUTELY hate is people using religion as an excuse to kill, Muslims forcing people to become Muslim on pain of death, honor killings, killing for apostasy, and it is not just confined to Islam, Christians, Hindu's, Buddhists, Jews, they all have their dark side.

That's mainly why I would like to establish a non religious colony, preferably on a planet a thousand light years from Earth where all you theist asssholes can kill each other all day and I don't have to hear about it, see it on cable or the net. I want that crap out of my life completely.
  3. Cape Town
    Moves
    31 Jul '14 19:25
    ... with constant bashing of faith in favor of reason and the facts.
    Interesting to see that you do not consider whatever people to have faith in to be factual.

Does this then have more to do with the culture of academia verses the intelligence levels? Those who are in academia should do much better on quizzes and tests, wouldn't you agree?
    I am not sure if you are talking about teachers or students. But I generally agree that people in academia are likely to have a culture that favours logic over faith whereas people with identical IQ and education in other careers are less likely to have such a culture.
  4. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    31 Jul '14 22:06
    Originally posted by sonhouse
    [That's mainly why I would like to establish a non religious colony, preferably on a planet a thousand light years from Earth where all you theist asssholes can kill each other all day and I don't have to hear about it, see it on cable or the net. I want that crap out of my life completely.[/b]
    Be sure to send Stalin and Mao an invitation. 😵
  5. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    31 Jul '14 22:09
    Originally posted by twhitehead
    [b]Interesting to see that you do not consider whatever people to have faith in to be factual.
    You are putting words in my mouth.

There is evidence, but not proof for a persons faith.

In short, what seems plausible to us can be accepted in faith.

If the Bible offers no evidence of truth, why then does Biblical Archaeology exist?
  6. Standard memberDeepThought
    Losing the Thread
    Quarantined World
    Moves
    31 Jul '14 22:53
    I never said any such thing, the most I have said is the bible and the three Abrahamic religions are 100% made up by men, no god needed. I never claimed to be any smarter than Christians as a group. Certain individuals, maybe🙂 But not just because I don't believe in your god. Besides, I am not atheist. I think atheists are more right than theists but I am ...[text shortened]... t have to hear about it, see it on cable or the net. I want that crap out of my life completely.
    Well yes, but I like it here on earth, can't we send all the fundamentalists to the planet thousands of lightyears away to fight it out to their hearts content there and leave us our beautiful planet to enjoy in peace?
  7. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    01 Aug '14 01:04
    Originally posted by DeepThought
    Well yes, but I like it here on earth, can't we send all the fundamentalists to the planet thousands of lightyears away to fight it out to their hearts content there and leave us our beautiful planet to enjoy in peace?
    That would be more expensive but worth it🙂
  8. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    01 Aug '14 03:54
    That would be more expensive but worth it🙂
    If there is no God then religion is purely a manmade construct.

If religion is purely a manmade construct, then religion was born from the hearts of men.

If it was born from the hearts of men, leaving this planet does nothing to help your situation.
  9. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    01 Aug '14 10:251 edit
    If there is no God then religion is purely a manmade construct.

If religion is purely a manmade construct, then religion was born from the hearts of men.

If it was born from the hearts of men, leaving this planet does nothing to help your situation.
    No but I can get away from thousands of years of religious repression that has already been going on. If you think not, just look at such fun parties as the Crusades or the inquisitions or the Muslims killing school boys for daring to want an education or honor killings or Christians killing abortion doctors, It's still here and it is still here now as we speak. THAT we could avoid.

And your logic is impeccable, religion is 100% man made. No god needed. At best all we do is say to ourselves, what would a god do in this situation and try to come up with rules that help out. But we do that on our own.

Look at the last century where atrocity after atrocity happened, a hundred million or more killed in secular and religious warfare and pogroms.

One thing clear to me, if there was a god out there, it would have come down here and said, ENOUGH ALREADY, enough with this wholesale killing. But NO, nothing like that happened, the despots got away with millions of deaths unimpeded.

That alone tells me if there is a god, it is not one I wish to know and will do anything in my power to escape.
  10. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    01 Aug '14 11:062 edits
    No but I can get away from thousands of years of religious repression that has already been going on. If you think not, just look at such fun parties as the Crusades or the inquisitions or the Muslims killing school boys for daring to want an education or honor killings or Christians killing abortion doctors, It's still here and it is still here now as we s ...[text shortened]... s me if there is a god, it is not one I wish to know and will do anything in my power to escape.
    Christianity went awry when Constantine high jacked the religion. Before that time Christianity spread like wild fire while being thrown to lions by statists like Nero. After Constantine the religion was turned into a reason to kill. Thanks to Constantine, the religion had been successfully converted to a statist religion by using it as a conquest tool and a tool to control and oppress people.

Incidentally, Constantine was said to have converted to Christianity on his death bed. I guess he figured he had nothing to lose at on his death bed. For him, the religion was more of a tool for conquest than belief.

As for Islam, the religion has always been used to conquer and kill. There are no scriptures where Mohammad rebuffs his followers from taking out swords to righteously defend him like we see Jesus doing before going to the cross. In fact, it is quite the opposite. Mohammad was notorious for converting with the sword, so how can his followers do anything but the same?
  11. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    01 Aug '14 11:281 edit
    Christianity went awry when Constantine high jacked the religion. Before that time Christianity spread like wild fire while being thrown to lions by statists like Nero. After Constantine the religion was turned into a reason to kill. Thanks to Constantine, the religion had been successfully converted to a statist religion by using it as a conquest tool and ...[text shortened]... was notorious for converting with the sword, so how can his followers do anything but the same?
    All well and good but there is a noticeable lack of the appearance of a god and humanity needs help NOW not a thousand or so years whenever you figure the end days thing is supposed to happen. In the bible, they thought that end days things was a couple weeks away and now 2000 years later we STILL think it's just a month away, just like the quest for fusion energy. My use of "we" just means theists.
  12. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    02 Aug '14 13:23
    All well and good but there is a noticeable lack of the appearance of a god and humanity needs help NOW not a thousand or so years whenever you figure the end days thing is supposed to happen. In the bible, they thought that end days things was a couple weeks away and now 2000 years later we STILL think it's just a month away, just like the quest for fusion energy. My use of "we" just means theists.
    Your knowledge of Bible theology is mind blowing, but I guess that's what happens when you are provided with a superior intellect.
  13. Standard memberAgerg
    The 'edit'or
    converging to it
    Moves
    02 Aug '14 15:112 edits
    You are putting words in my mouth.

There is evidence, but not proof for a persons faith.

In short, what seems plausible to us can be accepted in faith.

If the Bible offers no evidence of truth, why then does Biblical Archaeology exist?
    So let me try and get my head around whodey logic... A collection of people searching for evidence of supernatural events in the past implies evidence of the supernatural exists!?
  14. Cape Town
    Moves
    02 Aug '14 15:58
    Originally posted by Agerg
    So let me try and get my head around whodey logic...
    Good luck with that.
  15. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    06 Aug '14 16:541 edit
    Your knowledge of Bible theology is mind blowing, but I guess that's what happens when you are provided with a superior intellect.
    From your JC:

Assuredly, I say to you, there are some standing here who shall not taste death till they see the Son of Man coming in His kingdom." Matthew 16:27-28

Sounds like it was supposed to be pretty soon to me. Not 2000 + years.

Unless he was saying there were some hidden immortals floating around.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree