1. Joined
    18 Feb '06
    Moves
    19 Feb '06 23:12
    i wonder if it is the end of the world are the church why do people worry6 about it so much.
  2. Joined
    05 Jan '04
    Moves
    19 Feb '06 23:14
    Can we get a translator in here, please?
  3. Subscriberwidget
    NowYouSeeIt
    NowYouDon't
    Moves
    19 Feb '06 23:33
    Originally posted by darvlay
    Can we get a translator in here, please?
    You don't worry6, Darv? 😕
  4. Joined
    05 Jan '04
    Moves
    19 Feb '06 23:35
    Originally posted by widget
    You don't worry6, Darv? 😕
    Whoa. For a second there I thought you were the translator. LOL. We all know how ridiculous that would be! 😉
  5. Subscriberwidget
    NowYouSeeIt
    NowYouDon't
    Moves
    20 Feb '06 00:24
    Originally posted by darvlay
    Whoa. For a second there I thought you were the translator. LOL. We all know how ridiculous that would be! 😉
    I can speak in tongues, tho, Darvy 😛 And that's without sticking them in your ear!

"William Samarin has written: "When the full apparatus of linguistic science comes to bear on glossolalia, this turns out to be only a facade of language — although at times a very good one indeed. For when we comprehend what language is, we must conclude that no glossa, no matter how well constructed, is a specimen of human language, because it is neither internally organized nor systematically related to the world man perceives."
  6. Unknown Territories
    Moves
    20 Feb '06 03:08
    I can speak in tongues, tho, Darvy 😛 And that's [b]without sticking them in your ear!

"William Samarin has written: "When the full apparatus of linguistic science comes to bear on glossolalia, this turns out to be only a facade of language — although at times a very good one indeed. For when we comprehend what language is, we must conclude that no g ...[text shortened]... e it is neither internally organized nor systematically related to the world man perceives."[/b]
    And we think Bill is so smart for having come up with that cogent thought. Moreover, we thank him for having written it down, too.
  7. Subscriberwidget
    NowYouSeeIt
    NowYouDon't
    Moves
    20 Feb '06 03:43
    Originally posted by FreakyKBH
    And we think Bill is so smart for having come up with that cogent thought. Moreover, we thank him for having written it down, too.
    Easy for you to say, gabble, gabble..... :'(
  8. Unknown Territories
    Moves
    20 Feb '06 03:47
    Easy for you to say, gabble, gabble..... :'(
    Even easier to type. Sorry you missed the point, but what did your post have to do with the first (mostly) incomprehensible post, in an entirely enigmatic thread?
  9. Subscriberwidget
    NowYouSeeIt
    NowYouDon't
    Moves
    20 Feb '06 13:411 edit
    😀 Oh alright Freaky... 😛 Boring, boring boring, but....

The original 'enigmatic' post (...in this Spirituality Forum) was badly garbled by haste or simple ignorance - perhaps a theme will develop here? Maybe you can contribute?

Darvy's cheeky answer called for a translator and I offered my services tongue-in-cheekishly, suspecting that there was an opportunity for some levity here in this otherwise often promising but generally banal and literal Forum.

"Glossolalia" is the generally misunderstood (punny, here, depending on p.o.v...) act of speaking in tongues, uttering gibberish, vocalising nonsensical sounds and glottal stops. It has religious adherents - mostly Pentecostal - so it's not completely out of place in this Spiritual Forum.

😛 "Taking it in the ear" is a colloquial ripost referring to an act with vaguely sexual connotations that could be construed as interfering with the ability to hear clearly, thus contributing to misunderstanding gibberish.

Your barely veiled sarcastic dismissal of Samarin's deliberate and serious attempt to understand the phenomenon of glossolalia is neither internally organized nor systematically related to the issue of "111 the end hahah"... Speak up or carry a bigger stick, Freaky 🙄
  10. Unknown Territories
    Moves
    20 Feb '06 14:26
    The original 'enigmatic' post (...in this Spirituality Forum) was badly garbled by haste or simple ignorance - perhaps a theme will develop here? Maybe you can contribute?
    Sorry: must have missed the parenthetical departure from the original thread. For dimwits such as me, you have to be punctiliously obvious, I'm afraid. I miss the subtle colors a lot, it seems, as I am so drawn to the black-and-white.

"Glossolalia" is the generally misunderstood (punny, here, depending on p.o.v...) act of speaking in tongues, uttering gibberish, vocalising nonsensical sounds and glottal stops.
    I am familiar with the same.

"Taking it in the ear" is a colloquial ripost referring to an act with vaguely sexual connotations that could be construed as interfering with the ability to hear clearly, thus contributing to misunderstanding gibberish.
    As above, I am familiar with this term, as well. Also, like above, I have not experienced this phenomenon. Sounds like it might hurt a little. Any words from the wise on this one?

Your barely veiled sarcastic dismissal of Samarin's deliberate and serious attempt to understand the phenomenon of glossolalia is neither internally organized nor systematically related to the issue of "111 the end hahah"... Speak up or carry a bigger stick, Freaky 🙄
    My veiling requires serious repair, post haste. While a dismissal did take place, it was not directed toward hapless Bill. Have you any other guesses?
    You appear to consistenly post ideas without link or relation to any surrounding posts. Again, my grasp of the subtle is challenged; it may very well be that you are a genius of counter-intuitiveness. Should this be the case, I humbly withdraw my assertions otherwise.
  11. Joined
    18 Feb '06
    Moves
    20 Feb '06 20:41
    saw it on the history channel why are people trying to figure out when the end of the wrold is coming what the the big deal when it comes it comes
  12. Joined
    05 Jan '04
    Moves
    20 Feb '06 21:03
    Originally posted by nineball2000
    saw it on the history channel why are people trying to figure out when the end of the wrold is coming what the the big deal when it comes it comes
    Are you talking about the Rapture/Armageddon? What do you mean "the end of the world" ? Start making sense, boy.
  13. Joined
    12 Jun '05
    Moves
    20 Feb '06 21:48
    Originally posted by nineball2000
    what the the big deal
    With the end of the world?

I guess some people might see that as a bad thing.
  14. Subscriberwidget
    NowYouSeeIt
    NowYouDon't
    Moves
    21 Feb '06 00:05
    Some people wouldn't notice 😉 They've been clinically brain-dead for years.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree