1. Joined
    31 May '06
    Moves
    08 Dec '13 02:04
    Originally posted by apathist
    But you brush aside the mystery, rather than address it. All sorts of physical workings go on all the time, without producing anything like symphonies or minds! Your solution is a complete non-answer. Btw, pretty sure symphonies exist only in, um, a mind. Some people listen to nature, wind blowing, insects buzzing, water gurgling, and hear symphonies.
    I don't 'brush aside' 'the mystery'.

However when there is something we don't [yet] understand I simply
    say "we don't [yet] understand".

I don't pretend the mystery has magical powers just because we don't
    understand it yet.

But you brush aside the mystery, rather than address it. All sorts of
    physical workings go on all the time, without producing anything like
    symphonies or minds!

You are surprised that highly complex entities/outcomes occur at a lower
    frequency than simple ones?
  2. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    10 Dec '13 02:09
    Originally posted by apathist
    I'd like to hear from anyone with anything to say about pantheism, whether for, against, or sideways.

While I'm comfortable, given my society and culture, being labeled an atheist, I do believe there is more going on than just atoms bouncing around (physics cannot explain mind). I find it wonderful that a bunch of cells (especially neuron cells) can giv ...[text shortened]... minds. Are you not a god to the cells of your body? Who knows how many levels of gods there are?
    How would your idea of pantheism change if in fact, say, in 30 or 50 years, science advances enough to precisely peg what is mind?

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree