1. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    22 Apr '16 19:382 edits
    https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/worldviews/wp/2016/04/22/an-indian-spiritual-guru-tried-to-start-peace-talks-with-isis-this-is-how-they-responded/

Sri Sri Ravi Shankar, an Indian guru known best for founding the Art of Living foundation, which has a vast global community of followers, claims to have attempted to start peace talks with the militants of the Islamic State. But his efforts proved futile.

"I tried to initiate peace talks with the ISIS recently but they sent me a photograph of a beheaded body of a man," he told Indian media, using another name for the extremist organization. "Thus, my effort for a peace dialogue with the ISIS ended."

The advocate for meditation and harmony offered this frank conclusion: "I think the ISIS does not want any peace talks. Hence, they should be dealt with militarily."

It's not clear when this overture was made or to whom — whether actual militants in Iraq and Syria or proxies elsewhere. According to ANI news agency, Shankar said he had a phone call where he proffered the failed invitation for dialogue.

The guru was speaking to media in Agartala, a city in India's remote and restive northeast, which has been the site of its own longstanding ethnic insurgencies. In recent years, he has sought to spread his philosophy of mindfulness and inner spirituality to conflict zones, including in Iraq, site of some of the worst ravages of the Islamic State.

[Lindsay Lohan, Winston Churchill and a long history of flirting with Islam]

In 2014, he visited refugee camps in northern Iraq that were home to many Yazidis, members of a minority sect deemed heretical by the Islamic State. Their brutalization at the hands of the jihadists has been likened to genocide by the international community.

A statement on the guru's website said his Iraq peace efforts were part of a "two-pronged mission: providing stress relief and disaster management techniques to overcome personal stress and helping people pick up their lives through service initiatives."
  2. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    22 Apr '16 20:25
    Originally posted by whodey
    https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/worldviews/wp/2016/04/22/an-indian-spiritual-guru-tried-to-start-peace-talks-with-isis-this-is-how-they-responded/

Sri Sri Ravi Shankar, an Indian guru known best for founding the Art of Living foundation, which has a vast global community of followers, claims to have attempted to start peace talks with the militants of ...[text shortened]... to overcome personal stress and helping people pick up their lives through service initiatives."
    Why don't you send Donald to convince them?
  3. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    23 Apr '16 10:11
    Originally posted by divegeester
    Why don't you send Donald to convince them?
    Is there possible negotiation with an entity sworn to your destruction and refusing to engage in peace talks?
  4. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    23 Apr '16 10:14
    Is there possible negotiation with an entity sworn to your destruction and refusing to engage in peace talks?
    No. But then again I wasn't being in the slightest bit serious about sending Donald.
  5. Standard memberDeepThought
    Losing the Thread
    Quarantined World
    Moves
    23 Apr '16 12:15

Sri Sri Ravi Shankar, an Indian guru known best for founding the Art of Living foundation, which has a vast global community of followers, claims to have attempted to start peace talks with the militants of ...[text shortened]... to overcome personal stress and helping people pick up their lives through service initiatives."
    Should this not be in debates? I don't think there's any surprise in ISIS's response, assuming all this is true.
  6. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    23 Apr '16 12:412 edits
    Originally posted by DeepThought
    Should this not be in debates? I don't think there's any surprise in ISIS's response, assuming all this is true.
    Well this involves religion.

It involves a war that is progressing between Hindus and Muslims.

It involves not only the theology of both religions, it also involves how all religions deal with groups such as ISIS who seem to be hell bent upon the destruction of others.
  7. Germany
    Moves
    23 Apr '16 12:58
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Good_Friday_Agreement

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree