1. Standard memberBosse de Nage
    Zellulärer Automat
    Spiel des Lebens
    Moves
    19 Aug '05 18:23
    Originally posted by 3kaji

Or I may have missed your point here... Or perhaps this is merely an insult? O_o
    Simply something a minister said once in church. I thought it quite funny. I don't expect everyone to.
  2. Joined
    01 Oct '04
    Moves
    19 Aug '05 18:41
    Originally posted by TheSkipper

Turning Lot's wife into a pillar of salt because she turned around to look at the town she was told to leave. Sure she was told not to look back but this clearly demonstrates not only god's anger problem but also suggests he has a problem with insecurity. Incidently, Lot's wife had looked back to see the destruction god was exacting on her town of Sodom/Gomorrah...he killed everyone in town except Lot's family...except, except Lot's wife.

Don't you think that in the case of Lot's wife, God was showing how high the price of disobedience was? Don't you think that Lot's wife was longing back for the things of the city and deserved the punishment beacause she was longing back for the evil things in the city which God was destroying?

Then, one of my favs, God does his psychotic game show host routine and convinces Abraham to kill his son Isaac as a burnt offering. Just before Abraham slices his own son's throat god stops him and tells him he was just kidding...use a goat instead.

In the case of Abraham and Isaac, don't you think God was testing Abraham's faith? Don't you think that God was just testing him to see if he would be obedient? Don't you think that the whole story was simbolic of what was to happen later in the new testament? I mean that Christ who is the 'lamb of God' would die in our place on the cross in the same way as the ram was slaughtered in Isaac's place?
  3. Gangster Land
    Moves
    19 Aug '05 18:524 edits
    Originally posted by dj2becker

Turning Lot's wife into a pillar of salt because she turned around to look at the town she was told to leave. Sure she was told not to look back but this clearly demonstrates not only god's anger problem but also suggests he has a problem with insecurity. Incidently, Lot's wife had looked back to see the de ould die in our place on the cross in the same way as the ram was slaughtered in Isaac's place?
    What a lovely lesson. If you disobey God HE WILL KILL YOU. Here I was thinking hell was bad enough but no, we also run the risk of having our time here on earth cut short by extremely high sodium levels. As for her longing for evil things in the city...your guess is as good as mine as the Bible makes no mention of her state of mind.

You know, if God ever wanted to test my faith by telling me I had to kill my son...I would simply tell him his is not deserving of my respect, much less my faith. What..."Thou shalt not kill, unless I tell you to?" wtf, man?

TheSkipper
  4. Standard memberBosse de Nage
    Zellulärer Automat
    Spiel des Lebens
    Moves
    19 Aug '05 18:58
    What..."Thou shalt not kill, unless I tell you to?" wtf, man?

TheSkipper
    Quite.

Lot and Sodom go hand in hand...Try this pink link (posted in another thread but seems appropriate here too):

http://www.geocities.com/rainbowchristian1225/GENESIS.html

It's about how the Bible doesn't really talk about homosexuality at all...
  5. Joined
    01 Oct '04
    Moves
    19 Aug '05 19:15
    What a lovely lesson. If you disobey God HE WILL KILL YOU. Here I was thinking hell was bad enough but no, we also run the risk of having our time here on earth cut short by extremely high sodium levels. As for her longing for evil things in the city...your guess is as good as mine as the Bible makes no mention of her state of mind.

You know, if God ...[text shortened]... ch less my faith. What..."Thou shalt not kill, unless I tell you to?" wtf, man?

TheSkipper
    Luke 17:32 Remember Lot's wife. 33 Whosoever shall seek to save his life shall lose it; and whosoever shall lose his life shall preserve it.

Luke 14:26 - If any man come to me, and hate not his father, and mother, and wife, and children, and brethren, and sisters, yea, and his own life also, he cannot be my disciple.

Hebrews 11:6 - But without faith it is impossible to please him: for he that cometh to God must believe that he is, and that he is a rewarder of them that diligently seek him.
  6. Joined
    01 Oct '04
    Moves
    19 Aug '05 19:27
    Originally posted by Bosse de Nage
    Quite.

Lot and Sodom go hand in hand...Try this pink link (posted in another thread but seems appropriate here too):

http://www.geocities.com/rainbowchristian1225/GENESIS.html

It's about how the Bible doesn't really talk about homosexuality at all...
    For an alternative reference check out: www.homosexuality.co.za
  7. Gangster Land
    Moves
    19 Aug '05 19:341 edit
    Luke 17:32 Remember Lot's wife. 33 Whosoever shall seek to save his life shall lose it; and whosoever shall lose his life shall preserve it.

Luke 14:26 - If any man come to me, and hate not his father, and mother, and wife, and children, and brethren, and sisters, yea, and his own life also, he cannot be my disciple.

Hebrews 11:6 - But without fait ...[text shortened]... meth to God must believe that he is, and that he is a rewarder of them that diligently seek him.
    I'm not sure why anyone, including Jesus, would assume that Lot's wife was trying to save her life by looking back. For one thing, she 'looked' back not turned back. For another, 'back' is where the fire and brimstone was happening...it seems to me that turning back towards God's holy slaughter is hardly an example of someone trying to save their life.

When Jesus spoke in Luke 14:26 about hating everyone he wanted people to understand that 'compared' to God we should hate our father, mother...etc etc Not that we should literally hate them. In other words, when our family stands in competition with God there should be no competition because compared to God we hate our family. In the case of Abraham attempting to kill his son God is solely responsible for setting up the competition for Abraham's love. God, in his infinite insecurity, wanted to make sure Abraham loved him more than he loved his own son. It is sick, and altogether a ridiculous length to go to for some validation. It is these kinds of stories that prove to me that plenty of human ideas found their way into the supposedly inerant word of God. These are not the actions of an all knowing, caring and seeing God. These are the actions of shallow, insecure and cruel humans.

As far as your Hebrews passage goes...it is my dillegence in seeking him that originally caused and continues to cause me to question my faith. Trust me, all this is much easier to swallow if you scrap the dilligence and just believe what you are told in Sunday School.

TheSkipper
  8. Gangster Land
    Moves
    19 Aug '05 19:42
    For an alternative reference check out: www.homosexuality.co.za
    No, don't go there. It is yet another hate filled diatribe against homosexuals filled with poor research and blatant lies. Here is a quote...

"The innate destructive nature of homosexuality makes loving,
    monogamous homosexual relations nothing more than an
    illusion."

My friends who have been in a loving, monogamous homosexual relationship for over 15 years will be suprised to learn of this! Good grief.

TheSkipper
  9. Standard memberfrogstomp
    Bruno's Ghost
    In a hot place
    Moves
    19 Aug '05 19:46

Hebrews 11:6 - But without fait ...[text shortened]... meth to God must believe that he is, and that he is a rewarder of them that diligently seek him.
    Gospel of Thomas

101) <Jesus said,> "Whoever does not hate his father and his mother as I do cannot become a disciple to Me. And whoever does [not] love his father and his mother as I do cannot become a [disciple] to Me. For My mother [gave me falsehood], but [My] true [Mother] gave me life."

bear in mind that the word "falsehood" is probably in the sense of the "hylic" Error .i.e matter.
  10. Joined
    01 Oct '04
    Moves
    19 Aug '05 19:48
    I'm not sure why anyone, including Jesus, would assume that Lot's wife was trying to save her life by looking back. For one thing, she 'looked' back not turned back. For another, 'back' is where the fire and brimstone was happening...it seems to me that turning back towards God's holy slaughter is hardly an example of someone trying to save their ...[text shortened]... w if you scrap the dilligence and just believe what you are told in Sunday School.

TheSkipper
    The way I see it, God is a jeasous God. However, He has a Godly jealousy which is unlike our human jealousy. He wishes that He be first in our lives. I can't see this as insecurity though...
  11. Joined
    01 Oct '04
    Moves
    19 Aug '05 19:50
    No, don't go there. It is yet another hate filled diatribe against homosexuals filled with poor research and blatant lies. Here is a quote...

"The innate destructive nature of homosexuality makes loving,
    monogamous homosexual relations nothing more than an
    illusion."

My friends who have been in a loving, monogamous homosexual relationship for over 15 years will be suprised to learn of this! Good grief.

TheSkipper
    How sure are you that your friends aren't an exception to the rule?
  12. Joined
    01 Oct '04
    Moves
    19 Aug '05 19:51
    Originally posted by frogstomp
    Gospel of Thomas

101) <Jesus said,> "Whoever does not hate his father and his mother as I do cannot become a disciple to Me. And whoever does [not] love his father and his mother as I do cannot become a [disciple] to Me. For My mother [gave me falsehood], but [My] true [Mother] gave me life."

bear in mind that the word "falsehood" is probably in the sense of the "hylic" Error .i.e matter.
    Gospel of Thomas...Gospel of Thomas... Hey I can't find it in my Bible... Which Bible do you have?
  13. Standard memberfrogstomp
    Bruno's Ghost
    In a hot place
    Moves
    19 Aug '05 19:55
    Gospel of Thomas...Gospel of Thomas... Hey I can't find it in my Bible... Which Bible do you have?
    Christ's
  14. Joined
    01 Oct '04
    Moves
    19 Aug '05 19:581 edit
    Originally posted by frogstomp
    Christ's
    Was Thomas the author of Christ's Bible !!?? Wow! Never knew that...
  15. Gangster Land
    Moves
    19 Aug '05 20:05
    How sure are you that your friends aren't an exception to the rule?
    You know dj2, I think you take a lot of abuse in these forums that you honestly don't deserve. I respect you for having the strength of your convictions, as you understand them, at least. All in all you are a nice kid and I would be happy to go grab a bite to eat with you or tip a glass of beer together (in a couple of years). It is for these reasons that I will not berate you for your last statement. Suffice to say, they are not the exception to the rule. When you have more life experience, and if you allow yourself the freedom to experience it from many perspectives you also will know of many more happy and healthy homosexual relationships.

TheSkipper

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree