1. Joined
    02 Aug '06
    Moves
    17 Jul '12 17:004 edits
    Originally posted by AThousandYoung
    I seem to see a lot of parallels between Socrates as portrayed by Plato at his trial and Buddhist ideas.

Both embrace the abandonment of physical and impulsive pleasures and egocentrism in favor of quietness of mind and cheerful acceptance of reality.

Any thoughts?
    Socrates' commitment to the community seemed to be absolute. My impression of reading how he submitted to his execution was that it was that he argued that it was reasonable thing to do. This was to the dispair of his friends who plotted and pleaded for him not to die. Am I recalling it right ?

His method, according to Plato, was to continue to ask his would be pursuaders question after question to show them that killing himself was the appropriate thing to do, for society had rejected his wisdom.

Am I right ? As a servant of society, then, he ought to drink the poison and die. I recall one of the debaters running out of the room in tears because they could not pursuade Sacrates to escape.

That is pretty much what I mostly remember about reading of Socrates' trial.

How does it relate to Buddhist ideas ? I don't know yet, or if it does.
  2. Joined
    29 Dec '08
    Moves
    17 Jul '12 21:041 edit
    Originally posted by Taoman
    Acceptance is still part of a duality. The "Tathagarta" went beyond acceptance and rejection. The anatman idea is not about acceptance and rejection of a self. It is beyond such.

Koan:

When Banzan was walking through a market he overheard a conversation between a butcher and his customer.

"Give me the best piece of meat you have," said the customer. re any piece of meat that is not the best."

At these words Banzan became enlightened.
    All things that are presented, comprise a perfect expression of what is.

At least, this was my attitude when I worked in my dad's meat market. 🙂
  3. Joined
    13 Oct '04
    Moves
    17 Jul '12 21:22
    Originally posted by Taoman
    Acceptance is still part of a duality. The "Tathagarta" went beyond acceptance and rejection. The anatman idea is not about acceptance and rejection of a self. It is beyond such.

Koan:

When Banzan was walking through a market he overheard a conversation between a butcher and his customer.

"Give me the best piece of meat you have," said the customer. ...[text shortened]... re any piece of meat that is not the best."

At these words Banzan became enlightened.
    How is this Butcher not practising unconditional acceptance?
  4. Joined
    24 May '10
    Moves
    18 Jul '12 15:461 edit
    Originally posted by JS357
    All things that are presented, comprise a perfect expression of what is.

At least, this was my attitude when I worked in my dad's meat market. 🙂
    Now without a bone to pick,
    my teeth clatter to the floor.

Where can I find the best chop in town?
    I thought Plato's - but then Gautama's looked pretty good.

Bah! I don't trust either of 'em. Just don't ask me why.
    Sumthin's missing.

ó
  5. Joined
    24 May '10
    Moves
    18 Jul '12 16:19
    Originally posted by LordOfTheChessboard
    How is this Butcher not practising unconditional acceptance?
    Sounds a bit like asking someone to tell you they love you, doesn't it?
    The request undermines itself.

Likewise, to me, is "practising" unconditional acceptance. Strange as it sounds, practiisng such, is more relaxing, not to trying to practice. This I must do...this I must not do...is still a form of "for and against", a form of desiring and rejection (conditions) within ourselves, and principally and initially towards ourselves and our own lacking human behaviors. Letting this inner "for and againsting" go entirely is itself unconditional acceptance.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree