1. Standard memberwolfgang59
    Quiz Master
    RHP Arms
    Moves
    20 Oct '12 18:56
    Irish woman Catherine Gowing has gone missing in Wales and is feared murdered.
    http://www.standard.co.uk/panewsfeeds/appeal-to-find-beautiful-sister-8217738.html

My father-in-law is Irish and my sister holidays in Wales.
  2. Standard membergalveston75
    Texasman
    San Antonio Texas
    Moves
    20 Oct '12 19:06
    Originally posted by wolfgang59
    Irish woman Catherine Gowing has gone missing in Wales and is feared murdered.
    http://www.standard.co.uk/panewsfeeds/appeal-to-find-beautiful-sister-8217738.html

My father-in-law is Irish and my sister holidays in Wales.
    Sorry to hear this happens all over the earth. Can we pray for her?
  3. Standard memberAgerg
    The 'edit'or
    converging to it
    Moves
    20 Oct '12 19:172 edits
    Originally posted by galveston75
    Sorry to hear this happens all over the earth. Can we pray for her?
    Assuming (only for the sake of argument) that praying worksReveal Hidden Content
    in the real (non for-the-sake-of-argument) world we live in they don\'t

What's the difference between:
    *clasp hands together, get down on your knees, look at a painting/statue of Jesus/the_cross* "God, please do everything you can to help [insert name of person] I don't know who happens to be in trouble"

and

*clasp hands together, get down on your knees, look at a painting/statue of Jesus/the_cross* "God, please do everything you can to help everyone who is in trouble]"
    ?? 😕

Does it cost omnipotent "G"od more to deal with prayers of the second kind? If not, why are you so selective with your prayers? what do you gain from one person (unknown to you) getting help and all else getting the shaft?
  4. Standard membergalveston75
    Texasman
    San Antonio Texas
    Moves
    20 Oct '12 19:31
    Originally posted by Agerg
    Assuming (only for the sake of argument) that praying works[hidden]in the real (non for-the-sake-of-argument) world we live in they don\'t[/hidden]

[i]*clasp hands together, get down on your knees, look at a painting/statue of Jesus/the_cross* "God, please do everything you can to help [insert name of person] who happens to b ...[text shortened]... prayers? what do you gain from one person getting help and all else getting the shaft?
    First of all I do none of this clapping, bowing down to some idol thingy or play with some snake. I pray to god in my mind and from my heart as the Bible instructs.
    And how do you know what I pray about? Maybe I pray for all injustices in the world and pray that someday they will all be gone. I may even pray for ones like you that I feel sorry for, for not having the slightest idea of who God really is and what he can do.
  5. Standard memberAgerg
    The 'edit'or
    converging to it
    Moves
    20 Oct '12 19:362 edits
    Originally posted by galveston75
    First of all I do none of this clapping, bowing down to some idol thingy or play with some snake. I pray to god in my mind and from my heart as the Bible instructs.
    And how do you know what I pray about? Maybe I pray for all injustices in the world and pray that someday they will all be gone. I may even pray for ones like you that I feel sorry for, for not having the slightest idea of who God really is and what he can do.
    Then why did you ask if you could pray for her if she is already included in the set of all people you pray for by nature of the injustice happening to her?

Furthermore, supposing you do pray that all injustices of the world will be gone, why do you pray for them to be gone "someday" as opposed to some specific day (namely today)?
  6. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    20 Oct '12 19:411 edit
    Assuming (only for the sake of argument) that praying works[hidden]in the real (non for-the-sake-of-argument) world we live in they don\'t[/hidden]

[i]*clasp hands together, get down on your knees, look at a painting/statue of Jesus/the_cross* "God, please do everything you can to help [insert name of person] I don't know who you gain from one person (unknown to you) getting help and all else getting the shaft?
    [/i]Nothing is wrong with either.

It's just that the second is a lot less personal and among humans living on this planet the real meaning can easily be lost amid the debris of the day.

Praying for someone you know (even just by name) puts a very real human face on the problem and brings it down to earth and out of the esoteric where it might remain without some personal involvement, however tenuous.

Also, praying for one person doesn't mean the rest "get the shaft". How typical.
  7. Joined
    16 Jan '07
    Moves
    20 Oct '12 19:48
    Originally posted by Suzianne

It's just that the second is a lot less personal and among humans living on this planet the real meaning can easily be lost amid the debris of the day.

Praying for someone you know (even just by name) puts a very real human face on the problem and brings it down to earth and out of the esoteric where it might remain w ...[text shortened]... enuous.

Also, praying for one person doesn't mean the rest "get the shaft". How typical.
    why does it mater to god if you are putting a 'face on the problem'.

can you give a reason why god would answer a prayer?
  8. Standard memberAgerg
    The 'edit'or
    converging to it
    Moves
    20 Oct '12 19:56
    Originally posted by Suzianne

Praying for someone you know (even just by name) puts a very real human face on the problem and brings it down to earth and out of the esoteric where it might remain w ...[text shortened]... enuous.

So you place a higher value on assigning meaning to a prayer than the supposed practical benefit of a prayer?

If not then why is the second less preferable to the first given the supposition praying actually works!?
  9. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    20 Oct '12 20:06
    So you place a higher value on assigning meaning to a prayer than the supposed practical benefit of a prayer?

If not then why is the second less preferable to the first given the supposition praying actually works!?
    I am sure you have heard it said before. It is all in the eye of the beholder.
    God may see it His way and each of us may see it our way.

HalleluYah !!! Praise the Lord! Holy! Holy! Holy!
  10. Standard memberAgerg
    The 'edit'or
    converging to it
    Moves
    20 Oct '12 20:141 edit
    Originally posted by RJHinds
    I am sure you have heard it said before. It is all in the eye of the beholder.
    God may see it His way and each of us may see it our way.

HalleluYah !!! Praise the Lord! Holy! Holy! Holy!
    I don't recall hearing any person saying "it said before"
  11. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    20 Oct '12 20:22
    I don't recall hearing any person saying "it said before"
    I bet you get a good laugh out of mocking.
  12. Standard memberAgerg
    The 'edit'or
    converging to it
    Moves
    20 Oct '12 20:28
    Originally posted by RJHinds
    I bet you get a good laugh out of mocking.
    I bet you get a good laugh out of trolling! 😵
  13. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    20 Oct '12 20:33
    I bet you get a good laugh out of trolling! 😵
    Yes, I do indeed. Some of you people have funny beliefs. 😀

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree