1. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Joined
    14 Jul '07
    Moves
    43012
    03 May '08 17:061 edit
    Potteries



    Then Job was smitten with "sore boils from the sole of his foot to the crown of his head. And he took a potsherd (shards

    of broken pottery) to scrape himself while he was sitting among the ashes." Job 2:7-8 NASB. What a great OT Book.

    Lost his health, wealth and children. Ditsy wife and fair weather friends forsook him. Through all of this suffering for blessing

    his focus and confidence remained steadfast. God allowed the suffering for a season... and then restored everything

    tenfold (including a brand new hot wife and children). Job's zingers are as incredibly entertaining as his lament is poignant.


    And it's tight writing, Epic.


    😀
  2. SubscriberAThousandYoung
    Just another day
    tinyurl.com/y8wgt7a5
    Joined
    23 Aug '04
    Moves
    24791
    03 May '08 20:221 edit
    Originally posted by Grampy Bobby
    Potteries



    Then Job was smitten with "sore boils from the sole of his foot to the crown of his head. And he took a potsherd (shards

    of broken pottery) to scrape himself while he was sitting among the ashes." Job 2:7-8 NASB. What a great OT Book.

    Lost his health, wealth and children. Ditsy wife and fair weather friends forsook him. Through a credibly entertaining as his lament is poignant.


    And it's tight writing, Epic.


    😀
    Behave, or God will hurt you. He might hurt you anyway. If he does, take it like a man or he might make sure your life is miserable for as long as it lasts.
  3. Joined
    31 Dec '07
    Moves
    6400
    04 May '08 21:14
    Originally posted by Grampy Bobby
    Potteries



    Then Job was smitten with "sore boils from the sole of his foot to the crown of his head. And he took a potsherd (shards

    of broken pottery) to scrape himself while he was sitting among the ashes." Job 2:7-8 NASB. What a great OT Book.

    Lost his health, wealth and children. Ditsy wife and fair weather friends forsook him. Through a ...[text shortened]... credibly entertaining as his lament is poignant.


    And it's tight writing, Epic.


    😀
    I particularly like his incisive rejoinder "suffer me to speak, and after I have spoken mock on!" In my opinion that is one of the most profound utterances in the entire OT.
  4. Cape Town
    Joined
    14 Apr '05
    Moves
    52945
    05 May '08 06:311 edit
    Originally posted by Grampy Bobby
    including a brand new hot wife and children
    Was that not sinful before Jesus? Or was it not sinful because God allowed him to? Yes I know about all the OT polygamists but in this case the adultery is clearly acceptable to God if not directly 'awarded'.
  5. Joined
    04 Feb '05
    Moves
    29132
    05 May '08 07:551 edit
    Originally posted by AThousandYoung
    Behave, or God will hurt you. He might hurt you anyway. If he does, take it like a man or he might make sure your life is miserable for as long as it lasts.
    not like you have anything you can do about it. are you gonna sue god?
    Edit: anyway, job is a moral story, not really part of dogma.
  6. Cape Town
    Joined
    14 Apr '05
    Moves
    52945
    05 May '08 09:46
    Originally posted by Zahlanzi
    not like you have anything you can do about it. are you gonna sue god?
    Edit: anyway, job is a moral story, not really part of dogma.
    For many people every single word and letter in the Bible is 'part of dogma'. One even suspects that the verse numbers and the words "King James" are too.
  7. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Joined
    14 Jul '07
    Moves
    43012
    05 May '08 17:42
    Originally posted by twhitehead
    Was that not sinful before Jesus? Or was it not sinful because God allowed him to? Yes I know about all the OT polygamists but in this case the adultery is clearly acceptable to God if not directly 'awarded'.
    His first wife and his children were removed from the scene by way

    of physical death. Job was perfectly free to marry again and did.

    Marriage is a divine institution and honorable in God's sight. Agree?


    🙂
  8. Cape Town
    Joined
    14 Apr '05
    Moves
    52945
    06 May '08 08:12
    Originally posted by Grampy Bobby
    His first wife and his children were removed from the scene by way

    of physical death. Job was perfectly free to marry again and did.

    Marriage is a divine institution and honorable in God's sight. Agree?


    🙂
    How and why does death of a spouse make a second marriage less of a sin?

    Who killed his first wife and children?
Back to Top