1. Felicific Forest
    Moves
    22 Sep '06 18:561 edit
    FENCES CANNOT STOP PEOPLE FLEEING DICTATORSHIP OF POVERTY

VATICAN CITY, SEP 19, 2006 (VIS) - Yesterday, Archbishop Celesino Migliore, Holy See permanent observer to the United Nations in New York, delivered a talk to the "High-level Meeting on the midterm comprehensive global review of the implementation of the Program of Action for the Least Developed Countries (BPoA) for the Decade 2001-2010." The meeting was held in New York on September 18 and 19.

"The Catholic Church," said the archbishop speaking English, "has undertaken many initiatives in the last decade with a view to bringing both her own members and all people of good will to a greater awareness of the shared responsibility in relation to the problems derived from international trade and finance. ... The Holy See continues to encourage the international community, especially the more developed and medium income countries, to support the implementation of the BPoA, and appeals for a surge of solidarity."

"Twenty years ago, public opinion was moved by those who risked their lives climbing fences that kept them prisoners of dictatorial regimes. Today, millions risk their lives to escape from the dictatorship of poverty. Fences will not stop them. For their good and for the prosperity of all of us, developed countries and least developed countries must implement effective policies such as those found in the BPoA, so that the citizens of least developed countries will choose freely to remain at home, where they can attain ... employment and living conditions that can truly be called dignified."

DELSS/BPOA/MIGLIORE VIS 060919 (260)
  2. Donationrwingett
    Ming the Merciless
    Royal Oak, MI
    Moves
    23 Sep '06 05:39
    Originally posted by ivanhoe
    FENCES CANNOT STOP PEOPLE FLEEING DICTATORSHIP OF POVERTY

VATICAN CITY, SEP 19, 2006 (VIS) - Yesterday, Archbishop Celesino Migliore, Holy See permanent observer to the United Nations in New York, delivered a talk to the "High-level Meeting on the midterm comprehensive global review of the implementation of the Program of Action for the Least Develope ...[text shortened]... OA/MIGLIORE VIS 060919 (260)
    Boring. I think Archbishop Migliore would have gotten more press if he called Bush the devil and said the place still stank of sulfur after his speech there the previous day.
  3. Felicific Forest
    Moves
    23 Sep '06 23:21
    Originally posted by rwingett
    Boring. I think Archbishop Migliore would have gotten more press if he called Bush the devil and said the place still stank of sulfur after his speech there the previous day.
    Right, maybe the Vatican should replace their pr firm with that of Chavez's .....

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree